BuzzerBeater Forums

Suggestions > Game Engine Suggestion

Game Engine Suggestion

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 11/7/2008 1:52:52 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I was in a situation (8117539) where I was down by 3 when my opponent fouled with 1 second left in the 4th quarter. In real life, my player would try to make the first free throw and then intentionally miss the second and hope for a tip-in. However, in this game, my player just made both free throws, leaving me with no chance to win.
Any chance that such a circumstance could be accounted for in the game engine in the future?

This Post:
56875.2 in reply to 56875.1
Date: 11/11/2008 5:25:12 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Well. Who said he didn't try to miss, but accidentally the ball went in anyway.

For it to be possible to rebound (and tip in) the ball needs to hit the rim. If the ball misses the rim, there is no rebound opportunity and the ball goes to the opponent.

I don't think you had a legendary (or close) free trow shooter at the line to hit just the rim and have the ball bounce in the right direction. Am I right? ;)

On the other hand I know you are probably right. The game engine is already prety complex, but end of game situations vary SO much that the game engine isn't prepared for realy anything. I also think it realy can't be. Every once in a while a situation will come up at which a manager will say. Hey, I'd have played it diffrent.

In these situations, don't forget that you as manager are not coaching the game, and even though you might decide otherwise, it is your coach out there who is telling your players what to do, and he might tell them other things then you would like.

To end: even if the GE would do what you wanted, the result could still be the same... the ball could have gone in accidentally afterall. ;)

They are not your friends; they dispise you. I am the only one you can count on. Trust me.
This Post:
56875.3 in reply to 56875.2
Date: 11/11/2008 6:48:41 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Well I don't think in Real life people try to miss, but there are always some examples:
like this (legendary) one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ1CuCOp3FQ
Just so cool!

To: BGcc
This Post:
56875.4 in reply to 56875.3
Date: 11/11/2008 9:17:07 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Sam Vincent, the worst NBA coach ever, told Matt Carroll to deliberately miss a FT where his team was up (by small margin 2 or 3 points). The "reason" was to cut off a second or so from the time the opponent would have for his last attack. Of course it was utter nonsense. But even things like this happen. So all of you don't complain so hard if strange play in crunch time happen, just think to yourself you've got Sam coaching.