BB Global (English) > Salary increase - New salary formula

Salary increase - New salary formula

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
136516.114 in reply to 136516.113
Date: 3/24/2010 9:10:04 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
this will be the start of "guards era"..

This Post:
136516.115 in reply to 136516.87
Date: 3/24/2010 9:15:46 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
i don't get it.... very quantitatively we have increased salaries more ON A PERCENTAGE BASIS for top level players, who play on top level teams.

So for instance, a player with skills making 300K before, now makes ~330K, a 30K hike.

In contrast a player making 30K makes now ~32K a 2K hike.

So.... both in absolute terms and relative terms, we have affected upper division teams more than middle and lower division teams. It is simply untrue that we have affected lower division teams more than the upper divisions.

I'm sorry I didn't make myself clear.

Even if it is a bit off-topic I am not only complaining about the salary increase. I do understand it is on a percentage basis with top players getting a higher increase which should affect top division teams the most.

Take a look at this team from ACBB in Spain last year (please consider he just increased his arena a lot):

http://www.buzzerbeater.com/team/75328/arena.aspx

He filled an almost 12000 arena (top teams dwarf these numbers) at MAX prices all season while compiling an impresive 0-22 record. He sold all his top players at the beginning of the league so his fans loyalty was quite amazing as he was being whiped out every game.

A top II division team in Spain with a 22-0 record would not be able to fill the same arena at the same prices.

The diference in income from I to II division and from II to III is considerable.

The salary hikes will hurt lower division teams the most because they are already running on a tight budget. The rich will be rich but maybe you are making it a bit too easy for them.

I like that you regulate the economy on a year to year basis and I have seen changes on salaries, TV contracts, merchandising and never the arena.

Cheers!

This Post:
136516.116 in reply to 136516.115
Date: 3/24/2010 10:03:01 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
A player's experience increases each season even untrained, right? I view the salary increase as a normal process just like in the NBA.

Since, BB teams doesn't have salary cap and the players can't be on CBA with owners, having the salary hike on a percentage basis would be the closest solution.

Even unproductive office workers gets salary increase as long as it sticks to the company for a long period

Just my two cents

:)

To: Ref
This Post:
136516.117 in reply to 136516.25
Date: 3/24/2010 10:05:10 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Seems unfair but...

The answer might be in the contribution of each player on the team ratings.
OS and PD are influenced mostly by the PG, SG and SF. Three players for two team ratings. This is the small man area.
IS, ID and RB (three team ratings in a match) are influenced mostly by the PF and C. Two players for three ratings. This is the big man area.

If the salaries between players with equal level of skills are the same (that would be 1 for these purposes) then you will end up with this result:
3 X 1 = 3 salaries for OS and PD.
2 X 1 = 2 salaries for IS, ID and RB

One might find this unfair also. Instead of that you get high salary for big man (around 1,5 x) to reach equality. So the end result is:

3 X 1 = 3 salaries for OS and PD.
2 X 1,5 = 3 salaries for IS, ID and RB

But this is just my guess.

This Post:
136516.118 in reply to 136516.105
Date: 3/24/2010 11:33:24 PM
New York Chunks
II.2
Overall Posts Rated:
How does that relate to the accuracy of salary calculators, however ?

There are no official salary calculators for BuzzerBeater. Any help program somebody writes is generated from their own understanding of how the game works, and we do not provide any extra information to their authors. So, I think this is really a question for the authors of the calculators you are using.

I hear that salaries come out of fortune cookies, and before each season the Admins have to eat a lot of fortune cookies to set all the salaries, and that as BB grows with more and more teams and more and more players, the Admins also grow from eating so many cookies. But they really like fortune cookies, which is why they keep pulling players out of retirement, so they'd have more salaries to fix.

Don't ask what sort of Chunks they are, you probably don't want to know. Blowing Chunks since Season 4!
This Post:
136516.119 in reply to 136516.118
Date: 3/25/2010 11:11:57 AM
Brigada Diverse
RBBA
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
All-Starters
I've had a 80k pay rise this season but 60k came from my training from last season.Seeing that i managed to win the II div and promoted to the first this is not such an impossible situation that for those that keep posting here.
For me the most important thing that will change from now on is that i will not be spending a lot of money on transfers this season as many of the other managers in my league.Upgrading the areana also doesn't seem to be a solution because of the max limit.
I think that from now on i will change when chosing my players and insteed of choosing a C that has 3 prodigious i will choose one that has 3 wonderous and more proficient/prominent skills.Same ideea for the PG/SG/SF.I was always a manager that tryied to get more balanced players that individual skills and now is the ideal moment to do this.
I am also waiting to see that decrese in the transfer fees that doesn't seem to happen.
For the teams in the II,III and IV div good luck because i think they will be the ones that will suffer the most even if the GMs are telling us different.80k for me is something but 30-40k to someone that has a profit of 50k is something else.This is also a free pass for the teams in the countrys that have only 30-40 active teams seeing that they will always remain in the top I or II div.Mybe now we will se some announcer/bench warmer getting that MVP of the season they were always dreaming of.

Finaly i was wondering i've playing this game for 9 seasons now and of those 3 in div.I, 5 in div.II and 1 in div.I and i have "Season Ticket Holders: 3682".Still i don't seem to understand how that works seeing that i have an arena of 13220

This Post:
136516.120 in reply to 136516.119
Date: 3/25/2010 1:30:23 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
When you say that the BB economy is globally balanced and self-managed with the new salary formula, I understand that you are working with just these global numbers: global incomes vs global expenses, and the salary formula keeps the balance by adjusting the player salaries. Am I wrong?

Therefore, as the salaries increased 10-15% this season, this means that last season we have had globally higher incomes, and I have heard several times that this is something which mainly affects to the top divisions: Teams do not use most of their income in player salaries, they can save a lot of money and thus the difference between divisions grow up.

All the time we are using these "global" terms, so I guess we are not talking about the economy of a particular BB country, but about the global economy, and the salary update is an automatic answer to a global situation.

So..., and this is my question: have you taken into account the differences between large-medium-small countries in these calculations?

Because, for example, there are 98 top leagues in BuzzerBeater, but only very few correspond to large countries. So, if we calculate the top-leagues average, very probably the result will be very representative of the situation in small countries, and a very bad representation of the situation in large countries. The salary update will perfectly fit to the global situation, however the impact of these measures is very different depending on the size of the BB country.

As in the real world, a global market and global measures may bring some kind of unfairness which will affect more strongly to the weakest members of the community.

In the spanish forums (where we really miss very much the presence of a BB), I have heard the complaints of many teams and the hard time they will have to run through because of the salary update, and curiously most of them are not top-teams, but teams from all the other divisions. Have you considered that your global measures may have very bad side-effects in the lower divisions of large leagues?
It seems that all these global measures will take many small teams in Spain into a lot of economic problems. The inflation/deflation sequence you have caused in the BB-economy (even if they are good for the global game health), will always affect more strongly to the weakest teams in large and very competitive leagues, but I don´t think they represent a real problem for any team in a small BB country.

¡Me aburro! (Homer Simpson)
This Post:
136516.121 in reply to 136516.120
Date: 3/25/2010 8:35:05 PM
1986 Celtics
IV.21
Overall Posts Rated:
So let me try to address spain in particular, and not make general claims, as you seem to be worried about general claims averaging over individual differences (which is a legitimate potential concern).

In spain, what we see is that top division teams earn more, and are spending a smaller percentage of their income on salaries... though not that much smaller... about 7% less than a division 2 or 3 team. (63% vs 70%)

Salaries for Division 2 team are 68% of D1 salaries, and D 3 are 45% of D1. So lower division spend less... and make less... and end up spending just slightly more proportionally than D3 divisions. Now we raised salaries proportionally... so even if we had done it in a way that was proportionally flat, i don't see how we could have made things significantly worse for D3 teams than D1 teams. Of course we actually raised salaries more on a percentage basis for upper division teams, so this is even less possible. Also we don't see evidence that d2 and d3 teams cannot afford the players that they are paying...and the obvious question if we did see that would be... why aren't they cutting their salaries.. they can't afford players that expensive, they should be employing less talented players.

Now this gets at the heart of what I think is actually going on with everyone freaking out about increased salaries. At the start of the season, all the increased talent you now have on your team gets their salaries adjusted to their new levels. As a result, players are going to get sometimes significantly more expensive, as they are more talented. These players are suppose to be moving up to play in higher divisions... eventually an 18 year old drafted by a d6 team, should get enough training to be one of the best in the world.. and that player is suppose to play on a D1 team probably.

Its maybe difficult for owners to accept that a necessary part of the new season is getting rid of players that don't make sense to have on your roster anymore, so that your financial situation is on even ground. You think, damnit i'm not going to be able to compete when i cut my roster, but the truth is that everyone is going to have to go through the same thing. This is always going to be more true for lower division teams than upper division teams, because what we've said is that we want to keep the salaries of the best players in the game roughly constant once we have the economy in balance and don't have massive inflation (we think we have accomplished that now). So as the best players in the game get better, their salaries will not increase that much in the future... but the 18 year old superstar potential who went from making 5K to making 35K in one season will always maybe not make sense for a dIV team to hold onto once he makes that jump.

Last edited by BB-Forrest at 3/25/2010 9:13:29 PM

This Post:
136516.122 in reply to 136516.121
Date: 3/25/2010 9:41:52 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I understand and probably agree with most of what you say, but I can't find an answer to the question I made.

¡Me aburro! (Homer Simpson)
This Post:
136516.123 in reply to 136516.121
Date: 3/25/2010 9:42:29 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I guess thats the real nail on the head.

The enjoyment factor might go out the window for those that want to keep the players they have so carefully trained. If a IV team takes 6-7 seasons to promote to a II league (i assume realistic?) then if they have put in 4 seasons of training of an 18/19 to find out that they cant afford to see him grace the court wearing their own jersey and he will have to be sold only to benefit someone else because they arent in a league where their income is high enough to employ him.

This now reminds me of the time we all had allstar caps put on the players we hoped would be with us for their careers. In order to improve beyond this we have to build a roster of higher potential players because there are severe limitations as to how many skill ups you can give to an Allstar. Now we have a scenario where if you have 5 trainees greater than Allstar potential which we can now train as we first envisaged we are being told 'hang on' it is now not intended for us to afford them!

This is why I question the need to continuously add more countries and why we dont all go into one big melting pot. A Division 1 Macau sign up will never have to make the choices a V Series new manager has to make. He can buy keep and train almost anyone he pleases where as the lower league manager has to continuously cut his cloth which often means sacrificing players he has trained (which I imagine is the one of the most enjoyable aspects of the game.)

This Post:
136516.124 in reply to 136516.121
Date: 3/25/2010 9:54:29 PM
New York Chunks
II.2
Overall Posts Rated:
Also we don't see evidence that d2 and d3 teams cannot afford the players that they are paying...and the obvious question if we did see that would be... why aren't they cutting their salaries.. they can't afford players that expensive, they should be employing less talented players.

And this is exactly the sort of adjustment I've been really hoping we'd see sooner than later. Now it's just a matter of time before teams realize that they're bleeding money and need to adjust or they just run out of their cash reserves in the hope that they'll be dominant teams for a season or two. There's one team in my league that knows darn well that they'll be operating at a deficit this season, but the manager doesn't care about that and has messaged as much that he knows he'll lose money this year. He'd still rather have his two best Centers making a combined $160k and two Point Guards making $110k (and his starting SF ain't cheap, neither!) because he want to challenge the best teams in the league. If I can survive this season without relegating (and actually making a financial profit in the process, which I intend to modestly do even with a competitive roster), I think I'll be better in the long run.

It's now going to be harder to have your cake and eat it too, since now you can't just horde the best players while still making a ton of money. The game is now more about smart roster management and not just relying on trying to overwhelm your opponents, which then means having to think more about strategy with your lineups and game plans... Unless there's major shift in the development of the game, I give this current direction abut a season and a half before the new economy really sinks in.

Don't ask what sort of Chunks they are, you probably don't want to know. Blowing Chunks since Season 4!
Advertisement