BuzzerBeater Forums

Help - English > New Managers - Whose Advice Should I Use?

New Managers - Whose Advice Should I Use?

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 6/20/2012 3:56:35 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Dear New Manager,

Congrats, you have decided to play Buzzer Beater. This is a fun and thoughtful way to use some of your down time on the computer. Congrats also because you have found the forums. This could put you on a path of success. Please continue to explore every facet of the BuzzerBeater Game including the Game Manual, Guide to Buzzer Beater, and the Help Forum.

At some point you may be asking a question on here or you may be reading a thread where someone else asks a question you had and you will see a variety of advice. This may lead you to question "Whose Advice Should I Take?" Let me recommend a few simple questions to ask yourself.

1. Do I like this advice?
Ultimately, it's your team, do what you want to do. There are many ways to get to the top of buzzer beater you need to travel the path that you enjoy going. And for your own sake, please, never do anything in this game that you do not understand. If you don't know why you are doing something, ask, ask, and ask again. You can blow through your start-up cash in an instant in ways you will regret for a while. Please know why you are doing anything.

2. Has more than one person given you this advice?
In the multitude of counselors there is safety. The number of people telling you to do the something may be an indicator that it is sound advise.

3. Has the person giving you advice had success in this game?
OK, there are many kind, friendly, and even well informed players of this game that are still relatively new to the game, and these sweethearts are often the first ones to shovel the advice at you. I am not saying that they are always wrong, BUT, unless you are looking for advice on how to stay in division 4 or 5 I suggest you look to someone who has progressed beyond that level.

4. Does this give me a competitive advantage?
Not to disagree with my earlier point about doing the popular thing, BUT, sometimes it may pay in the long term to do the unpopular thing. If everyone in your division has one type of player or plays one style of play it may pay dividends to try a different approach. But be careful because some things are just dum and should never be tried.

My last piece of advice is to find a mentor. Their are hundreds of smart players who love this game and would be happy to coach you through the process. But if you do rely on someone for advise, take the advice. Their is nothing more frustrating than spending an hour researching a newer player's team and league only to have them do something completely the opposite of your advice.

Last edited by Valubadag at 6/21/2012 10:54:57 PM

This Post:
220500.2 in reply to 220500.1
Date: 6/21/2012 1:46:33 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Amendement to #3.

Has the person with success had a history fo relegating back down, and promoting back up. If so, it means they have probably peaked.

This Post:
220500.3 in reply to 220500.1
Date: 6/21/2012 6:32:17 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Amendment to #2: *there

Just generally, your piece is very US-centered (or even 'big nation'). I get that... but perhaps you could remove some of the references there, and it would be applicable across a broader spectrum of new users.

http://with-malice.com/ - The half-crazed ramblings of a Lakers fanatic in Japan
This Post:
220500.4 in reply to 220500.1
Date: 6/28/2012 12:32:10 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
2 and 4 are a bit contrary, and i wouldn't give to much about 3. Since i am quite succesful and experienced, that should be considered as true ;)

Last edited by CrazyEye at 6/28/2012 12:32:36 PM