Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 3/14/2015 1:32:55 PM
Kira Kira Koseki
II.3
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Yubi Yubi
I for one feel that the salary formula could use some tweaks. The formulas for Power Forwards and Centers are mostly balanced, if a bit restrictive on just how good a player can become before their salary becomes unmanageable. But the perimeter positions have some issues that I believe is contributing to the game engine being too far biased towards inside offence. This is why;

- Jump Shot is far too expensive for Small Forwards, whilst Inside Shot has almost no effect in the SF formula, and doesn't effect the PG or SG formulas either.

- Outside Defence is very cheap for all perimeter positions compared to how useful it is in game, being the main skill that shuts down both outside scoring and offensive flow.

- Jump Range is widely considered an inferior skill to Jump Shot, yet remains the more expensive skill in the PG and SG formulas.

Hence, I feel that an overhaul to the salary formula would be the best way to re-balance inside vs outside scoring and offensive tactics in the game... but the problem, which I'm sure BB-Marin realises also, is that making too radical a change risks making the players carefully built around the current salary formula inefficient, making a lot of managers angry. I have a solution however...

Skill Re-Allocation

I know a couple of other online sports games that have used this solution after making a big change to the way their skills work and feel that it could be the answer to our salary formula dilemma here. By allowing managers to, for the first couple of weeks of the season you introduce the new salary formula, adjust the skill sets of their players using a 'training points' system of sorts, you can potentially make major changes to the salary formula without having to worry about existing players becoming de-valued and managers getting angry. You may even be able to combine this with other changes to how skills work, such as displaying them on a different scale (for example 0-100 instead of 1-20), or making tweaks to training speeds (though that might become complicated).

It might not be an easy thing to implement, but I have a feeling that this could work wonders for the overall balance of the game if you were able to implement it, as you'd then have a lot more freedom to change and re-balance the salary formula. Then your only problem would be making sure that the salary formula change actually works...

Last edited by Jay (OTT) at 3/14/2015 1:34:53 PM

This Post:
268299.3 in reply to 268299.2
Date: 3/16/2015 6:16:34 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
switching is and rb in guard formula might do it.

This Post:
268299.5 in reply to 268299.1
Date: 3/29/2015 8:47:51 AM
Kinky Koalas
II.4
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Down Under Drop Bears
Another way to look at it is that it takes a small while to realise which skills are most important to train. OD is a big part of basketball but it isn't necessarily recognised and, worse, paid for.

So, a perspective shift could make it a good thing. It could be one of those things that when you work it out, you feel good about having done so.