BuzzerBeater Forums

Suggestions > Passing Training for Wings/Forwards

Passing Training for Wings/Forwards

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 12/6/2013 9:53:20 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
As it is now, you can only train passing for PG, SG, and Team. To my knowledge, team training isn't that worthwhile. This makes training for SF, PF, and C more difficult, and thus less frequent, leading to many poor-passing big men. I wonder if in the game engine, better passing big men lead to more successful outside-oriented offenses. And if that's the case, the difficulty of training passing on big men might be leading to weaker outside teams and stronger inside teams.

I'd like to see passing training available for Forwards or Wings. There are plenty of big men in real life who can pass. And they're not necessarily the best inside shooters (ie they don't have to dominate in LI offenses). I think this could help lessen LI dominance.

This Post:
251301.2 in reply to 251301.1
Date: 12/6/2013 11:36:23 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
As it is now, you can only train passing for PG, SG, and Team. To my knowledge, team training isn't that worthwhile. This makes training for SF, PF, and C more difficult, and thus less frequent, leading to many poor-passing big men. I wonder if in the game engine, better passing big men lead to more successful outside-oriented offenses. And if that's the case, the difficulty of training passing on big men might be leading to weaker outside teams and stronger inside teams.

I'd like to see passing training available for Forwards or Wings. There are plenty of big men in real life who can pass. And they're not necessarily the best inside shooters (ie they don't have to dominate in LI offenses). I think this could help lessen LI dominance.

Good passing on big men helps LI just as much or maybe more than most outside offenses. But there's definitely room for some modifications to the whole training system to make it somewhat easier to train more balanced players without making it something that's accomplished with no effort whatsoever.

This Post:
251301.3 in reply to 251301.2
Date: 1/30/2014 9:35:18 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I love this idea, it would give more variety to the players. Creating point forwards and post-playmaker big men. Then you end up with guys like Pau Gasol of the Lakers who's a tremendous passer in the post. I think this should be implemented ASAP

Last edited by Scotty Craft™ at 2/15/2014 4:31:11 PM

This Post:
251301.4 in reply to 251301.3
Date: 1/31/2014 10:55:14 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I thought of Brad Miller and Vlade Divac myself....

This Post:
251301.6 in reply to 251301.5
Date: 2/5/2014 5:35:42 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I had to Google Joel Anthony, because I had no idea who he is. He's just an awful player all-around. He can't pass, but he also can't shoot or rebound. Career stats 3 RPG, 2.4 PPG, 0.2 APG.

I'm not saying I want training to be easy. I love that it's challenging. I just think the game would be improved if at least Wings could be trained at passing. Everyone on a team has to pass. JS training is available for Wings and Forwards. Why not Passing?

The NBA is full of Centers and PFs that can pass. I'm a Warriors fan so I'll reference what I know... David Lee and Andrew Bogut are good-passing big men.

This Post:
251301.8 in reply to 251301.7
Date: 2/8/2014 2:47:02 PM
Neverwinter
CGBBL
Overall Posts Rated:
You're right, more centers would have good passing then

This Post:
251301.9 in reply to 251301.1
Date: 2/11/2014 3:13:20 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Plenty of guards can rebound in real life too, but in BB you have to train them as centers. This is surely done to ensure that rebounding remains a skill chiefly possessed by big men. Since there are no passing penalties for height in BB, allowing F/C passing training would make wings and bigs as good or better than guards at passing. You can still train great passers at all positions by planning your training correctly. I do it all the time.

This Post:
251301.10 in reply to 251301.9
Date: 2/12/2014 4:57:14 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Well, I think passing and rebounding training is different, for two main reasons:

1) Every player on a team needs to be able to pass. Not every player needs to be able to rebound. You can still have an effective basketball team if your PG doesn't rebound. However, you can't have your Center passing the ball out of bounds all the time. I'm not saying the PF/C need to be the best passers on the team, but surely the C is going to touch the ball during an offensive possession and need to be able to pass to a teammate.

2) IMO, you can train guards out of position easier than big men. If you play your PG at PF or C on offense, you can play him back at PG on defense. On offense, he doesn't need to get the ball in the post or be a scorer offensively. No big deal, he's just not as involved in the offensive scoring. He won't take inside shots. However, if you play your Center at PG, he HAS to handle the ball and pass the ball. He HAS to be involved on offense because the offense starts with the PG position.

So I don't think it's the same comparing rebounding and passing.

All that said, I like the fact that training in BB is challenging. And I train my players out of position all the time as well. But I think the training aspect of the game would be improved if passing training was at least allowed for Wing players. Playing your C at SF is a sacrifice, but can be accomplished.