BuzzerBeater Forums

BB Global (English) > Advantage to smaller country teams?

Advantage to smaller country teams?

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
129389.134 in reply to 129389.133
Date: 1/28/2010 1:50:46 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I said 256 simply because I thought it would allow the greatest amount of competitive games in numerous tournaments. Then the winners of all those tourneys could face off in a winners tournament.

This Post:
129389.135 in reply to 129389.134
Date: 1/28/2010 1:59:49 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I said 256 simply because I thought it would allow the greatest amount of competitive games in numerous tournaments.

Ok, I was not thinking like that. So in your system, would you draw the 256 for each tournament completely at random?

Run of the Mill Canadian Manager
This Post:
129389.136 in reply to 129389.135
Date: 1/28/2010 2:29:36 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
No, it would (only user controlled teams) ranked 1-256, 257-528, 529-768, 769-1024, etc. And they would be seeded in the same manner as the NCAA tourney is where the top team plays the bottom team in the first round, and the #2 plays the second worst and so on.

This Post:
129389.137 in reply to 129389.136
Date: 1/28/2010 2:45:22 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
No, it would (only user controlled teams) ranked 1-256, 257-528, 529-768, 769-1024, etc.

Since your idea is for the winner of each tournament to play in a "winner's tournament", doesn't this give an advantage to the lower ranked teams? For example, ranked team #769 would be the favourite to head into the winner's tournament, but team #256 would have next to zero chance.

Unless you mean each pool would be something like this:

Pool A

etc

Pool B
etc

This Post:
129389.138 in reply to 129389.118
Date: 1/28/2010 3:02:26 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Back on the topic. The only solution offered so far is that either people in big communities should get their revenue increased dramatically..

I guess JosefKa's solution flew past you as well? ;)

This Post:
129389.139 in reply to 129389.138
Date: 1/28/2010 3:20:35 PM
Overall Posts Rated:

Even if he did, it doesn't really solve anything as there is nothing to solve without meaningful international competitiions.

-You only play meaningful games in your own country.
-Everyone in your country has the same advantages/disadvantages as you.
(you can debate whether or not it is fair that level 6 trainers cost so much, or that x player on the transfer list costs too much, but your series mates have the same problem)

What's the issue here, again?

This Post:
129389.141 in reply to 129389.138
Date: 1/28/2010 4:19:34 PM
Overall Posts Rated:

Or not. I find it hardly to be the solution we are looking for here. I get it that it would reduce the income of D1 teams in small countries but on the other hand it has little to no effect on already established teams like Sharman Globetrotters. What is more it would have absolutely no effect D2 and below teams since those revenues are non-existent at the moment. One could argue that implementing this suggesting would not do any harm while solving on of the issues in hand but I would actually disagree with that. For the sake of the argument I am going to use Sharman as an example again. Lets say this team is the product of the imperfect system and by implementing the JosefKa's suggestion we can prevent the growth of a similar monster in lets sat Viet Nam. That is all good and it would most certainly work but is it fear to the Viet Nam team? I would say its not fair since in a community who's goal is growth in numbers and popularity giving equal opportunities is essential for long-term success. And lets face it. Considering how much earlier Superfly started and the daytrading opportunities he had, our friend from Viet Nam has little to no chance of catching up in the next 15seasons. Is making this 15season journey harder for him the biggest issue in BB right now?
One could argue that the example is inadequate and the comparison should be made between the Viet Nam team and lets say a D3 Spanish team. In this case the "catching up" would be done quite faster but then again we are talking about D1 team and D3 team hence my suggestion to cut D1 total revenue. This of course should not be done by simply reducing ticket revenue but rather by changing the way revenue works in general. I like the direction the BB's chose with merchandising by making it a more significant percentage of the total revenue. This could actually work as JosefKa's idea but in a better way. By increasing further the merchandise effect on the revenue based on the quality(salaries) of the players rather then the nationality you have a solution to the small country new D1 team issue. it would also be a welcome change for D2/D3 Spanish teams that face horrific competition and they would be able to take some advantage of their big salaries. Unfortunately non of what I just wrote would ever work. Increasing revenue in any way will cripple the economy. the only way to increase merchandising and keep total revenue constant is b6y cutting further into arena income and I dont see this as ether wanted or possible at the moment considering the top teams just had their arena's reduced.

This Post:
129389.142 in reply to 129389.141
Date: 1/28/2010 4:30:26 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Just realized my last post is too long to read for most people so let me summarize. I think the system is fine and no major changes are required. If you are a better manager you will advance regardless of your surroundings. Here is a rather appropriate quote from Gerald Helleiner:

"The poor complain; they always do,
But that's just idle chatter.
Our system brings rewards to all,
At least to all who matter."

This Post:
129389.143 in reply to 129389.137
Date: 1/28/2010 4:48:44 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
No, I'd actually want it the way I originally suggested, though the winners tournament wasn't really my main point, I would prefer to see the mini tournaments expand to 512 teams or 1024 (but no more) rather than make more tourneys that Division 5 teams in America would actually have a chance to win something. I just realized that the only reason why I even won my NT was because I'm one of the only active teams left.

In your situation, the champions tournament would end up being teams #1-256 playing each other instead of the best teams in their peer group trying to compete with the best team overall. Clearly the best team would steamroll through the champion's tourney, but there'd be plenty of upsets along the way.

This Post:
129389.144 in reply to 129389.141
Date: 1/28/2010 5:45:34 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
By they way theres another important point with the small countrys. If a small country(one of them, no need to say all time Japan etc etc) alll of his managers are getting really high incomes, my question is: How the BB's pretend that this small community becomes a bigger one?

I mean now maybe we cannot apreciate it but, maybe in lets say 4-5 seasons a Bomerang effect could happen there. The inbalance between the old managers of that country and the new ones, could be such a huge difference that there wont be any way to try to balance it. I dont know, but anyone have thought about that?, About how this small communities will be in 4-5 seasons? Maybe having more users? At the end ist the BB's aim to try to have more users, but i dont see how this kind of little communities can offer a new manager the opportunity to improve season after season, there wont be that way with the actual economic model.

PD: If the bb's doesnt agree with the economic imbalance, we could create a new country: Cayman islands? xDD. Take for sure i would agree to have one team there ¡

Advertisement