BuzzerBeater Forums

BB Global (English) > S34 Salary floor increase: Comedy or drama?

S34 Salary floor increase: Comedy or drama?

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
277256.147 in reply to 277256.146
Date: 3/8/2016 12:17:48 PM
Monkeykid Maniacs
III.12
Overall Posts Rated:
Well either way I can't even actually afford to fire a staff member (literally) at the moment because of the way timing worked out. Until I play another home game and go back into the positive balances, firing puts me more in debt xP

It's also really bad fortune that my schedule this season is wonky and I have multiple weeks where I have no home game, thus make no profit those weeks.

Means I sink further because of the 5% penalty, but not dooming because I'll never get anywhere close to bankruptcy. Still even with that said, I'm not willing to spend on anything while at a negative balance.

I guess I would have been in a better financial situation if I hadn't upgraded my stadium this season. It could take a full season of games for the difference in income to make up for the expenses to expand, so maybe wasn't the best move on my part.

The floor may not be the end all, but it does ruin one's plans when they're riding the line like I was. If I knew it was coming sooner and the effect of it, I would have re-done my staff ahead of time, I think. But I spent more on them because I could afford to and could use the benefits (at least in the Trainer's case... the other two are questionable)

This Post:
277256.149 in reply to 277256.147
Date: 3/8/2016 1:05:03 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Well either way I can't even actually afford to fire a staff member (literally) at the moment because of the way timing worked out. Until I play another home game and go back into the positive balances, firing puts me more in debt xP

You literally can fire a staff member if you're in debt. You can not bid on a new one, but you absolutely can fire one and have a minimum level staffer with the base 2k salary replace him. That does, naturally, add more debt immediately, but then replacing that weekly salary plus 2% increases weekly with a 2000 salary plus 2% increases of that means you come out ahead within two weeks.

It's also really bad fortune that my schedule this season is wonky and I have multiple weeks where I have no home game, thus make no profit those weeks.

That's true. The thing that many people don't realize is that the regular season is 22 games over 12 weeks, which means that your financial calculations have to include the fact that you pay salary for 12 weeks and only receive 11 games worth of attendance revenue.

I guess I would have been in a better financial situation if I hadn't upgraded my stadium this season. It could take a full season of games for the difference in income to make up for the expenses to expand, so maybe wasn't the best move on my part.

The floor may not be the end all, but it does ruin one's plans when they're riding the line like I was. If I knew it was coming sooner and the effect of it, I would have re-done my staff ahead of time, I think. But I spent more on them because I could afford to and could use the benefits (at least in the Trainer's case... the other two are questionable)

The thing is, I think investing in the arena was almost certainly a wise choice. The way you think about it is correct - the more income you have, the more salary and expense you can support, and you're trading an upfront amount of cash for a future revenue stream. (Or whatever the correct terminology will be, I am not an economist nor have I played one on TV). I think, however, as long as you're focusing on the floor as the cause of your problems, you may well continue to suffer from the same problems. The salary floor is costing you, what, $14k above your player salaries (based on your statement about profit going from 16 to 2 k, at least). I glanced at your roster and I come up with roughly 56k in salary (again, estimated, so I may be off a couple thousand, or more if I doublecounted someone or missed someone).

So, let's say that of your weekly expenses, fifteen thousand are because of the floor. You'd be paying a total of roughly 165k total (spitballed 56k salary + 14k floor difference + 93k and rising staff). The penalty of the salary floor is less than one tenth of your weekly expenses, so it's not what's weighing you down. If you shave the doctor and PR down and keep your trainer, that's probably at least 40k saved per week - by itself nearly three times the added cost the floor is causing you.

Look at it this way, maybe: you are talking about the lack of a home game being a significant drain - but if you sell out your arena as it *currently* stands, you pull in 98.5k. You're spending almost that much each week just on staff, which leaves TV revenue to balance out the salary floor (exactly, since the floor is 100% of TV revenue in IV). Merchandising gives you some cushion, though, unless you spend that money on scouting. That math can't work out for you in the long term, so the question is if you're going to just keep bleeding money until you've got no alternative or if you can cut down somewhat so that you can accumulate some cash to use for other things.

This Post:
277256.151 in reply to 277256.142
Date: 3/8/2016 2:43:16 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
"They" like telling you there are almost an unlimited number of ways to play this game. Just not your way, with a $16,000 weekly profit.

The good thing is that although your way, even with a $16k weekly profit, has been made ineffective, there are guys who will tell you how to play it differently. You have some helpful tips in this thread, for example.

This Post:
277256.152 in reply to 277256.150
Date: 3/8/2016 2:45:49 PM
Overall Posts Rated:

I do not have the numbers, but the %age are different depending on the staff level.

Staff salary increase = 0.75% + (0.25% * staff level)

This Post:
277256.154 in reply to 277256.152
Date: 3/19/2016 5:37:14 PM
Maddogs-Hellas
IV.5
Overall Posts Rated:

I do not have the numbers, but the %age are different depending on the staff level.

Staff salary increase = 0.75% + (0.25% * staff level)

Is this an estimate or an exact figure?

This Post:
277256.156 in reply to 277256.155
Date: 3/19/2016 7:13:58 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
As an old player that have been away from BB for quite a few seasons, I find it crippling to have to focus on building my arena for a season or two. I could focus only on that, as experience tells me it pays off, but it takes away a lot of the fun. So I have taken the middle road, buying players at almost the same rate that I have built my stadium even though I have a lot of time until the salary floor hits me.

It is a bit confusing with the economy overview showing the income based upon the salary floor before it applies.

Since training is such a big part of the game, more staff should be available. Since the game is built kinda lika a study in economics, it clearly shows that as long as there are people/teams with a lot of money they run the game. Maybe it is time for a revolution. I know that if I spend a few years of my life I will get to the top level (at least in my country), but what happened to the fun part? I think BB needs some more goofy content available to more people. Like customisable jerseys (I will never stop insisting on this), customisable half time show, and such. And let the supporter options for easier search, more stats etc be an option for the serious players.

My concern is that for new players, especially in a micronation, such as my own, the gap from playing bot teams in div II, to playing top teams in div I is enormous. I remember the first time I played, when my nation had players in three divisions, I could play the promotion bonus and subsequently demote to get top draft picks until I got to a level where I could stay in division and have a run at promotion to the top league. That was fun. Now I feel like I don't stand any chance if(!) I promote, and playing bots gets boring after a while. I would actually propose merging the scandinavian leagues (Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Island) to get some dynamics into these leagues. I also remember that I spent a lot of time following the market for other micronations, so I could train players that had a good chance at getting into the U21/NT. I'm getting off topic, so I will stop now.

Last edited by Surpomp at 3/19/2016 7:16:19 PM

Advertisement