BB USA > FML Radio: Tanking (A-Dub)

FML Radio: Tanking (A-Dub)

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 3/13/2016 11:33:27 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
FML Radio Episode One

Hello, and welcome to the first episode of FML Radio! That's Flash Masher Life Radio, and for all you kids at home a Radio is what we used before parents started buying iPads for three year olds.

FML Radio has covered the storied Flash Masher franchise since its start in Season 11, but now we are going to shake things up a bit. Each week we will have an episode covering a certain topic in the BB universe. To aid in our conversation, each week I will also invite a guest to answer a few questions about their team in relation to the topic at hand.

So let's get right into it.

Tanking

We've all heard the word, we always love when our league mates are doing it, and we've all considered it at one point. For new teams, there are no actual tanks involved. Except possibly in the case of GM-hrudey, as the hole he's going to blow into his franchises success may require an actual tank. No, tanking is the process of dumping as much salary from your roster as possible, saving disgusting amounts of money each week, and intentionally losing to earn the best draft pick and more money. I personally have done it, and it is a long grueling process but one that is highly rewarding after several months, to years, of boredom.

To talk a little more about tanking we want to welcome this weeks guest to the show.... *drum roll*

A-Dub!
(http://i.imgur.com/NnelR.gif)

A-Dub is the manager of the Upsyndrome franchise. Currently sitting at the top of the extremely competitive Great 8 of the NBBA they are hot off of a double victory in the USA Cup, and their first NBBA title.

It hasn't always been kicks and giggles for A-Dub though. He started his team through a major tanking process which started by my estimates back in Season 22. That's early 2013.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Chekreyes: A-Dub! Welcome to the show
A-Dub: Awesome, I love this idea. I'm happy to be a part of it!

C: We're happy to have you! Let's dive on in. Why don't you tell us a bit about yourself. Who is the real A-Dub?
A: Well, via my Myspace page I created at age 13, "about me":

Hi, I'm aaron ward and I'm an alcoholic. I've got a disease but the doctors don't know what to call it. Word. So you better hide your freakin' wallet. Yeah, so as you can see Eminem and I have a lot in common...we're both white.

Now here's my grindr intro....

Just kidding! The real A-dub, huh? For all you ladies out there, I like to take long walks on the beach....I'm 24 years old and live in Northern California near Sacramento; Love sports, and fitness. I would like to become a personal trainer and am currently pursing a degree in business. Most importantly, I love meeting new people and having fun! That's what it's all about.

C: So what got you into playing BuzzerBeater, and how long have you been managing your team?
A: My older brother introduced me to this game when I was in highschool, back in 2009; I joined midway through season 8 (My brother is still active, but has been aimlessly tanking since the day he started playing BB. Wink-y face).

C: Your team, Upsyndrome, recently won the USA Cup and the NBBA championship.
(http://i.imgur.com/9ba8aWS.png)
What prepared your team for that kind of success in one season?

A: I've been playing this game for years. I've gained valuable experience at each level. Each season, my goal is to win a championship; when I fail to do so and I know my team can not be improved anymore, I retool it, using newly acquired experience to improve my team even better than before, preparing my self so I am ready next time around.

Last edited by Chekreyes at 3/13/2016 11:37:47 AM

This Post:
277929.2 in reply to 277929.1
Date: 3/13/2016 11:33:45 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
continued... (man I need a bigger character limit)

A (Continued): Back in season 21, I promoted to D-II for the first time and, to my surprise, my team made it to as far as the semifinals that season. After the fun was over, the next season, I knew my team had taken me as far as It could and I tanked. By the time I got to the NBBA I was ready.

C: Who's your favorite player on your team and why?
A: This one is close between Kris Hunt and Shawn Bowens. I have to give it up to Shawn Bowens; he's a beast, an NBBA MVP and one of the best USNT players to ever play. And let's not forget about that 20 IS!

(http://i.imgur.com/i44T5en.png)

C: Aside from Bowens and Hunt, you were able to create quite a few unique players because of your tanking period like Darryl Meek and Johnny Kearny - both of which you personally drafted. What advice would you have for teams that are planning on, or are in the process of, long term tanking?
A: Invest as much money as possible into the draft! It's cheap and it's a great way to rebuild your team around a stud US prospect. I always aim for the top selection as I want to ensure I acquire the best available prospects. Acquire the highest level trainer possible and develop your trainees into elite players, the best in the world. Save lots money, and don't for get to invest into your arena! When your trainees are ready, make your way up the ranks!

C: Do you think it’s possible to “wait out” the market crisis by tanking and hope prices normalize again? Along those same lines, is tanking a viable strategy for the average team?
A: Sure, you could wait it out. However, you might be waiting a long time. The economy is always changing. It's a challenging part of this game, but hey, I love challenges.

C: What the hell does YCU stand for?
A: Haha, I've been meaning to edit that out of my logo. It stands for Yuba City: the city I was born and raised in.

C: Describe the NBBA with a haiku that involves the word “orphan”
A: I had to google "haiku." I hate poems.

Uhh....

Like an orphan we wait
NBBA title is on the line
it's time to shine?

Chek *trying not to laugh at that 'haiku'*: If you could implement one change in BB, whether it be a rule change or a change in user habits, what would it be?
A: An influx of Lvl 5+ staff (trainers specifically). More "supply" for demand. That would lower staff prices, allowing more managers to acquire higher level trainers and develop better prospects as a result.

C: What is all this hubbub about Mystic Pizza?
A: It's an inside joke started by shikago (23424), however, he's the only one in on it. Mystic Pizza is a movie, a lame one. So lame, in fact, that Shikago loves to reference it as much as possible in reply to any of my posts.

C: How well do you think you'll perform in the B3 tournament this season?
A: I couldn't say, this is a new experience for me and I've never faced any of these teams before; it'll be the ultimate challenge -- against the best teams in the world. I will say this, however: I am very confident in the team I have built and I intend to win the s34 B3 title, that's the goal. No American has ever won a B3 title and that's something I want to change.
-------------------------------------------------------------

There you go folks! You heard it here first. A-Dub, a product of multiple seasons of tanking and his advice on the matter. It's worked well for him as he intends to win the B3 title, a feat that not even Brian of King Drive Balllers ever managed to accomplish.

If you liked this week's episode please +1 the posts so I know whether or not I should keep doing these each Sunday. Also if you have any ideas for the next episode or who should guest star, send

Last edited by Chekreyes at 3/13/2016 11:35:23 AM

This Post:
277929.3 in reply to 277929.2
Date: 3/13/2016 11:34:03 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
...me a BB-Mail or add your thoughts below! Thanks for tuning in!

Last edited by Chekreyes at 3/13/2016 5:29:54 PM

This Post:
277929.4 in reply to 277929.3
Date: 3/13/2016 5:31:57 PM
Upsyndrome
III.15
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Upsyndrome II
I really wish I would have given that haiku more thought, now.

Great job, Chek! I look forward to more episodes! +1

"You will lose." -Ivan Drago

This Post:
277929.6 in reply to 277929.3
Date: 3/13/2016 11:15:51 PM
Upsyndrome
III.15
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Upsyndrome II
Episode #2
Topic - ?
I nominate: GM-Jason

"You will lose." -Ivan Drago

This Post:
277929.8 in reply to 277929.7
Date: 3/14/2016 7:37:22 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I'm loving the idea of flooding the staff market with trainers.

That might actually be a reality soon http://www.buzzerbeater.com/community/forum/read.aspx?thr...

And to answer the earlyier question: A team earns money from tanking because they essentially don't have to pay salaries. Imagine your weekly finance numbers if that section that reads 'salaries' was cut in half.

This Post:
277929.10 in reply to 277929.4
Date: 3/15/2016 5:26:04 AM
Milwaukee Lethargy
III.8
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Miłwaukee Lethargy
"Then A-Dub remembered the word Annabeth Gish had spoken: "Before the rooster crows, you will disown Mystic Pizza three times." And he went outside and wept bitterly.

This Post:
277929.11 in reply to 277929.4
Date: 3/15/2016 5:29:11 AM
Milwaukee Lethargy
III.8
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Miłwaukee Lethargy
Flashback

Now A-Dub was sitting out in the courtyard, and a servant girl came to him. “You love Mystic Pizza,” she said. But he denied it before them all. “I don’t know what you’re talking about,” he said.

Then he went out to the gateway, where another servant girl saw him and said to the people there, “This fellow loves Mystic Pizza.” He denied it again, with an oath: “I don’t know the movie!”

After a little while, those standing there went up to A-Dub and said, “Surely you are one of them; your portable VHS player gives you away.” Then he began to call down curses, and he swore to them, “I don’t love the movie! It's lame!” Immediately a rooster crowed.