BB USA > FML Radio: The Draft (khenry)

FML Radio: The Draft (khenry)

Set priority
Show messages by

This Post:
278674.14 in reply to 278674.13
Date: 5/10/2016 2:16:14 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Any managers seeking advise, feel free to contact me.

With such horrifying spelling mistakes I can't imagine anyone thinking you'd be smart enough to teach them anything!

*looks at team page*

*digests view*

Yeah, well...

This Post:
278674.15 in reply to 278674.13
Date: 5/10/2016 3:49:59 AM
Arizona Desert Storm
III.3
Overall Posts Rated:
I had hoped my success could help influence US managers to rebuild their teams around multi-skilled US prospects, and I believe it has.

Do you really think so? Are there any USA NT players left for anyone else? Seems like you have them all :-) Additionally, who can afford to buy them these days? Very few teams. I remember buying Lorenzo Bland for over 700K, and Andy Wilder for something like $500K and I felt like I overpaid for those guys.

After Season 26 I tanked to take time training Irby and Estes, and bank some money. Along the way I ended up buying Oudin who was still trainable...So I figured I would land back in the NBBA with 3 starters and about $5 Mil and with that I could add two starting bigs, and 2-3 backups. Following Season 26, I liquidated my team....It was a very good team...I thought it was the best team in the country, but my loss to Bullish Mentality in the Finals makes that a big question,,,but it was definitely one of the best teams in the country and my liquidation netted me around $2 million.

When I started my rebuild, I figured after banking some $$, that would have been plenty to build a team...at that point, I figured even if I couldn't land exactly what I wanted, I could pick up an older stud big man for $100K-$200k....In just 5 or so seasons the economy totally changed.

Who knows, by the time you come back, you might arrive with $20 mil + and the economy may be back down again and you can rebuild for a fraction of what it cost this time...but for now, it's very difficult to add significant players from the TL unless you are sitting on a lot of money.

The bigger point I am trying to make is that while you're plan makes sense, it only makes sense for one team at a time to be successful with it. I have an excellent team right now, but it's a distant 2nd to yours. There is little I can do to make it any better...even if I were sitting on some real money, it would be difficult to add anyone to catch up to the NT'ers you have...and even if I could find some quality players to bridge the talent gap, I'd be running at a significant loss every week because there are not enough NT'ers to go around. What are you making in Merch $ right now, $200Kish? I'm making $75K a week. That's an extra $125k a week you can carry on your payroll that I can't.

I am not making this point to whine...I think you've done a masterful job building your team....but again, I think this strategy is only going to work for one team at a time. Whoever has the money, and lands the NT players, will have such an advantage that no one else in the country can match it.

Last edited by Jason at 5/10/2016 3:54:02 AM

This Post:
278674.16 in reply to 278674.15
Date: 5/10/2016 10:11:31 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Wow... I make more in merch than you do. I net about 98k a week.

I already dibbsed Bowens if A-dub starts tanking next season. O:)

This Post:
278674.17 in reply to 278674.14
Date: 5/10/2016 2:36:46 PM
Upsyndrome
III.15
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Upsyndrome II

With such horrifying spelling mistakes I can't imagine anyone thinking you'd be smart enough to teach them anything!

I don't even proof read when I post from my phone, too daunting of a task.

"You will lose." -Ivan Drago

This Post:
278674.18 in reply to 278674.15
Date: 5/10/2016 3:41:20 PM
Upsyndrome
III.15
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Upsyndrome II
Do you really think so? Are there any USA NT players left for anyone else? Seems like you have them all :-) Additionally, who can afford to buy them these days? Very few teams.

I was implying that other US managers train their own USNT prospects through the draft, a much cheaper alternative.

What are you making in Merch $ right now, $200Kish? I'm making $75K a week. That's an extra $125k a week you can carry on your payroll that I can't.

$220K. Again, I'm not suggesting other managers go out and spend 5m+ on a NT player, but rather, to train their own: as you can see in merchandise alone, there is a significant advantage in training NT players, especially homegrown. I hope more US managers understand the benefits in taking the time to rebuild through the draft and investing money into training NT prospects. The best NT players are too expensive to acquire, so why not train your own?

"You will lose." -Ivan Drago
This Post:
278674.19 in reply to 278674.18
Date: 5/11/2016 10:29:38 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
my sense is that future teams will have trained a core of maybe two very high level players (maybe three within a 3-4 bracket of years) and add useful, talented, but not behemoths to assemble a team.

something like the Cavaliers -- LeBron, Kyrie, and well-selected supporting cast.

i think that could be affordable.

the challenge is then not only on training, but on selecting effective talent with a budget. possibly older players could play a role here.

but Jason is right -- building a team by purchasing several high quality / NT players is not possible these days.

when i rebuilt, i trained the supporting cast and purchased the stars. i don't think that path would work today -- maybe if you knew what you were doing, but i only got 4 or 5 players of a certain age cohort up to around 100 sp, not good enough for the NBBA.