Show messages by

To: ned
This Post:
166665.162 in reply to 166665.131
Date: 1/4/2011 1:23:08 PM
HellasVerona
III.12
Overall Posts Rated:
How about playing with the intention of losing your League V relegation games? Does anybody do that? And if you do it, do you get a better shot at the Draft?

This Post:
166665.163 in reply to 166665.162
Date: 1/4/2011 3:15:47 PM
JMDCeltics
II.3
Overall Posts Rated:
You can do it if you want to be placed in another group in V if yours is a strong one, because you´ll be demoted and you´ll probably be promoted again by a bot team. But it doesn´t change your draft pick position which is the 4th position.
Best regards.

Last edited by jacobomd at 1/4/2011 3:17:04 PM

This Post:
166665.164 in reply to 166665.1
Date: 7/5/2011 6:37:46 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
With the new rule that teams dont have to pay salaries if they have no competitive game, fifth place has just become much more interesting than place 4 and the income you get from 1 playoff game (in most leagues I know the no1 seed crushes the no4)

I don't know if this was the best idea to "upgrade" the 5th place.

Sorry for dumping, but it would be nice to see some results of this bad suggestion that came as a new change;

http://www.buzzerbeater.com/league/205/overview.aspx

A team of my conference(C3POS) giving up a game to finish on the fifth place. The other fifth of the conference did the same, he gave up the important matchs against the fourth. If you scout more leagues i'm sure there are a lot of cases like this one.

http://www.buzzerbeater.com/league/191/overview.aspx

From the spanish Div 1.

The team airsjordans that was on the 3rd position is losing just to try to finish as fifth too. Last match of the season is against Vargas(the fith).

What happens if both teams make a W.O. just to try to finish 5th? Pathetic situations.

Is that what BB's wanted? This change is encouraging the teams to lose, not to win lol

Last edited by Marot at 7/5/2011 6:40:36 PM

This Post:
166665.166 in reply to 166665.165
Date: 7/6/2011 2:53:58 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
[quote
The question is: over the course of a season, will that PR boost earn you more money than a week's roster salary (during this season's playoffs)? Anyone know if there's a way to quantify this?
Probably not, but the change was still necessary as before 5th place was a death trap. Now it's a pretty nice place to be but it's not as if 4th place has become bad. A team that's in 4th place may try to throw a game to get to 5th place,but if he fails it still won't be too bad.

Check the Suggestions they are important

This Post:
166665.167 in reply to 166665.164
Date: 7/6/2011 3:41:27 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
The change isn't a perfect solution but a lot of suggestions were made that were never perfectly satisfying. You have probably made suggestions in the past to correct the problem, will you remind us your solution ? Or were you in favor of a status quo ?

What happens now for the 5th place used to happen for the 6th. It's less harmful as it is now. It was really frustrating for teams fighting a whole season for survival to face a tanking top team in an unbalanced PD contest. I have seen teams that could have gone for the title but as challengers who let themselves drop to 6th because the GM thought rightly or wrongly it was better for the long term.

I really better like it as it is now.

You can't implement rules to stop teams from giving up games. It would be impossible to enforce anyway.
There will always be teams who indirectly suffer from other teams letting go games or simply making mistakes, playing badly, losing unexpectedly. That's part of the game, it happens in real sports.

I am sure BBs would consider a better solution. Good suggestions are welcome.

This Post:
166665.168 in reply to 166665.167
Date: 7/6/2011 4:03:03 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
The profits of ending up fourth is not just the better PR for the following season but also (depending on your schedule) better attendance in the last matches of the current season.

I was considering to purposely lose 2 or 3 matches but that would've cost me a lot of money now because less people would've watched my matches now.

We have both said a lot of things that you are going to regret.
This Post:
166665.169 in reply to 166665.168
Date: 7/6/2011 4:21:22 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Show us the math and I will stay mute for a whole season!

Everybody who is in favor of this change tells us that the additional income from higher fan survey outweighs the loss that occurs from paying the salaries and receiving the lowest arena income of the season (remember its the playoffs!!!) and yet nobody showed us some proof.

This Post:
166665.171 in reply to 166665.170
Date: 7/6/2011 11:08:10 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
situation for my club would look like this if I finished fourth:

player salaries 720k - arena income 165k = 550k expenses

So one week of playoffs will cost me 550k (assuming that the fourth seed will lose against the no 1 seed), as the fifth seed I would save that money.

If the dropoff from fifth to sixth place is quite significant (tanking teams, bots whatever...) and I can tank a week or two without falling below 5th place the money saved is even more, so a clever manager could save around a million more just by finishing fifth.

Now please show me how I can make 550k-1.5 million more only through ticket sales and merchandise revenue (which seems to be pretty random and erratic to me).

This Post:
166665.172 in reply to 166665.167
Date: 7/6/2011 11:54:46 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
The change isn't a perfect solution but a lot of suggestions were made that were never perfectly satisfying. You have probably made suggestions in the past to correct the problem, will you remind us your solution ? Or were you in favor of a status quo ?

What happens now for the 5th place used to happen for the 6th. It's less harmful as it is now. It was really frustrating for teams fighting a whole season for survival to face a tanking top team in an unbalanced PD contest. I have seen teams that could have gone for the title but as challengers who let themselves drop to 6th because the GM thought rightly or wrongly it was better for the long term.

I really better like it as it is now.

You can't implement rules to stop teams from giving up games. It would be impossible to enforce anyway.
There will always be teams who indirectly suffer from other teams letting go games or simply making mistakes, playing badly, losing unexpectedly. That's part of the game, it happens in real sports.

I am sure BBs would consider a better solution. Good suggestions are welcome.

You like to play a game that encourages the teams to lose and not to win?

We went from 1 side to the other side, it has been a change of 360 degrees and totally a wrong change.

As Knecht said, you can save a quite good amount of money by finishing fifth(and also better situation for the draft), even if the PR for the next season isn't ''that good'' i doubt that the difference between 4th and fifth it's high.

And if i'm wrong I would like to see some data about the opportunity cost between 5th or 4th, but i bet that in a 80-90% of the cases is better to finish 5th than 4th.

Advertisement