Suggestions > fix outside shooting

fix outside shooting

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 12/29/2008 6:41:25 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
please.

its a joke this season, especially from beyond the arc.

do i need anecdotes or hard numbers to prove my point?

This Post:
66284.2 in reply to 66284.1
Date: 12/29/2008 7:25:56 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
please.

Actually, examples would be useful. Shooting from three-point range is supposed to be harder than scoring inside -- that's why it's worth three points.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
This Post:
66284.3 in reply to 66284.1
Date: 12/29/2008 11:37:37 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
can i ask what in your expectation with % of hitting outside shots.

if you check anywhere there are only rare players who average 50% fg for the guards and usually if one player made it this year probably next he wouldnt be able to make it

share your numbers

This Post:
66284.4 in reply to 66284.1
Date: 12/30/2008 11:59:30 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
please.

I actually had a great outside shooting game recently:

(8412083)

NO ONE at this table ordered a rum & Coke
Charles: Penn has some good people
A CT? Really?
Any two will do
Any three for me
Any four will score
Any five are live
This Post:
66284.5 in reply to 66284.4
Date: 12/30/2008 1:44:10 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Ooh ooh, I have a better % in one of mine!

(10311897)

The one and only time I'll get one up on JuicePats! Yes!

Message deleted
This Post:
66284.7 in reply to 66284.3
Date: 12/30/2008 6:27:22 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
here are my expectations:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/stats/byteam?&cat1=Total&cat2=team&conference=NBA&year=season_2008&sort=230

now i know, that for example, this is the top level. but the 3 point line is longer in the NBA than in other leagues, and i think 3 point shooting is a skill great players have in lower leagues too.

as you can see from there, the suckiest team in the league at outside shooting, my 76ers, shoot 29.5%.

the best team, the nuggets with an all out r&g pace, shoot 39.7%

an average of about 35% seems right to me, in fact the median percentage in the nBA (with the best outside defenders in the world) is 36%

whatever, i can accept somewhere in there as average.

my team, which is LOADED at guard (my point guard has level 13 jump shooting with level 9 jump range, my shooting guard is almost as good, etc etc), is shooting a pathetic 28.9% from 3pt rangem worse than the sixers.

In fact, my starting point guard was on the fringes of the NT at shooting guard for a while, and would have a place in 80% of the countries im guessing (he has had his best year ever skill pop wise)

(i have some overall balance of course too, my center is none other than superstud Jody Ortega, he of the 45k salary and average rating of 14).

now that might be a one off, one season of under performance.
you'd be dead wrong

lets look at my conference in my league (USA II.3). i scout it there so i should know best

University Heights Rojos, who has an actual US NT Guard, and a few other stud guards besides, is shooting a measley 33.4% from beyond the arc. this also happens to be the best out of our 8 teams, which is a terrible sign

Pinny Paralyzers, who often went R&G and FCP last season (meaning he has a good outside team), 26.2%

Our third place team shoots 27.7%

You've already seen my suckitude

our 5th place team shoots 26.1%

Our 6th place team shoots 24.4%

and amazingly, Yjet, who was an ex NBBA team, and is notorious for having no defense on his players and all offense, is mired at 21.9% in a related note, he might relegate this year in spite of having two studly guards.

and of course, our 8th place team is doign absolutely swimmingly at 26.8%

do you see a freaking pattern here? we dont have the greatest outside defenders ever either. last season I conspired to play a regulation game in which... wait for it... 331 points were scored. i dont care what kind of pace you run. our League Forum was howling at the non defense Yjet and I conspired to play.

i think about a +8-10% adjustment upwards in 3pt shooting is needed stat. seriously, high school girls can shoot better than the percentages we are running out there, and these arent joke teams.

if anyone has a national database, id love to see it, but until then, i am switching tactics, and will keep blasting the gm's for curing the wrong problem.

the reason we all ran fcp and r&G last year was it was the ONLY way our offense worked. It happened to be the best way, but percentages werent super high.

if were supposed to shoot 27% from beyond the arc, then I am going to look inside every f***ing time.

ps: what are the 3 point percentages for top real life teams in italy spain and greece?

i bet they are higher than the US.

Last edited by TheUnrepentantGunner at 12/30/2008 6:28:41 PM

This Post:
66284.8 in reply to 66284.7
Date: 12/30/2008 6:45:49 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
my point guard has level 13 jump shooting with level 9 jump range

You can stop right there. 9 is not exactly a mind-blowing stat as far as jump range is concerned. And trust me, contrary to popular opinion it's rather important for any sort of three-point shooting.

Last edited by GM-kozlodoev at 12/30/2008 6:47:50 PM

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
This Post:
66284.9 in reply to 66284.8
Date: 12/30/2008 7:11:16 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Kozlodev, i find your arrogance insulting.

your own 3 point shooting sucks by the way as well.

look at the numbers.

jump range is not a very easily trained stat, and i promise you its just not me. its shooting percentages of 2 point shots as well.

maybe you enjoy having a team with 26% 3 point shooting. if thats how real basketball was supposed to be, defenses would play the revolutionary 0-5 zone, and beg teams to try shooting from the outside.

in fact, if no one thinks that league wide shooting percentages from beyond the arc under 30% are a problem can i at least ask for the 0-5 zone option?

This Post:
66284.10 in reply to 66284.9
Date: 12/30/2008 7:20:37 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
your own 3 point shooting sucks by the way as well.

The difference is that I don't go complaining about how the system is broken because I know full well why my three point shooting sucks: it has to do with the skills of my players and the team tactics I play, not with the fact the system is broken.

My personal experience tells me that JR at least as important as JS for three-point shots, if not more. So this should be considered. My take is that most people are fielding guards who most "resemble" Rajon Rondo in terms of skills, and expect them to shoot the three like Ray Allen. This is not going to happen.

So let's make suyre we've exhausted (or at least considered the possible existence of) other explanations before you blame the system and "start riding the GMs".

Last edited by GM-kozlodoev at 12/30/2008 7:40:47 PM

This Post:
66284.11 in reply to 66284.10
Date: 12/30/2008 7:41:26 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
well, if every team has sucky 3 point shooting, im pretty sure its time to go after the system.

thanks for asking though

ps: last season with unequivocably weaker shooters i had 31.7% 3 point percentage

the season before when i had a good outside shooting team and was in a weaker division, i was 35.7%

the numbers are down across the board, but thanks for ignoring the facts after asking for them

if the system isnt going to change, tell us now. but it should be changed, and that point must be made as bluntly as possible