BuzzerBeater Forums

BB Global (English) > S34 Salary floor increase: Comedy or drama?

S34 Salary floor increase: Comedy or drama?

Set priority
Show messages by

This Post:
277256.139 in reply to 277256.138
Date: 3/7/2016 10:42:32 PM
Monkeykid Maniacs
III.12
Overall Posts Rated:
I'm not going to fire my trainer without a viable replacement. Training is my #1 objective right now.

I got a superior trainer because I wanted to boost the training rate of my young players. Maybe none of my guys will ever make U-20, but I'd like to give my trainees the best shot they can get.

I'll fire the PR guy though since everyone seems to think he's not needed. I don't care about winning, but I thought good PR affects attendance and therefore affects profit. If I'm not winning games, isn't it even less likely anyone shows up to my games with a minimal PR guy and thus my profits sink further?

Will not fire the doctor. I care about my trainees getting injured.

Both the PR and Doctor are only advanced anyway.

If I get any money to bid, I'll replace the trainer with the next tier down... but I will not fire without a replacement ready.

And for the person who said "don't blame the floor", explain to me why I had 0 problems last season before the floor raise.

I can assure you that if the floor did NOT raise, I would not be in a negative financial situation even doing things the way I am. Things worked fine for an entire season. I made more than I spent. I was slowly turning a profit and feeding that profit into my arena. The sudden change without warning (that I know of) completely threw off my finances and now I'm in debt.

I know nobody actually cares because I'm in like the 1% that this actually hurts... the owners around 2 years of experience who have to pay the floor yet aren't established enough to have a developed arena or any sort of real income. It's such a small deal, that it's considered insignificant. But it may be harder to keep users around past that first season because of crap like this. This isn't helping the game grow at all.

This Post:
277256.140 in reply to 277256.139
Date: 3/7/2016 11:26:30 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
And for the person who said "don't blame the floor", explain to me why I had 0 problems last season before the floor raise.

You did have a problem. You only made 16k a week. Now you make 3k because of the floor increase. You could make 100k if you got rid of your staff until you can afford to upgrade, but you prefer to blame the system for your shortcomings.

Last edited by Perriwinkle Blue at 3/7/2016 11:27:09 PM

This Post:
277256.141 in reply to 277256.139
Date: 3/7/2016 11:35:55 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Also, after a quick search through your history, you wouldn't have been paying the salary floor until late last season or start of this season. Again, if you're only making 16k a week, it's not the salary floor that is the issue, especially when it didn't apply to you.

Fix your staff and you'll make more income than you have to date, even if they raise the floor by the same amount next season.

This Post:
277256.142 in reply to 277256.135
Date: 3/8/2016 12:25:06 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
"They" like telling you there are almost an unlimited number of ways to play this game. Just not your way, with a $16,000 weekly profit.

This Post:
277256.145 in reply to 277256.139
Date: 3/8/2016 9:19:27 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I know nobody actually cares because I'm in like the 1% that this actually hurts... the owners around 2 years of experience who have to pay the floor yet aren't established enough to have a developed arena or any sort of real income. It's such a small deal, that it's considered insignificant. But it may be harder to keep users around past that first season because of crap like this. This isn't helping the game grow at all.

I don't know that it's fair to say nobody cares. I'm sure some people don't, but I'm not one of them. All I can do is give some advice based on what I've experienced in my time in the game, and then you're free to do with it what you want. The one "rule of thumb" advice that I will give first is that if you're anywhere close to spending more on your staff than you are on players, that's an entirely unsustainable model.

With that said, I wouldn't recommend firing your trainer either unless you had no alternative at all (e.g., you're approaching the bankruptcy limit and couldn't stop the bleeding otherwise) or if his salary was extremely insane. As it is, you're barely profitable so you should probably be able to float the trainer salary for a while if other things change. I would probably consider looking at advanced once you do get the money for a replacement, though - the difference between the levels is not significant (I think it's estimated at like 4% training speed) but the cost in salary and in bidding on them is quite hefty.

As has been mentioned, the PR is almost certainly something to not invest in significantly - generally speaking any gain in attendance/merchandising is not as much as the increased salary vs. a minimal PR guy. What I personally recommend is trying to find a cheap basic PR guy (or maybe competent with a low salary) with either National Appeal or Crowd Involvement, depending on your competitive situation - if you're winning almost all of your games, the CI specialty might help swing one of the road games, while if you're going to have a terrible season, maybe NA can swing a home game or two and keep you from relegating. If you have more money and weekly profits, you can actually switch PR guys on a game-to-game or as needed basis to maximize competitiveness - spending a small amount (~6k severance + a small bid) for an improved chance of victory in a close matchup is something I like.

Doctors, honestly, are kind of big money sucks too. I've had stretches where I had almost no injuries with a competent doctor for almost a whole season, and times where I had multiple injuries quickly with a superior doctor. If you're training someone absolutely irreplaceable (U21 candidate, or a high potential guy that can't miss training pretty much ever to reach your target build), carrying a higher level doctor makes sense. I would encourage you instead to in the short term play the odds by firing the current one, and try to find a cheap level basic/competent with the taping injuries specialty. That specialty doesn't activate exceptionally often (maybe 20% or so in my recollection) but it can help.

Just remember that salaries for staff members increase weekly, and higher staff require higher raises. My trainer right now gets an extra thousand dollars every week, which is a great gig if you can get it.

This Post:
277256.146 in reply to 277256.142
Date: 3/8/2016 9:24:39 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
"They" like telling you there are almost an unlimited number of ways to play this game. Just not your way, with a $16,000 weekly profit.

Nobody's stopping this person or anyone else from playing that way. Anyone who can afford the initial purchases of staff can choose to play with $100k/week in staff expenses for as long as they can avoid bankruptcy; what they can not do is expect to receive the same profits as they would with 50k/week in staff expenses.

This Post:
277256.147 in reply to 277256.146
Date: 3/8/2016 12:17:48 PM
Monkeykid Maniacs
III.12
Overall Posts Rated:
Well either way I can't even actually afford to fire a staff member (literally) at the moment because of the way timing worked out. Until I play another home game and go back into the positive balances, firing puts me more in debt xP

It's also really bad fortune that my schedule this season is wonky and I have multiple weeks where I have no home game, thus make no profit those weeks.

Means I sink further because of the 5% penalty, but not dooming because I'll never get anywhere close to bankruptcy. Still even with that said, I'm not willing to spend on anything while at a negative balance.

I guess I would have been in a better financial situation if I hadn't upgraded my stadium this season. It could take a full season of games for the difference in income to make up for the expenses to expand, so maybe wasn't the best move on my part.

The floor may not be the end all, but it does ruin one's plans when they're riding the line like I was. If I knew it was coming sooner and the effect of it, I would have re-done my staff ahead of time, I think. But I spent more on them because I could afford to and could use the benefits (at least in the Trainer's case... the other two are questionable)

Advertisement