BuzzerBeater Forums

Help - English > Do doctors have hidden attributes?

Do doctors have hidden attributes?

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 3/17/2011 10:42:12 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
For my first 4 seasons I had a minimal doctor. I bought an advanced doctor this season and have had, no exaggeration, more injuries this season so far than the first 4 seasons combined. I'm getting very frustrated with this, and don't know what to do other than manage my players minutes well, which I do.

So the only thing I've done different this season from previous to deserve this is get a better doctor. Could more injuries be the doctor's fault?

Group hug!
This Post:
177753.2 in reply to 177753.1
Date: 3/17/2011 10:51:50 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Injuries happen randomly it does not matter what doctor you have. The doctor only minimizes the injuries when an injury happens. And if you buy a doctor after the injury has happen it will have no affect.

This Post:
177753.3 in reply to 177753.1
Date: 3/17/2011 10:53:46 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
You advanced to D.III this year and are getting crushed by more experienced D.III teams. Your players are over reaching themselves to compete and getting injured against the more highly skilled opponents. Completely normal when playing against stronger teams. I'd hate to see what would have happened if you had kept your Minimal doctor.

This Post:
177753.4 in reply to 177753.2
Date: 3/18/2011 6:39:13 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
From the manual: Doctors help reduce the severity of player injuries. Once a player is injured, a Doctor will also help him heal more quickly, but the effect is much smaller than the initial reduction in severity.

This Post:
177753.5 in reply to 177753.3
Date: 3/18/2011 7:24:45 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I thought it's viceversa...when you compete against an opponent with bad defense, his players will more likely injure yours because they don't know how to play good defense...

This Post:
177753.7 in reply to 177753.3
Date: 3/18/2011 11:22:31 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
You advanced to D.III this year and are getting crushed by more experienced D.III teams. Your players are over reaching themselves to compete and getting injured against the more highly skilled opponents. Completely normal when playing against stronger teams. I'd hate to see what would have happened if you had kept your Minimal doctor.

Interesting, never heard of this...is there data or a thread to corroberate this?

If so, how does this play out?
1. Does being outmatched teams in scrimmages or cup games result in more injuries? Because I've certainly been outmatched in many games over the seasons without noticing a higher likelyhood of injuries.
2. Do injuries occur more often in general in higher leagues with stronger players? Would being a weak team in the NBBA result in more injuries than being a weak team in III?
3. Would injuries be more likely to happen to the weaker players on an outmatched team?

Last edited by fewmit at 3/18/2011 11:23:32 AM

Group hug!
This Post:
177753.8 in reply to 177753.3
Date: 3/18/2011 11:27:28 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
This is totally wrong.Plus there is no evidence confirming what you're saying.

I want what all men want...I just want it more.

This Post:
177753.9 in reply to 177753.7
Date: 3/18/2011 11:35:23 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
From everything I've seen, it's all anecdotal evidence. I certainly haven't seen a decent study of Doctors vs team strength vs injuries. I've looked into hundreds of games in various aspects to get a better handle on game mechanics, but I personally haven't actually recorded injuries and known statistics to find any solid correlations. It would be an interesting study in any case.

From what I've experienced and seen in various games I've looked over:

1 - My personal luck in Scrimmages are horrible. Almost all my injuries come from them. However, looking at multiple other teams and their scrimmages, it just looks like bad luck for me and that no particular weight is given to these games. Cup games are even harder to tell as the sample size is so small compared to normal season games.

2 - From what research I've done into it, it seems to occur more when there is an offset in player strengths as opposed to Strong vs Strong. From what I've seen in various games it appears that weaker teams tend to rack up injuries very easily. This could also simply be a factor of the stronger team tending to have a higher Doctor level so they don't experience the injuries that the weaker team pulls down. Part of the problem with studying this particular issue is that there are so many unknowns. No way to know any Doctor level but your own. No way to know player aggressiveness. No way to know Enthusiasm for any given team. Any or all of these could have a definite impact on injuries.

3 - I haven't noticed this. From what I've seen, injuries tend to occur more often on larger mismatches, but not necessarily to a weaker player. IE, a 10K Center vs a 140K Center is a bit of a danger, but a 5K PG vs a 5K PG doesn't seem to have the same effect, even though the 10K Center and 5K PG are on the same team and playing at the same time.

This Post:
177753.11 in reply to 177753.8
Date: 3/18/2011 11:42:24 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
@James

As I stated, I don't have solid confirmation. I haven't ran a concerted bit of research, nor has anyone else that I've ever seen. I can however state what I believe from viewing games/box scores/player history. If you think I'm wrong, I'd love to see the research to the contrary.

One thing I do think is interesting and could have an impact is the seeming "New Doctor causes injuries" although personally I think that this is just negative reinforcement. Someone buys a new doctor, happens to get an injury next game and therefore the new Doctor caused the injury. If it *is* a greater chance, that's another unknown to factor into any research on injuries in general.