Suggestions > Message 0 in forum threads

Message 0 in forum threads

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 10/18/2009 4:35:46 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Problem
A simple question can turn out to an interesting thread that goes beyond the original post (and perhaps even stays on topic). For a user looking for certain information, the thread title and first post or two seldom provide enough to understand what they can expect to find in the thread. From a Mod/GM perspective (and perhaps for other forum actives as well), browsing numerous "me too" threads where the users often post a reply to the first message they read sometimes gets pretty time consuming. These threads also push other, often more interesting threads, down the forum.

Solution
Introduce message 0 for the threads. When a Mod/GM thinks it's useful, they could provide a summary (e.g., with links to certain posts in that thread) at the very beginning of the thread (as message 0). The first post of the thread would remain message 1. In case of bug threads (which are perhaps the most typical "me too" threads), it would be easy to inform what the problem is, that it has been confirmed to be a real/global issue, and that there is no need for new posts that provide no new information (the "me too's" that is).