BuzzerBeater Forums

Suggestions > Play Off Modus

Play Off Modus

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 1/9/2008 2:45:48 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Play Best of 3 Series all the way, from quarterfinal to the finals.

The Play offs are by far the most exciting time of the season. the season takes 3 months and all we do during this time is try to optimize the situation in the Play Offs. This might be home court advantage, this might be a high enthusiasm or whatever. So 3 months everyone is looking forward to the Play Offs. Whom will I play most likely. Is my team better.... Everyone who achieves the play-offs is getting excited.
And then after 1 game everything might be over... thats it. u have got to wait another 3months to play Playoffs again.
50% of the teams will qualify for the semis but hey even for them its still 3 month waiting compared to 1 week being really excited unless they are fortune enough to qualify for the finalls. Why not make the play offs even more exciting to all of use. It would bring so much more joy to us. the exciting part of the season gets longer, everyone will be able to change tactics after an loss and think about solutions...and so much more.

The second reason, it would make season much more fairer. 1 game loosing is nothing. so many things might have happened. the team which won the semis, might have been just luckier. Foul trouble, game injury and all other random factors in the GE...
some people will say, they like the fact that small teams have the chance for a surprise. This will happen also happen, using best of 3. the difference is that it is not as random as before and therefore maybe not as often.
for a cup tournament a 1 game series is typical and therefore a character of cup is, a relatively high random factor. However such a random factor is not typical for a normal league championchip or a league u have got the chance to promote.

third reason is CT.I personallya like the idea to focus on special game and then afterwards having a disadvantage because of that. It gives the managers one more tactic choice, which makes the game more interesting. However I dont want to start a discussion on CT in general (I know we have had enough of them). Though I do want to talk about CT during a Play Off series.
A best of 3 series would make using CT more tactical, cause the managers have to decide when to use CT and when does the oppenent use CT. If one team uses Ct during the first two games of the series, the oppenent will feel the disadvantages AND profits of CT. In a one game series one oppenent will feel the disadvanteges from getting Cruch timed and the next will profit.

Considering close Play Offs, with teams only being a tiny bit better:
If your oppenent plays CT in first round, u will loose, if u play normal. If u would play CT instead u will loose next round. So even tough u might be a tiny bit better then your openents, u could have done anything but wont reach finals. U were just a little mor unlucky then the team who played the other first round series. he did nothing better, than u did.
some people might argue that there are several ways to win against a team even though its playing CT against you. It is possible to increase enthusiasm, its possible to use better tactics...and much more... That is not the point. I dont want to talk about even though. All teams should be close to have the same chances. Second reason why this is not the point. I am not talking about situations when one team ist having 11 in enthusiasm and the other 4, I am not talking about one team playing 1-3-1 against Look inside... I am talking about a situation one team is just slightly better then the other, just because of a tiny better player or a small tactical advantages for example.

To sum up I would love best of 3 series, cause it makes the most interesting part of the season longer and even more exciting. it is not as random as before, so u r not losing the whole season just because of 1 game. Third the disadvantages of CT are reduced and the advantage (more tactical choices) even increased.

This Post:
11991.2 in reply to 11991.1
Date: 1/9/2008 3:02:15 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
i agree with this suggestion, but i still see one problem the lenght of the Play Offs ...

maybe we could take the scrimmage spot, so that we have 3 PO games a week, in this case the PO only takes one extra week.

This Post:
11991.4 in reply to 11991.2
Date: 1/9/2008 3:10:53 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
but i still see one problem the lenght of the Play Offs

dont know what u exactly mean. do u mean that its a problem that the season is 2 weeks longer? then I dont aggree. i would not mind playing 3.5 months season instead of 4 months season. (i would rather shorten the regular season, cause its way too hard for me to wait until the play offs start^^)
or do u mean that its too long compared to the ones who did not reach the play offs, cause they have less game => huge less income and less training. then I will definitly agree. However this should not be a problem to fix. There are several possibilties to find solution, to make their longer AND more interesting.

Suggestions:
use Play Downs for relegation:
"5th Great Conference" vs "8th Big Conference"
6th Great vs 7 7th Big
play a best of 5 series
afterwards give the teams of the relegation and teams which did not qualify for next play off round some extra scrimmages

Suggestion 2:
regroup teams from 5th to 8th seed for relegation:
Group A:
5th Great 8 Conference
6th Big 8 Conf.
7th Great 8 Conf.
8th Big 8 Conf.

Group B similar of couse

then those teams will play two times against each other. at the end 3th and 4th of each group will be demoted

Suggestion 3:

same as suggestion 2 but teams take their results from regular season when the played against each other with them. So they regular season results get more importance for them. then they play 2 games against the teams from the other conf. and 1 team against the team from the same Conf. (the higher seeded team will get home court advantages in this game). So they have played all teams 3 times.

and many more solutions....

Edited by Huzzel (1/9/2008 3:25:47 PM CET)

Last edited by Huzzel at 1/9/2008 3:25:47 PM

This Post:
11991.5 in reply to 11991.4
Date: 1/9/2008 3:15:39 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
or do u mean that its too long compared to the ones who did not reach the play offs. then I will definitly agree.

thats my point, the 5 and the 8 place would have a long time without an arena income or intresting games.

This Post:
11991.6 in reply to 11991.5
Date: 1/9/2008 3:42:16 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I like your idea about taking the scrimmages away, when a tiebreaker is needed. It will change the character of the game though. Teams would have 3 importang games a week. To me it would be more challenging, therefore more interesting but many people might not like to change the character of the game for the most important part of the seson. Maybe I am wrong and many will like, dont know...

I like LA-RAAMlers suggestion as well!

btw: i have edited my post while u answered it, sry

This Post:
11991.7 in reply to 11991.6
Date: 1/9/2008 11:44:56 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I like your idea about taking the scrimmages away, when a tiebreaker is needed. It will change the character of the game though. Teams would have 3 importang games a week.

I don't think that will be changed the charakter of the game, at the beginning of the season(and maybe much longer), you had 3 games too(one cup and 2 league games). So it was allready better to have a competitive lineup for 3 games.

This Post:
11991.8 in reply to 11991.1
Date: 1/10/2008 8:11:46 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I absolutely agree with You and hope it would be changed soon!!!

This Post:
11991.9 in reply to 11991.1
Date: 1/10/2008 10:23:41 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I absolutely agree on the first post.

And I also agree that we could take SC spot and play 3 games a week so play-offs would last 3 weeks.

I also think that grouping the lower part of the conferences together to decide who gets demoted is also a good idea. In that case they'd have some home games and got some money.

Edited by Boogz (1/10/2008 10:24:57 AM CET)

Last edited by Boogz at 1/10/2008 10:24:57 AM

This Post:
11991.10 in reply to 11991.9
Date: 1/10/2008 9:35:18 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
As I said before I absolutely agree that the PO-Modus should be changed - we need more matches (Best of Three matches) to decide who will progress - but I think it is not a good idea to group the lower part of the conference together to decide who gets demoted...

I think a better idea is to play only more matches, more matches for any team also for the 5th and for the 8th...

My advice would look so:

Current Schedule

12.01 sat last league match current season
15.01 tue quarterfinals (only 1 match) - relegation match 1
17.01 thu scrimmage for all
18.01 fri privateleague
19.01 sat semifinals (only 1 match) - relegation match 2 - all other scrimmage?
22.01 tue finals match 1 - relegation match 3 - all other scrimmage?
24.01 thu scrimmage for all
25.01 fri privateleague
26.01 sat finals match 2 - all other scrimmage?
27.01 son endgame (finals match 3) - all other free of play
29.01 tue all free of play
31.01 thu scrimmage for all
01.02 fri privateleague
02.02 sat first league match new season

I hope thats correct and I think right...

and so it could be if 3 matches played into quarter- and semifinals, the 5th and 8th placed teams play also 3 matches - of course position 8 would be demoted, it is only to pay one's last respect and to get some more matches, experience and revenues -> more fairness

12.01 sat last league match of current season
15.01 tue quaterfinals match 1 - relegation match 1 - best 5th match 1 - placed 8th scrimmage?
16.01 wed quarterfinals match 2 - placed 5th and 8th free of play
17.01 thu quarterfinals match 3 - placed 5th + 8th has scrimmage
18.01 fri privateleague
19.01 sat semifinals match 1 - relegation match 2 - best 5th match 2 - best 8th match 1 - best 3rd match 1
22.01 tue semifinals match 2 - relegation match 3 - best 5th match 3 - best 8th match 2 - best 3rd match 2
24.01 thu semifinals match 3 - all other scrimmage
25.01 fri privateleague
26.01 sat finals match 1 - best 8th match 3 - best 3rd match 3 - all other scrimmage?
29.01 tue finals match 2 - all other scrimmage?
31.01 thu endgame (finals match 3) - all other scrimmage
01.02 fri privateleague
02.02 sat first league match new season

Thats my idea to change the PO-Modus!

OK, in the first week these teams which are involved into quarterfinals must play maybe 4 matches (if quarterfinals needs 3 matches!) but we would have Best of Three Modus for quarter-, semi- and finals and also the 5th and 8th placed teams would no more have an disadvantaged positions because of waiting to the end of season and much more less matches, experience and revenues == more fairness

Please tell me what are you thinking about this possible idea!

Thanks OJAY

This Post:
11991.11 in reply to 11991.10
Date: 1/10/2008 10:42:23 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I agree with this suggestion ( I also opened a similar thread last season) and do not see any problems at all:
- concerning the length of the season, if we don;t want to increase it then simply use extra days during the play offs!
- concerning the training minutes: simply neutralize all these extra games! (like in private leagues)

Having longer playoffs would be a huge improvement for this game (different tactics from one game to another, more fun..). It is after all the time of the season when the best teams play between each other, and 1 game is simply not enough.