BuzzerBeater Forums

BB USA > FML Radio: Outside Offense (GM-hrudey)

FML Radio: Outside Offense (GM-hrudey)

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
278016.13 in reply to 278016.12
Date: 3/21/2016 6:44:08 PM
Upsyndrome
III.15
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Upsyndrome II
Him and Kanye should get together at Ihop and discuss their master plans.

"You will lose." -Ivan Drago
This Post:
278016.14 in reply to 278016.1
Date: 3/22/2016 7:19:07 AM
Milwaukee Lethargy
III.8
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Miłwaukee Lethargy
Nice job with your radio series. A couple of years ago there was a boom of competing team newspapers. But so far FML radio is the only station in town

the only radio that you can see and which has no sound!

I'm going to start reselling broken AM/FM clock radios with this slogan. It's not a flaw, it's a feature!

This Post:
278016.15 in reply to 278016.11
Date: 3/22/2016 7:20:04 AM
Milwaukee Lethargy
III.8
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Miłwaukee Lethargy
I was hoping you'd get asked about Paula Cole and/or where all the cowboys have gone.

This Post:
278016.16 in reply to 278016.15
Date: 3/22/2016 3:34:25 PM
Arizona Desert Storm
III.3
Overall Posts Rated:
I was hoping you'd get asked about Paula Cole and/or where all the cowboys have gone.

Hmmm, I have always wondered Who Let the Dogs Out?

This Post:
278016.17 in reply to 278016.16
Date: 3/22/2016 4:11:36 PM
Greensboro Generals
III.2
Overall Posts Rated:

In regards to the crazy world we all live in today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ssd3U_zicAI

and here in a season of doom, gloom uncertain and doubt amidst the youth movement I am creeping into Generals fans are left to ponder the following when processing their feelings...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3uatcJqt54

This Post:
278016.18 in reply to 278016.16
Date: 3/22/2016 7:07:45 PM
Milwaukee Lethargy
III.8
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Miłwaukee Lethargy

Hmmm, I have always wondered Who Let the Dogs Out?

My former point guard Hu let the dogs out.

This Post:
278016.19 in reply to 278016.2
Date: 3/22/2016 8:04:52 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
every party needs a pooper . . .

i forgot if i had my revelation in a cave or on a mountaintop, but sometime last week in the depths of total despair, an angel came to me with a vision of the BB future. i kinda didn't catch everything, 'cause this angel wasn't all robed up, actually, just the opposite, so in between the blinding light, the beautiful voice, and her godly nakedness, i remember these points:
1) teams in the future will have much less talent than today. or, to put it another way, people simply can not afford to buy young, good talent these days.
2) the moneyed teams will gradually run through their piles of cash, and their dominance will peak. from what i can tell, these moneyed teams are not in the USA. but teams with 10, 15, or 20 million in the bank will only be able to translate that into two, three, maybe four good players.
3) i can see the possibility at DII, and even maybe the NBBA of having a trainee and still being competitive. i don't mean polishing off some 26 year old, but a 21 year old.
4) i can see the structure of teams in the NBBA changing, so that squads will have one, two, maybe three top tier players, and a solid group of bench / rotation players. salary levels will drop; in my time in the NBBA, i would say salary levels for competitive teams has fallen by $100,000 or more. i expect that trend to continue.
5) training is going to be much, much more important.

some specifics: A-Dubs purchased the heart of his team (Hunt, Bowens, and Bello) for $12 million. today, $15 million+, especially because player value skyrockets under 32. A-Dubs has a very sharp eye for talent, and basically trained his guards, so he may have a run of another three seasons or more. but at $900,000, his salary range is very high; even factoring $150,000 for merchandise, that means around $2 million in profit for a given season (plus playoffs). Over three seasons, he may reach $6 - $7 million (i'm really guessing here) which may buy one Bowens.

i see the bonus for advancing to the NBBA next season will be $1.5 million. unless the four squads have prepared well, that amount of money to compete with Upsyndrome is a joke. but i can see in three, four seasons, that the game will have changed sufficiently so that $1.5 million may plug a hole in a squad that otherwise has been trained for many seasons, like Hrudey's.

This Post:
278016.20 in reply to 278016.19
Date: 3/22/2016 11:03:11 PM
Upsyndrome
III.15
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Upsyndrome II

2) the moneyed teams will gradually run through their piles of cash, and their dominance will peak. from what i can tell, these moneyed teams are not in the USA. but teams with 10, 15, or 20 million in the bank will only be able to translate that into two, three, maybe four good players.

For some teams, yes. However, if done right (rebuilding), the 'money-well' may not dry out completely for all of these 'financially well off' teams. The key aspect during a rebuilding season is the development of your trainees--that's where the profit is made.

It works like this: At the start of a rebuild, I sell off my entire team: purchased players (which of whom I generally lose half of the money invested into acquiring them); and, here's where I make most of it back -- my prospects (usually still in their primes, or near the end); I sell them off, save up a few million while tanking and by the time my new trainees are ready, I've accumulated even more money than before and the process repeats. This approach takes time and most managers are too impatient to enjoy this process. Others, have the win now mentality, or just don't want to lose ever. Which isn't a bad thing, you should want to win every season, but just don't get stuck in mediocrity

3) i can see the possibility at DII, and even maybe the NBBA of having a trainee and still being competitive. i don't mean polishing off some 26 year old, but a 21 year old.

That would be perfect for me, as I typically end my rebuilds when my trainees are ready to compete at a high level.

5) training is going to be much, much more important.

As it should be.

but at $900,000, his salary range is very high; even factoring $150,000 for merchandise, that means around $2 million in profit for a given season (plus playoffs). Over three seasons, he may reach $6 - $7 million (i'm really guessing here) which may buy one Bowens.

Just for clarification purposes: My merchandise income is 224K. And, I'm not sure if you're suggesting that I'm making millions in profit while competing -- I'm not. When it comes time to compete I'm usually breaking even, or losing a some money. At the moment, I am making 20K a week with cup and B3 revenue included (70K/w) with 1.6m in the bank (not nearly enough for the type of players I am looking to acquire).

This Post:
278016.21 in reply to 278016.20
Date: 3/22/2016 11:17:47 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
thanks for the response.

1) your merchandising is greater than i thought it would be, but your overall profit is less. thanks for that bit of data.

2) i guess what i am suggesting is that i think it is possible that in the future we may not have the superteams, of which i include yours. to assemble two or three NT-level players -- i don't see how that is done, frankly. i'm no expert on training, but can one reach NT levels with two-position training? i suppose if you save the kind of money you anticipate, then maybe train one NT player, buy a second -- but where and how do you fill out the squad? that's why i think the rotation of the future NBBA squads may include some players that now are found in DIII. i don't want to get too specific, but i just think we should adapt ourselves to a future that has successful teams with much lower overall talent levels than today -- and those that have developed their own stars will possess major advantages.

i'm not claiming this is new, but i am saying that alternative paths -- for example, mine, where i routinely scrounged the TL every season or so for usable talent -- that they are drying up and may be gone for a long while.

This Post:
278016.22 in reply to 278016.21
Date: 3/22/2016 11:27:02 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Funnily enough I was actually thinking of doing one of these episodes on the NBBA and how it is/how it will change and you were the person I was thinking of talking to about it.

I would like to point out though that you can one position train three players and thereby create three NT level prospects at once hypothetically. See Funky Town Fire and even Hrudey though I doubt his players will be NT material.

This Post:
278016.23 in reply to 278016.21
Date: 3/23/2016 12:06:50 AM
Upsyndrome
III.15
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Upsyndrome II
thanks for the response.

You bet.

i'm no expert on training, but can one reach NT levels with two-position training?

I doubt it. Other than 1-on-1/reb and so on, one position training is the way to go. I've been training my current trainees with a lvl 5 trainer, something I now regret, as I've failed to train them to the NT (lvl 7 is the way to go). I envisioned a team of 5-6 USNT players for my current roster.

i suppose if you save the kind of money you anticipate, then maybe train one NT player, buy a second -- but where and how do you fill out the squad?

My next rebuild, I intend to train two, maybe three top lvl NT players. Then, with money saved up, I plan to fill out my starting rotation with more NT players. That's my goal.

The rotation of the future NBBA squads may include some players that now are found in DIII. I just think we should adapt ourselves to a future that has successful teams with much lower overall talent levels than today -- and those that have developed their own stars will possess major advantages.

Absolutely, you very will may be right. The way this economy is going, there may be much fewer amounts of managers capable of filling out a D1 roster with quality players. Though, I disagree we adapt to lesser talented teams/leagues. Training, along with a proper rebuild is the way to succeed in this poor economy.

Advertisement