BuzzerBeater Forums

BB USA > U21 National Team Debate Thread

U21 National Team Debate Thread (thread closed)

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
276706.102 in reply to 276706.87
Date: 2/17/2016 10:07:10 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
And GM-Jason....

GM....

I find your personal attack campaign to be the most insulting, and most allegorical depiction of the off-site's dysfunction there is.

This was the most un-professional display I have seen in over 40 months of partaking in Buzzerbeater off and on. I doubt you'll be ashamed of yourself... But I'll be ashamed for you.

I've re-read all three of his posts in this thread. I don't see anything in terms of an over-the-top personal attack - he pointed out you have a less-than-impressive resume in this game to date, and then responded to a comment from tetra and a post from you. Whether he has fancy letters before his username or not doesn't remove his right to have an opinion, nor does it remove his right to express it within the rules of the forum in which it is expressed.

I stayed out because my opinion of the NT/U21 aspect of the game is not positive at all (although I grudgingly admit it's probably the only reason we have a userbase at all now). I did point out that the whole notion that the U21 is running on a lengthy streak of patheticness is patently false; there was a forfeit that threw the last two year cycle into the turdmill, and otherwise three straight cycles playing for a title.

Personally, I applaud the fact that you think you're capable of doing the job. But you have to understand that part of the process is convincing others that you have the chops, and Jason's standards are pretty high. I mean, honestly, even when V was mostly full (when I started), it was painfully easy to promote if you knew the basics of game shape management, enthusiasm management, and had any sense of how to build a team and play appropriate tactics.

To: FurY
This Post:
276706.103 in reply to 276706.102
Date: 2/17/2016 11:07:38 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Okay, addressing our remaining candidates, tough, Goldbear, oriolekid and Tha Yimmy/FurySK, and getting back to the purpose of this thread:

Fury and Tough, you both said that you will stay involved with the U21 team even if you are not elected. For tough, I understand this means running the scouting program, but Fury, Goldbear and Oriolekid, what will you bring to the table, win or lose?

It's my understanding that this season's 21 year old class, especially the big men, is pretty weak. We talk a lot about long term strategies to make future classes better, but in the short term, how will you work around the relatively poor players you have at your disposal? Would you be opposed to calling up 20 year olds or players with less potential?

Lastly, what is something on your hypothetical BB Résumé that you feel separates you from the other candidates? Also what is a new strategy or something you would implement that goes against the norm or is different from past U21 managers?

Thank you for your patience and professionalism and commitment to the team.

Last edited by Nick22 at 2/17/2016 3:30:25 PM

This Post:
276706.104 in reply to 276706.103
Date: 2/17/2016 11:29:59 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Most capable?

GOLDMEMBEAR

This Post:
276706.105 in reply to 276706.67
Date: 2/17/2016 12:27:50 PM
LionPride
III.11
Overall Posts Rated:
Of course I'll find the time. I've always found the time. It seems like every day since December 21st, 2009, since I was a Freshman in high school, I've found the time. My time every day need naught be recorded on the offsite. I have scouted, I have gameplanned, I have discussed their build(see: Cliff Duncan), I have trained(see: Otto Reedy). I haven't had a reason to make sure everyone is doing their jobs since that should be reserved for their coach, but I obviously will when it comes down to it. I've offered advice when people have PMed me.

Jelme, Wozzt, Jfarb, Edju, Namssor, RamQ, Sleet have all been great BB managers, and attribute great things to the NT, most have even been BB managers. None are still active. All have been qualified. I've learned from most of them. I've even taught some of them.

My experience is extremely strong. I've stuck through this game for so many year, and have seen hundreds of great managers go. I was one of the original scouters, back when only the NT/U21 coach did it. I volunteered my time and now dozens of managers scout for us. I have the oldest training diary on the offsite. I keep it update, still.

I'm qualified for this job. Isaiah, finally, got his NT job. I think it'd be poetic if I joined him this season with my own job. Though, he's still never won an election, which I find even more beautiful.

This Post:
276706.106 in reply to 276706.105
Date: 2/17/2016 12:34:24 PM
Smallfries
III.1
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Smallfries II
Hey now...I did win an election http://www.buzzerbeater.com/country/1/ntelection.aspx?ele...

But that would be very poetic.

This Post:
276706.107 in reply to 276706.106
Date: 2/17/2016 1:46:17 PM
LionPride
III.11
Overall Posts Rated:
Ahh you had to go spoil the history and, you know, win. How dare you!

This Post:
276706.108 in reply to 276706.95
Date: 2/17/2016 2:31:55 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Alright all....back to the debate.

My question for all- there can be a fine line between training for the U21 and training for the NT. Sometimes, training for the NT can mean that players wont necessarily be great options for the U21 because of getting the out of position training early on. As manager, will you be willing to work with myself, and any other possible future NT manager, if that means some of your best young talent wont be options for the U21?

Also, to go along with the question above, typically the Scouts are in charge of the players 21 years old and younger. As the NT manager, I typically work with guys in the 22-32 years range and even had some amazing help with the 22-25 years range last season. Due to rarely working with U21 players, how will you determine which ones go the NT route compared to U21? Do you plan to make this a conversation between myself and you, plan to make that decision yourself, or plan to make that a community decision?

I'm not of the belief that the majority of the NT players are not of use to the u21, and vice versa. The players that i want to incorporate into the u21 are involved in less prominent roles, and probably less potential than is desired for the u21 group. I'd also point out that the majority of Phyr's ideal builds that he posted for the NT builds, whether or not they are accurate, are entirely doable within a u21 run as well.

In reality to go with your 2nd question, it's up to the user who owns that player first. Only then can i send a BB-mail and say "is this guy someone on your radar or no" to someone like you currently if i can get the buy-in required, or get them to sell to someone who will.

This Post:
276706.109 in reply to 276706.103
Date: 2/17/2016 2:46:51 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
First, Goldbear has applied, as has O-kid. So there are four people making the effort still, not just two. I haven't known goldbear for much other than the occasional trollings in the US-chat, and i've seen oriole kid around quite a few times.

With regards to what i bring, i'm more focused on player builds, one on one approaches, and most importantly opposition scouting. I feel that in most cases I can understand what my opponents move is going to be in the basketball sim (with regards to the actual games and the decisions that go into them). I don't think i would stop trying to do that if i lost, especially if it's tough. While we have two different approaches to the game, i only ever get frustrated with him when he tries to firesale his own buzzerbeater team haha.

The u21 lacks the ability to get to the 15/15/12/8 build by the time the u21 season rolls around on most of the talent. We're going to have to be heavily resourceful to get results better than what Phyr managed, which is why i think i favor a few different types of builds. Most notably, one of our talents could be a very useful defender that matches closer to aaron's ID/SB build, and it's as good a time as any to see if a balanced SB/ID work as he'll be amongst the top players available I feel for the u21 team as far as bigs go in season 35. This season shouldn't be awful.

I favor higher SB and slightly lower Rebounding on bigs, especially if we are to only get to 12 REB. the 12 SB is much more effective in conjuction with a high defense. My guess is the formula behind the shots has something to do with the defensive position (ID or OD based calculations) before it calculates a blocked shot. A big with a somewhat high secondary in OD (thinking 7 OD honestly, the top end of what the player can get without training) and good ID/SB (14/13 or 15/12 ID/SB) with good IS will do well enough. Additionally, i feel that SB and ID training promote better training speeds for one another, which would not harm the ability to get the most points possible.

Josh

This Post:
276706.110 in reply to 276706.108
Date: 2/17/2016 3:02:56 PM
Smallfries
III.1
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Smallfries II
Hypothetical question to all:

Someone comes to you with a 6'11" big man(HOF potential) with these starting skills: 6/3/3/4/4/5-6/6/7/6

This owner is really excited about this player but has little experience training. How would you go about discussing with this manager the correct way to go about training? What build style would you aim for for this player if I, the NT manager, also think he could be useful for the NT at a later point?

This Post:
276706.111 in reply to 276706.109
Date: 2/17/2016 3:29:11 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
First, Goldbear has applied, as has O-kid. So there are four people making the effort still, not just two. I haven't known goldbear for much other than the occasional trollings in the US-chat, and i've seen oriole kid around quite a few times.

That's my bad, I hadn't seen a speech from either and in O-kid's case, his posts here were buried. Fixed it.

This Post:
276706.112 in reply to 276706.109
Date: 2/17/2016 3:34:48 PM
Overall Posts Rated:

For one, it's GOLDMEMBEAR. And sorry we haven't had a chance to meet sport. But it's apparent we don't frequent the same locales.

I can not believe this is actually the U21 election.

Last edited by GOLDMEMBEAR at 2/17/2016 3:35:24 PM

Advertisement