BuzzerBeater Forums

Suggestions > Buzzerbeater Hall of Fame (community)

Buzzerbeater Hall of Fame (community)

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 1/23/2017 3:52:59 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I've been having this idea for a while now. And some communities (shout out to the canadian one) already have some sort of hall of fame .

Teams have hall of fames to honor their players. Yet Buzzerbeater hasn't got a way to honor some of the managers who made exceptional contributions to BB.

just out of the top of my mind, i'm thinking of Naker Virus (his FAQ, which is being updated by others, where he gathere all the info in one spot, is still used by most of the starting members and even by some veterans to check up on things.) Lord of Doom (helping multiple communities, taking care of a huge amount of translation work, always trying to take everyone into consideration), Perpete (who might not be everyone favorite staffmember) and the other BB's (both former and current, for without them we would have this great game) are all names who, in my opinion, and i reckon in the opinion of most other users (unless you haven't had the priviledge of knowing them) all are worthy of a some recognition of what they've contributed to the game and it's community. (the list is probably a lot longer, but i've just named a couple who've come to my mind.

Now i can see the difficulties with this idea:
1) which criteria should be used to determine if they are BB HoF worthy
2) how does one get nominated
3) who gets to decide if he's worthy of the recognition (and how will that process be done).
4) how will they be represented in the HoF

There are just a couple of problems (there could likely be more) that need to be solved before it could be considered for implementation. Since my idea might not be the best, i'm posting it here to see if anyone has better idea's on how to tackle the difficulties that would come with that part

1) criteria
since contributions can be made globally or nation wide, i reckon these should be seperated from eachother. For now, i'm advocating for a BB wide HoF, since that would clearly be easier to implement, not to mention that the people who made significant contributions had a BB wide impact (and not just in their nations), meaning its consequences were positive for most (it not all) of the community. In a later stage, one could consider a nation wide HoF (The canadian example could serve as a good model to start from and might be good enough to implement right away). so for now, my only criteria would be that they have a big impact on a large amount of BB users (large as in let's say the entire language group of that region. for those who don't understand it: all english speaking users, all german speaking users, ... it consists of more than just one nation)

2) how does one get nominated
any user can nominate anyone, but they' have to provide a reason as to why the person should be nominated. a little introduction as to why the user is deemed worthy. (what has he accomplished. who benefitted from it, why was it so well received, ...

This Post:
284552.2 in reply to 284552.1
Date: 1/23/2017 3:53:17 PM
Overall Posts Rated:

3) election process
this is the one part where i'm still struggling with. how does one elect a user.
My initial suggestion would be that a group of people ( 4 staffmembers (BB's, GM's, LA's, Mods) and 12 users from the forum (these can be local or global forums) should be appointed who were active within the last season. they should then judge his worthyness. However, a catch should be made. whoever gets suggested should have been a good BB managers. An occasional brush in with the staff could be overlooked (everyone makes a mistake every now and then) however multiple run ins mean you've not been willing to play by the rules set forth by the BB's, hence meaning that you tried to either intimidate people on the forum or gain personal gains in an unfair way. (one can argue that Wolph and Pini (just to name 2) had good intentions for BB, but the way you go about your bussiness should also count. and their ways were wrong, no matter how you look at it.) If the group of 16 deem the member worthy enough, then the rest of the community should provide enough support to get him elected (i reckon a support of 200 members shouldn't be to much. a quick post in the communities asking for support should get you 200 approvals from the entire BB community, providing that he actually had a decent impact. mind you, the 200 is just a number i'm putting out. it's something that should be carefully considered. it has to be high enough so that only the special managers who deserve BB wide recognition, are able to be elected.

4) representation
a little medal, with their user name, along with a short text (500 word reference to his most important contributions) of their accomplishments, should suffice. It would require a little link in the menu somewhere so that all could acces the BB HoF.

By doing this, we get to pay homage and our due respect to the manager who have helped this game evolve. Who really had an impact and helped making BB a best basketball simulation game.

now, the potential problems i still for see:
*) appointment of the 16 'selection' commission. This will be the hardest part. it should be random, but those who are chosen should be willing to do it as well, else there is no point being on that commission.
*) the amount of inductees we have each season. i'm unsure if a limit should be set (so that we first vote in those who are most worthy) or if we should allow everyone who's worthy to be voted in right away. and if we should set a limit (to make sure the commity doesn't have to much work) then what should that limit be?
*) normally, GM's aren't allowed to discuss pasts of certain users in public. however, that would be required in his evaluation process (else there is little transparency in the veto from a staff member). It's preferable to avoid mentioning all his mistakes, but a simple no from a staffmember would be as if you give the staff a blind veto, which isn't really acceptable in making a fair and neutral commission.
*) the amount of support one should get to be elected (what should it's number be?) or should he automatically be elected if the commission approves of him. (if it's'committie election, then they might have to go through 100+ candicacies)
*) how to put up people for consideration of the BB HoF
*) is there a time limit on eligibility (so that we don’t have to review the same candidacies over and over again
*) maybe something about the voting system that should be tweaked?

So the idea still needs some serious working out to do. It’s by no means finished, but I think there is enough stuff to bring it up and maybe see if others might be able to improve the idea.

This Post:
284552.3 in reply to 284552.2
Date: 1/23/2017 3:54:09 PM
Overall Posts Rated:

either way, to put it to the test if it's a good suggestion:

1) does it benefit all of the community (or at the very least doesn't impact people in a negative way)? There are no drawbacks and it pays respect to those who helped the game. So yes, positive impact.
2) is it necessairy to tackle a current problem and can it achieve this without to many negative side effects? It doesn’t tackle a problem, but it gives us a way to honor those who deserve it, so that they aren’t lost in time, but serve as models for current and future users
3) Can it be done from an IT point of view (does tax the servers to much, isn't to complex to code, ...). Hard to say. It’s not a quick fix, but not the hardest thing to do.
4) is it urgent (necessairy to improve BB) ? Not really. Other than paying respect to those who made significant contributions, it doesn’t make add any value to the game.

It doesn’t fail the simple test. It would be fun to have, but there might be other issues that might be more pressing that having a BB hall of fame, so i'd understand if it's not at the top of the prioritise to implement.

This Post:
284552.5 in reply to 284552.1
Date: 1/26/2017 5:26:53 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I think it's a great idea to somehow show appreciation and gratitude towards those who dedicated their own time to do something nice for the community.

As you said, the guy from the FAQs, we all read them and saved us lots of time.

I think it can be done, I don't know if Hall Of Fame is the right way to call it as some may assume it's totally related to performance.

This Post:
284552.6 in reply to 284552.3
Date: 1/27/2017 2:03:39 PM
Leones del Cinaruco
FCBBP
Overall Posts Rated:
Nice idea...

This Post:
284552.7 in reply to 284552.6
Date: 1/31/2017 11:06:33 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
As long as I am a first ballot hall of famer, you can count me in on this suggestion. Other than that I see no benefit for the game and the community.

Größter Knecht aller Zeiten aka His Excellency aka President for Life aka Field Marshal Al Hadji aka Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas aka aka Conqueror of the Buzzerbeater Empire in Europe in General and Austria in Particular