BuzzerBeater Forums

BB Global (English) > S34 Salary floor increase: Comedy or drama?

S34 Salary floor increase: Comedy or drama?

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
277256.16 in reply to 277256.13
Date: 2/18/2016 1:29:01 PM
Yesilyurt_Sk
TBL
Overall Posts Rated:
I can't deny BB's efforts to bring a more equitable economic system to the game. Yet, this change will cause harm to the payroll efficient teams rather than punishing tanking teams. Someone who wants to tank would still do it as they have nothing to lose but a small amount of money compared to their profits. Tanking still makes you a significant amount of money and the managers will keep on taking advantage of it. There must be better ways to punish them while you make sure other managers are not affected by your decision.

Last season, I managed to make it to the finals with my payroll below the salary floor. With some players up and down in their salaries, my salary total remained same after the preseason update and I will be paying $30.000 each week basically for nothing if I don't add a new player to my roster. I am in a rebuilding process for some seasons now and don't have intention of improving my roster until my trainees become ready to compete at top level. I already loose each second I don't spend my money. It's my choice and the inflation in the market is simply killing me. So, in addition to that, why am I forced to spend money in this overspending market just to reach the salary floor? Instead, I believe I should be awarded for being able to compete against expensive teams with my humble team and do not deserve to be treated almost as same as tanking teams in terms of fan survey when I lost against a team that pay twice my team for salaries.

This Post:
277256.17 in reply to 277256.15
Date: 2/18/2016 1:44:58 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Can't write a long answer now, but there are a few things you mention, that in my opinion are wrong. Maybe tomorrow...

Größter Knecht aller Zeiten aka His Excellency aka President for Life aka Field Marshal Al Hadji aka Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas aka aka Conqueror of the Buzzerbeater Empire in Europe in General and Austria in Particular
This Post:
277256.19 in reply to 277256.18
Date: 2/18/2016 2:16:55 PM
Yesilyurt_Sk
TBL
Overall Posts Rated:
It is more about the opposition as you've said. In a tougher league, I would have probably finished between 5-7 or barely made play-offs. Even if that's the case, I think my point still stands.

If I believed $30.000 would make the difference, I would have improved my roster without a second thought. However, the cost of championship is much more than $30.000 and I do not want to spend that money until my trainees turn 26-27 years old. Therefore, I'd rather not spend $30.000 because it makes almost no difference as far as my final standing is concerned.

This Post:
277256.20 in reply to 277256.18
Date: 2/18/2016 3:33:04 PM
Maddogs-Hellas
IV.5
Overall Posts Rated:
Who knows, maybe with those $30.000 split over some players or a better player, you would have won the final. You lost 5 of the 8 games against the other conference, so it's not a big domination on your part either.

Still, congrats on succeeding with a financially succesful roster. Bit telling about the opposition though.

I see.
For those who make due with limited salaries, being competitive without being dominant, isn't really that competitive!

This Post:
277256.21 in reply to 277256.13
Date: 2/18/2016 4:43:29 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Discouraging tanking while crippling new teams at the same time is a pretty bad compromise.

I can't find a team right now that is ~16 weeks old, but I am pretty sure most of those teams have not finished their stadium and a pretty bad roster, that does not fit the salary floor criteria.

How would a good starting strategy for a new team in DIV II-III look like right now? I don't know, but I am pretty sure the salary floor is a huge handicap for beginners in the first few months.

Strategies at ANY level for tripling your team salary to get up to the floor:

1. Buy enough players to get up to the salary floor? No, the Transfer Market is wildly, wildly overpriced so all they can do is throw money at garbage players.
2. Buy more expensive staff? No, staff salaries don't count against the floor.
3. Train up their players so their salaries rise to meet the floor? No, training works in 6 or 8 or 10 seasons, not 16 weeks.
4. ___________ open for suggestions ...

This Post:
277256.24 in reply to 277256.23
Date: 2/18/2016 11:24:23 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
First of all, your time frame there is a helluva lot longer than 16 weeks. That's all new teams will have, and many of them need to triple their salary base to get above the floor. I think a LOT more teams are going to have to operate below the floor, and that is sure to stimulate joy in the hearts of new coaches ... NOT.

I bought pretty bad players for some positions that was better then my starting players
So did I, when I wasn't troubled by the higher salary floor. That was one of the possibilities I considered, but the Transfer Market is only getting worse and worse.

added some seats now and then to my arena
Irrelevant to the salary floor, as far as I know.

trained my own drafted players with an advanced trainer.
Again, I am looking at the 16-week grace period given new teams. Training results are not within that window, and an advanced trainer is likely to be beyond the reach of a new team trying to get above the salary floor.

...as my economy grew ... after another promotion ...
... and we have left the 16 week window far behind in the dust. As I suspected, so far there aren't many suggestions how a new team is going to triple its salary base in 16 weeks to get above the floor.

I was at no point so low in salary that I would have been hit by the salary floor either.
Maybe missing out on that experience makes it hard to walk a mile in such a manager's shoes.

This Post:
277256.26 in reply to 277256.15
Date: 2/19/2016 3:57:55 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Come on let's be reasonable, this one about "new managers" is a completely ridiculous argument.

So complaining because they make, maybe, 20k less per week well into their second season and they have more than 1 season without floor seems puzzling.

It is compelety ridiculous to mix up new teams, promotion bonusses and the revenue of Englands D I, just to refute my opinion.

You said:
To make a profit in D1 in England you need to make 156k per week.

The break even point really? If I make $1 per week, with a weak roster AND minimum salary staff (that would drag me into the red the very next week) I might be making a profit, but I am going nowhere.

I see, that the salary floor in "competitive" leagues might be too low - good indicator would be demoting teams, that promote the next season, but then again we could raise the demotion penalty and hurt specific teams that underperform.

Take a look at a team in my league: (42118)

45k salary with a standard 21 man roster - 6k arena

arena max income: $79k
TV: 109k
merch: 63k

Income in the first 16 weeks if this team stays put ~ 3.3 million. Just take a look what players 3.3 million will get you (keep in mind you have to add 140k total salary), old farts that will decline, foreigners most certainly, that will make your merchandise fall off a cliff. If you invest like half the money in your arena, you get even less useful players.

Promotion money is far far away and the gap between established and new teams is the same as before, it just takes longer to catch up.

For the "real" tanking teams nothing has changed. in my situation: They demote from D I. with a 500-600k roster, sell one or two players, cruise to the finals like it ain't a thang, maybe add one or two players after allstar-break. Win promotion, rinse repeat.

Größter Knecht aller Zeiten aka His Excellency aka President for Life aka Field Marshal Al Hadji aka Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas aka aka Conqueror of the Buzzerbeater Empire in Europe in General and Austria in Particular
Advertisement