BuzzerBeater Forums

BB Global (English) > S34 Salary floor increase: Comedy or drama?

S34 Salary floor increase: Comedy or drama?

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
277256.107 in reply to 277256.106
Date: 2/24/2016 2:36:36 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
When you look at the whole, the tanking issue is a widespread concern affecting a lot of users
While we're on the topic of salary floor increase as a partial remedy to tanking ... let me ask, who are these "lot of users" you're talking about? Who is actually hurt by tanking, other than the tankers themselves? Is tanking a problem in and of itself or merely a symptom of a more deep-rooted problem? (Move this question and start a new thread for this if you feel it's necessary).

This Post:
277256.108 in reply to 277256.107
Date: 2/24/2016 2:57:12 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
While we're on the topic of salary floor increase as a partial remedy to tanking ... let me ask, who are these "lot of users" you're talking about?

Me. I make a lot of money while being competitive. I spend the salary floor (plus an extra $10k). Should I be targeted by the floor increase? Absolutely. Am I? No.

Who is actually hurt by tanking, other than the tankers themselves?

Everyone, including tankers. Its what drives inflation. The longer I can profit from not promoting, the more money I have to drive up prices when I'm ready to spend.

Is tanking a problem in and of itself or merely a symptom of a more deep-rooted problem?

Both.

Last edited by Perriwinkle Blue at 2/24/2016 3:00:20 PM

This Post:
277256.109 in reply to 277256.107
Date: 2/24/2016 3:03:59 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
When you look at the whole, the tanking issue is a widespread concern affecting a lot of users
While we're on the topic of salary floor increase as a partial remedy to tanking ... let me ask, who are these "lot of users" you're talking about? Who is actually hurt by tanking, other than the tankers themselves? Is tanking a problem in and of itself or merely a symptom of a more deep-rooted problem? (Move this question and start a new thread for this if you feel it's necessary).

It's the game itself - when eschewing playing the game at all for seasons at a time to build up money becomes or is even perceived to have become a top strategy, the game is screwed.

I just did a search for the word "tanking" in this forum, and ordered by date. It allows me to pull up 100 posts only, and that goes back as far as late November. Did the same for "inflation" and it went back to May. Now, obviously, this thread had quite a few hits, but it surprised me - I was just expecting to see that tanking and inflation are both mentioned a lot as problems, in roughly equal amounts.

This Post:
277256.110 in reply to 277256.109
Date: 2/24/2016 3:26:14 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
It's the game itself - when eschewing playing the game at all for seasons at a time to build up money becomes or is even perceived to have become a top strategy, the game is screwed. 

It is a top strategy. As long as the system allows it, it will continue.

To: RiP
This Post:
277256.111 in reply to 277256.101
Date: 2/24/2016 5:31:19 PM
Edson Rush
II.3
Overall Posts Rated:
What if to reward salary efficient teams, teams below the salary floor were able to make back the money they lost by being under the salary floor through their playoff performance. ie lets say my team lost 200k from being under the floor. If I make the playoffs I'll get 25% of that money back. If I make the semis I'll get 50% and if I win the championship I get 100% of that money back. Since this systems may reward teams in noncompetitive leagues or smaller nations, the percentages a team receives back could be adjusted depending on the division their in and their nations size.

This Post:
277256.112 in reply to 277256.109
Date: 2/24/2016 7:05:25 PM
Overall Posts Rated:

Hmm ... "the game itself." Sorry, but that might be just a wee bit too vague and metaphysical to further constructive conversation. We could similarly condemn eschewing competing in the game at all for seasons at a time to build up trainees to sell for money, and say that training is bad for the game itself. We could pretty much apply that to anything -- daytrading is bad for "the game itself." Vulgar team names. Anything. That's all just opinion.

I'm looking for something a little more concrete. Here's my thinking -- suppose you and BB-Ryan have a point. What if the raise in the salary floor didn't hurt as many managers as badly as many first believed, as you and BB-Ryan argue. Then who did it help by supposedly countering tanking? Who is hurt by tanking? Any users at all, or it just doesn't fit your mental image of what you want for BB?

This Post:
277256.113 in reply to 277256.112
Date: 2/24/2016 8:30:43 PM
Overall Posts Rated:

Hmm ... "the game itself." Sorry, but that might be just a wee bit too vague and metaphysical to further constructive conversation. We could similarly condemn eschewing competing in the game at all for seasons at a time to build up trainees to sell for money, and say that training is bad for the game itself. We could pretty much apply that to anything -- daytrading is bad for "the game itself." Vulgar team names. Anything. That's all just opinion.

I'm looking for something a little more concrete. Here's my thinking -- suppose you and BB-Ryan have a point. What if the raise in the salary floor didn't hurt as many managers as badly as many first believed, as you and BB-Ryan argue. Then who did it help by supposedly countering tanking? Who is hurt by tanking? Any users at all, or it just doesn't fit your mental image of what you want for BB?

Well, on the concept of "the good of the game" I figure that making the game better overall is and always should be the primary goal. But if that concept is too general, the teams being hurt by tanking are the teams who are playing the game as an actual management sim, who are attempting to progress through the game by competing to the best of their abilities as often as viable, rather than looking at the game as an exercise in collecting cash by either low salaries or high volume player trading (or, often both). It's exactly those teams that are negatively effected when a team promotes, collects cash for a year, and then promotes and spends those gains to buy a title and repeat the cycle again. Plus, of course, the people who have seen this and decided that they need to do the same to progress further are hurt because they stop experiencing this as a game and more of logging in to pass time while the long-term grind goes on.

This Post:
277256.114 in reply to 277256.102
Date: 2/24/2016 10:42:20 PM
Delaware 87ers
II.3
Overall Posts Rated:
I don't see how increasing the salary floor hurts retention among new users and I think making the teams that are trying to stay lean more competitive with the teams trying to promote makes for a better game in general. This increase in the salary floor is too small to matter much though.

I joined the game just before last season and my only issue with the salary floor increase is it made me use the TL which is usually a frustrating experience.

What hurts retention among new users is how frustrating it is to upgrade your players from the automatically generated dreck comprising the roster of a new team. 99.9% of the initial roster is useless. The TL is expensive and frustrating. And training is difficult to figure out at first as well.

Frankly, if you want to do something to encourage new users to stick around for whatever benefits you see that accomplishing, forget the 18 yo all-star talent and give the TSP's of the randomly generated roster a 10-20% boost. Make so they can actually be a tiny bit competitive out of the box.

Finances don't impact whether a new user sticks around. If it's not fun, or seems overly complicated, they bail.

This Post:
277256.115 in reply to 277256.114
Date: 2/25/2016 1:43:21 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Thank you for the discussion to my matter and all the assistance. I am ready now to fight.

I will report after 16 weeks are over.

This Post:
277256.116 in reply to 277256.113
Date: 2/25/2016 1:56:21 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Well, on the concept of "the good of the game" I figure that making the game better overall is and always should be the primary goal.

If thats the case and I strongly believe that from the BB side there is will to improve the game, now that Ryan is on board, there need to be specific solutions for specific situations.

A general haircut won't solve the tanking problem, which from my point of view is a non issue basically. What you gain is less than what you lose, the draft is no incentive to be bad and the narrative always was that demotion costs more than bottom feeding in a higher division. Now tanking is presented as the uber strategy, which is quite strange to understand...

"Making the game better overall" could have been done with many different changes, which of course, consume much more effort and time. Changing five arbitraty numbers (percentages DIV I-IV) is the quickest way to "solve" the problem, but in this case I think we are oversteering in the wrong direction once again.

Größter Knecht aller Zeiten aka His Excellency aka President for Life aka Field Marshal Al Hadji aka Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas aka aka Conqueror of the Buzzerbeater Empire in Europe in General and Austria in Particular
Advertisement