Promotion Proposed Changes

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
284283.11 in reply to 284283.10
Date: 1/1/2017 7:56:31 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
here we go with the yo-yo strategy! XD

Guys, I agree with you. it's definitely possible to accumulate funds in the higher league (by staying at the salary floor and winning a few games), demote and spend part of the funds to promote again thereby accumulating assets over time.

Even worse would be a team winning a lot of away games end in the relegation playouts (new proposal you can do that as 5th) and then losing on purpose. I guarantee such a team with promotion bonus would make a ton of money while in the higher league and still have a extremely good roster when they demote. As payrolls are reducing across the board you could try to do this with relatively low salary.

For weaker yo-yo teams boycott rules may kick in, but I doubt someone shrewd enough to do this as a strategy would not work around the boycott rules as currently constructed...

Last edited by Lemonshine at 1/1/2017 8:12:23 AM

This Post:
284283.12 in reply to 284283.8
Date: 1/1/2017 8:23:23 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I'd like to assume the BBs don't expect teams to go up and not get on but its difficult to assume anything and I can't get an answer to even simple questions. Then we could consider properly whether adding so much money to the system is a good idea or not.
Well Gully that's how it works in Utopia: you promote you get the cash prize. Whether you win the playoffs or bot promote will have an impact on the next season's gate receipts, but you still get a bonus in all cases, even if reduced.

Since Utopia is clearly mentioned in the post, I think it's safe to assume it works the same way.

I'd also like to know why the BBs even came up with such an idea that I've never seen discussed anywhere before.
I think some of them mentioned somewhere they were considering extending the Utopia system, but since the reactions had always been generally negative I didn't think they'd just go ahead and announce it without addressing the concerns. Yeah that seems even worse than usual.

DISCLAIMER FOR EVERYONE: I don't care how this ends up being implemented. I think the concerns about extra cash are legitimate and evident. If you forced me to vote (which I haven't), I'd probably go for one of the top 2 options, but I'm also against promoting people who don't win in the playoffs. I also proposed that playoffs are not based on conference as the NBA is currently considering changing to: if you change the playoffs like this which is fairer, then you can just promote the better losers in the finals (so the defeated teams with the better record) instead of bot promoting the guys with the best regular season record. This also for Utopia where the system already promotes 50% extra teams.

Last edited by Lemonshine at 1/1/2017 8:29:09 AM

This Post:
284283.13 in reply to 284283.12
Date: 1/1/2017 8:46:01 AM
Durham Wasps
EBBL
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Sunderland Boilermakers
Since Utopia is clearly mentioned in the post, I think it's safe to assume it works the same way.

I don't think its safe to assume anything. Its just not clear, and it really should be.

This Post:
284283.15 in reply to 284283.14
Date: 1/1/2017 2:19:47 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Wrote a Wolph-like article and lost internet connection in between... 😂

I voted for no change, if we went back to the transfer market 10 seasons ago, I'd like the change. However the money shower due to mass promotions is troublesome anyways.

Größter Knecht aller Zeiten aka His Excellency aka President for Life aka Field Marshal Al Hadji aka Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas aka aka Conqueror of the Buzzerbeater Empire in Europe in General and Austria in Particular