BuzzerBeater Forums

BB Global (English) > S34 Salary floor increase: Comedy or drama?

S34 Salary floor increase: Comedy or drama?

Set priority
Show messages by

This Post:
277256.131 in reply to 277256.127
Date: 3/6/2016 11:26:51 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Thought that my utopia team would save some money for a better coach and now this. 40 000 $ short of meeting the salary floor requirement, so I'm in frantic search of players, who I obviously cannot afford to buy. F... great.

If you are $40,000 under the floor, you can either buy player(s) with wages totalling that $40000 or more and pay those wages weekly, or pay $0 to buy zero players to pay that difference exactly weekly. If you're going to pay the difference anyway, and you're not yet in a position where expanding your roster makes sense to you for whatever reason, it's probably better to not spend extra money simply to replace forced salary floor spending with actual wages.

This Post:
277256.132 in reply to 277256.131
Date: 3/6/2016 7:17:18 PM
Monkeykid Maniacs
III.12
Overall Posts Rated:
The floor raise is kinda annoying, I will say since I'm only into like my 2nd season. Barely had a chance to expand my arena. I went from making 16k a week to only 3k a week now... so it'll probably be forever and half before I have the money to either A: expand my arena and increase the weekly earnings or B: buy any worthwhile players... which in the case of B could either be guys to train and get myself some money or just guys to be competitive with.

I'd say this change makes more more want to tank because I know my team can't improve this season and I have no money... so the best I can hope for is a good draft pick so I have a good guy who's either sellable or trainable next season.

This Post:
277256.134 in reply to 277256.132
Date: 3/7/2016 2:39:32 PM
Arsenal 98
II.3
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Stamford Snow Leopards
Look at my Utopia team, I just passed 16 weeks. I've made a transfer profit, expanded my arena a bit, and now have a roster right at the salary floor which has been cheaply assembled. 200k in the bank. My top 8 players have 65+ TSP.

I sold a couple of only 5/6 potential guys for 250k combined after 1 season training and they probably could've gone for more (on the other hand, one of last seasons trainees only went for 14k after being listed at least twice before that. I guess people value some skills more than others...you've gotta work it out, then be smart about what you do in future...). People ignore the low potential trainees and think they have to spend loads on a player with 7+ potential who won't be any better for idk, 3+ seasons anyway (and/or think they need an expensive trainer). This year I've got 3/4 Utopian trainees to try to grow some home grown players...

I can't say I liked the salary floor raise in this position but my weekly profit is still at 40k.
I'm not going to win my league, and I can't compete with the top few teams but I got a great win the other week vs Waikiki who had a much higher starting 5 salary than mine.

(and being Utopia, this is without any of the starting money new teams in any normal nation get)

Bit of a ramble, but some thoughts on being a new team. It's not that hard? I'm not saying this is the best plan or anything, I'm just saying it's possible to be new, and make a profit / make progress, and also have fun.

Last edited by Bergkamp at 3/7/2016 3:23:07 PM

This Post:
277256.135 in reply to 277256.133
Date: 3/7/2016 4:46:23 PM
Monkeykid Maniacs
III.12
Overall Posts Rated:
1) I can't invest in my arena. I have -$69,364. Not only am I lacking money, but I have a negative balance. This theoretically should correct at my next home game, but still... that's the situation I'm in right now. My arena has a capacity of 6348, which is as far as I was able to take it so far.

2) A lot. I have a total staff salary of $ 93,933 right now. I often look for cheaper staff, but get outbid every single time so far :x I could just fire everyone and go minimal staff, but I get the feeling that's not a smart idea.

The staff thing was not an issue at all last season. I turned a profit of ~$16k every week.

This Post:
277256.136 in reply to 277256.135
Date: 3/7/2016 5:09:21 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
if you're not competing, you can fire your PR manager. In fact I think they never fixed the bug whereby if you re-hire your own minimal staff his price will be lower than 2k,.

I wouldn't fire the doctor, but I'd get a competent one at around 8k salary.

That leaves the trainer. I would never pay more than 25k/week for an advanced trainer and an exceptional trainer is only really worth getting for HoF potential. Advanced trainers with a specialty at around 15k initial salary used to be very cheap, the expensive ones are those around 11k-12k, so I'd go for one of those. If you go this way when you have a little money later in the week.

2k+8k+15k=25k that's nearly 70k less than what you're paying

This Post:
277256.137 in reply to 277256.135
Date: 3/7/2016 5:24:14 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
1) Not only am I lacking money, but I have a negative balance.

2) A lot. I have a total staff salary of $ 93,933 right now.

Number 1 is your problem. Number 2 is your cause. Blaming the salary floor won't help you see the solution.

Fix your staff salaries and you'll make a lot more than the 16k every week before the change.

This Post:
277256.139 in reply to 277256.138
Date: 3/7/2016 10:42:32 PM
Monkeykid Maniacs
III.12
Overall Posts Rated:
I'm not going to fire my trainer without a viable replacement. Training is my #1 objective right now.

I got a superior trainer because I wanted to boost the training rate of my young players. Maybe none of my guys will ever make U-20, but I'd like to give my trainees the best shot they can get.

I'll fire the PR guy though since everyone seems to think he's not needed. I don't care about winning, but I thought good PR affects attendance and therefore affects profit. If I'm not winning games, isn't it even less likely anyone shows up to my games with a minimal PR guy and thus my profits sink further?

Will not fire the doctor. I care about my trainees getting injured.

Both the PR and Doctor are only advanced anyway.

If I get any money to bid, I'll replace the trainer with the next tier down... but I will not fire without a replacement ready.

And for the person who said "don't blame the floor", explain to me why I had 0 problems last season before the floor raise.

I can assure you that if the floor did NOT raise, I would not be in a negative financial situation even doing things the way I am. Things worked fine for an entire season. I made more than I spent. I was slowly turning a profit and feeding that profit into my arena. The sudden change without warning (that I know of) completely threw off my finances and now I'm in debt.

I know nobody actually cares because I'm in like the 1% that this actually hurts... the owners around 2 years of experience who have to pay the floor yet aren't established enough to have a developed arena or any sort of real income. It's such a small deal, that it's considered insignificant. But it may be harder to keep users around past that first season because of crap like this. This isn't helping the game grow at all.

This Post:
277256.140 in reply to 277256.139
Date: 3/7/2016 11:26:30 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
And for the person who said "don't blame the floor", explain to me why I had 0 problems last season before the floor raise.

You did have a problem. You only made 16k a week. Now you make 3k because of the floor increase. You could make 100k if you got rid of your staff until you can afford to upgrade, but you prefer to blame the system for your shortcomings.

Last edited by Perriwinkle Blue at 3/7/2016 11:27:09 PM

This Post:
277256.141 in reply to 277256.139
Date: 3/7/2016 11:35:55 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Also, after a quick search through your history, you wouldn't have been paying the salary floor until late last season or start of this season. Again, if you're only making 16k a week, it's not the salary floor that is the issue, especially when it didn't apply to you.

Fix your staff and you'll make more income than you have to date, even if they raise the floor by the same amount next season.

Advertisement