Extra pops

Set priority
Show messages by

To: ned
This Post:
24990.10 in reply to 24990.1
Date: 4/19/2008 2:49:10 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Or have training affect all players to some extent. You could still specify a focus position PG PG/SG SG SG/SF SF SF/PF PF PF/C or C,

So for example, if you trained shot blocking for SF, the SF would receive the most training, with the SG and PF somewhat less, and the PG and C a small amount. The focus position would receive less training than under the current system, so that overall, training might be slowed. In addition, training for a position where a skill is less utilized might be less. So training shot blocking/PG would be less benefiicial to a PG than shot blocking/C would be to a C,

If I understand the GE, a player's role is not locked into a strict position. When your C pops from 3, he isn't really playing as a C for that play. And your PG might get stuck defending down low. So if the training is emphasizing a particular skill, why shouldn't all players acquire at least some amount?

This Post:
24990.11 in reply to 24990.10
Date: 4/19/2008 9:00:30 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I don't want to go with the idea as proposed, but I don't want to shoot it entirely either.

I don't know about others, but seeing skills like atrocious and pitiful does not invite to train on those skills since it will take a lot of time to even get them to mediocre, which isn't that great either, but will be a start to train a good player...
Therefor, I'd say, the idea is good for atrocious up to awfull skills to raise with an amount of playing minutes (so not real random pops, players do need to play to get better). After all, it is hardly believeable that a player who spend like 500 minutes on the field is still atrocious in passing or jump shot for example. However without the proper training, it will not be so unreal that a player can not get past inept... The closer the player gets to inept, the longer it will take to get better without training.

This does soften the low peaks in player's skills, which not 1 manager will be willing to train (e.g. if you have 3 centers, 1 with atrocious passing, 1 with atrocious handling and 1 with atrocious outside defence, I hardly imagine you will be training these 3 skills for a whole season to get them to awfull, where you can make them al much better in the inside skills during that time)
It also might encourage managers to train the low skills instead of focussing on the mediocre to higher skills when they have a few players with the same low skills, since they will improve a little quicker then when they would be past inept already. Where managers might not want to train 2 full seasons to get them to mediocre, they might now get this done in less time, and decide they want to spend it on it.

They are not your friends; they dispise you. I am the only one you can count on. Trust me.
This Post:
24990.12 in reply to 24990.11
Date: 4/19/2008 10:37:46 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I didn't explain my idea very well (or maybe you were responding to the original idea of skill improvement not tied directly to training).

I would expect that teams would still train their inside players in mostly inside skills. But what I was suggesting that you would pick a training regime and a position focus. What would be different from the current system is that some training would go to all positions played.

Let's say that you were training SB.

If you trained SB - C the training might be distributed:

58%, 25, 10, 5, and 2 (for positions numbered 5 to 1)

So even your PG would get a little bit of improvement in SB.

If you trained SB - C/PF the distribution might be:

35%, 35, 18, 9, and 3

SB - PF: 25, 40, 20, 10, 5
SB - PF/SF: 16, 31, 31, 14, 8
SB - SF: 10, 20, 40, 20, 10
SB - PG: 2, 5, 10, 25, 58

Note that SB - PG might not be as effective as SB - C, simply because PG can't utilize SB as much, and thus don't get as much in-game reinforcement.

This Post:
24990.13 in reply to 24990.1
Date: 4/20/2008 2:41:53 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
yeah it's a great idea

succodifrutta is the first

This Post:
24990.14 in reply to 24990.13
Date: 4/21/2008 4:56:36 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
maybe any small random pops after a game which was for a player unique successfull?

This Post:
24990.15 in reply to 24990.14
Date: 4/22/2008 5:28:17 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I don't like it. I think that if people want to train only one or two skills, they should suffer. Realistically, one-dimensional players are VERY rarely stars. Guys who shoot lights out like Steve Kerr, guys who handle the ball magically like Muggsy Bogues, Guys who do nothing gut board like Reggie Evans, guys who are 7'7" like Chuck Nevitt- those guys have a spot on a roster but are never stars and never should be in BB. I really think people need to try and train all-around players, because those are the guys who can really play- Magic, MJ, this new guy for the Cavs (what's his name?), Bird, Garnett, Kobe, the list goes on.

Once I scored a basket that still makes me laugh.
This Post:
24990.16 in reply to 24990.15
Date: 4/22/2008 6:38:08 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
the point is that their are players who go home in the off season and lose weight to get in better shape or take 1,000 free throws a day to improve their percentages. Why cant that be added into the game as well. What these people don't want to improve because its a game. Maybe when they add the changes for season 5 some players might get an extra pop in jump shot or range depending on the player. You used Mugsy as an example for his ball handling. How bout how he improved his range over the years. He never became a lights out shooter but did improve on his own time. Lebron has had his own personal trainer for years to help him improve on his own time. If some players decided to do so and got an extra pop at something they are week in why is that such a problem for you.

You got to know when to hold em, know when to fold em, Know when to walk away and know when to run. You never count your money when youre sittin at the table. Therell be time enough for countin when the dealins done.
This Post:
24990.17 in reply to 24990.16
Date: 4/22/2008 7:36:11 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
You make good points. I guess the main reason I am against it is I don't think guys should get something for free. However, I am not totally opposed to it.

Muggsy never really increased his range. In 1996 he attempted 144 3's, making 60 (41%) of them. Before and after that he was 46 / 243 combined ( in roughly 11 seasons ), or 18%. So there is the chance that his percentage went up so much that one year because he attempted so many more shots, and probably worked on them a lot more in practice. His overall field goal percentage decreased slightly over time as well.

But, like I said, you make good points and changed my mind about it a little.

Once I scored a basket that still makes me laugh.
This Post:
24990.18 in reply to 24990.17
Date: 4/22/2008 10:29:34 AM
Freccia Azzurra
IV.18
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Slaytanic
I just write here an idea, cause it's "bad" to see a player with lvl 10 in all the skills and inept at FT, for example
Related to time played, lvl of skill, age, I think that one pop every season cannot change a lot the value of the player but it's more "fun" when you discover the result of the weekly training.

Otherwise we could discuss about osmosis pops, I agree also to introduce it, the most important thing is that this must be slow, just for example, every 10 training in jump shot you can see a pop in jump shot also in the centers that are not (in general) included in this kind of training.

1990-2022 Stalinorgel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV-Xppl6h8Et
This Post:
24990.19 in reply to 24990.14
Date: 4/23/2008 4:36:06 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I think it could be a nice option...but not for all skills... just a few ones like stamina or FTs...
Specialy concerning stamina, because if some important player in your team drops his stamina level, you need to loose one week of your normal training to get his stamina level back...
And it could be done in a way that there is a option where you can choose lets say max. up to 10% of your training (which is 100%) to be transfered on stamina training, or FT training... very much like in HT... but only for stamina or FT...
I just hate to see stamina drops in my players...

This Post:
24990.20 in reply to 24990.19
Date: 4/23/2008 10:50:18 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
you need to loose one week of your normal training to get his stamina level back...

Which is by design.

NO ONE at this table ordered a rum & Coke
Charles: Penn has some good people
A CT? Really?
Any two will do
Any three for me
Any four will score
Any five are live
Advertisement