Global Leagues

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 9/23/2016 5:57:39 PM
Innovatus
III.12
Overall Posts Rated:
What if instead of having all these leagues across multiple nations, everyone was just in one big pool?

This way you can have players from micro-nations compete against other teams closer to their own rank, instead of a league full of bots. This would also place new players at a fair starting point against other new players across the globe, instead of being stuck at the bottom of a D4 league against active players that have been playing for multiple seasons. Whenever a new player signs up, give them a team in the bottom division of this global league, instead of throwing them into D3 or D4 just because someone went inactive or was banned.

Add every nation into the game, and then have the draftees of the different leagues be from the nations within that league. For example, if the nations in League III.3 are only Canada, USA, Jamaica, and China, then the draftees will only have those nationalities. An alternative is to randomize all of the nationalities for all of the draftees in the game.

You can keep the National Tournament, but have the micronations grouped into Regional Tournaments. For example, all players from El Salvador, Nicaragua, Guatemala, Honduras would be in a Regional Tournament, but would represent their own nation with their flag.

Keep national teams the way they are initially. Consider merging micronations into regional teams to compete against the rest of the world.

Because the main leagues would essentially be BuzzerBeater's Best, an alternative is necessary. I have no clue what kind of tournament you could substitute it with. Possibly the best players from each continent could be invited, instead of the best from each country.

Lastly, the free supporter would go to the champion of League I.1, since there would be no BuzzerBeater's Best.

This has probably been discussed before. I dont know how difficult this would be to implement or if the community would be in favor of this, but just wanted to throw this out there.

This Post:
282324.3 in reply to 282324.2
Date: 9/23/2016 6:36:12 PM
Innovatus
III.12
Overall Posts Rated:
Thanks for the feedback. I didn't consider the language barrier.

For the players that would have issues communicating in their own language, they would still have their own nation's forum to talk with one another.

This Post:
282324.6 in reply to 282324.2
Date: 11/5/2016 9:01:42 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
How much are "league forums" even used? Some more than others I guess?

Both my Canada and Utopia league have less than 5 messages in the last 2 seasons.

Just one example I know, but it seems like if this is the norm, using it as a reason not to merge is pretty thin.

I would take increased competition across all leagues at the expense of the odd forum message between league mates any day. Let the game results do the talking for you.

This Post:
282324.8 in reply to 282324.1
Date: 11/17/2016 11:16:08 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
What if instead of having all these leagues across multiple nations, everyone was just in one big pool?

Of course that is the way to go. The answer you'll get from the powers is that it is too hard to code, so they'll just let BB fade away. They're not going to undertake a difficult coding project just to save the game. They're going to tinker with a relatively meaningless combination of micro-nations instead. Too bad.

This Post:
282324.10 in reply to 282324.9
Date: 11/22/2016 3:27:41 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Oh, yes, this reminds me that I forgot to say how closed-minded the powers are about all this. Utopia proves it is possible to have a "global league across any timezone with games played at any moment." It can be done while retaining your country's flag.

It can result in leagues full of human coaches playing on a relatively even playing field against teams of comparable strength. Even, fair competition. But of course who wants that?

This Post:
282324.11 in reply to 282324.9
Date: 11/26/2016 12:16:56 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Okay I have a question for you or any other BB: has BuzzerBeater lost a higher percentage of users in larger nations, medium-sized nations, or in micronations? The answer to this should tell us if a Global League would work or not.

Last edited by ______ (NZ National Team) at 11/27/2016 2:11:14 AM