Suggested playoff changes

Set priority
Show messages by

To: RiP
This Post:
57312.17 in reply to 57312.16
Date: 11/12/2008 5:24:54 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Maybe there could be some sort of compensation for teams knocked out early? This could create a balance.

This is what I was talking about when I mentioned the balancing fund in one of my earlier posts. A fund where the team who are knocked out and are either not playing in the playoffs and do not have a revenue raising game after the season ends. This could be a fighting fund, a balancing fund, whatever you want to call it. It could be given to the teams on a sliding scale, 5th gets 50K, 6th gets 75K and so on (the figures could be anything, let the BB GM think of it).

It could be a cash injection from the owner, a new sponsors sign on fee, cash injection after a new owner comes on board, whatever.

I simply think that 3 games for the semi finals and finals makes more sense, and that to balance the extra cash (maximum of 2 games) going to the teams involved a cash injection into teams who finished outside the playoffs be set up.

This Post:
57312.18 in reply to 57312.6
Date: 11/12/2008 6:01:03 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Well, economy aside you took scrimmages from play off teams. That's not good. Scrimmages can be important and be cornerstone of someone's strategy. And there could be major problems regarding game shape. This could even influence bench structure and number of players on roster for some teams. I think it shouldn't.

????

Scrimmages = cornerstones of someones strategy??

How about scrimmages are a complete waste for anything other than training... you risk injury so you might as well play you worst 3 players and no backups.

I would love for scrimmages to be more important but at the moment they are certainly not... (IMO!)

This Post:
57312.19 in reply to 57312.18
Date: 11/12/2008 6:18:47 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
How about scrimmages are a complete waste for anything other than training...

Training, on the other hand, is a significant part of the strategy of successful teams.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
This Post:
57312.20 in reply to 57312.18
Date: 11/12/2008 6:28:53 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Do you know what words "can" and "someone" mean?

You answered your questions in second sentence of your comment.

Different people in different situations would/could prefer different things. That's not about me at all.

This Post:
57312.21 in reply to 57312.20
Date: 11/12/2008 7:25:46 PM
Overall Posts Rated:

My suggestion from the thread in the Aussie forum:

I'd rather 3-3-3 with games being played on Thursday, the teams that get knocked out play series against other teams that get knocked out as well as a similar set up for the bottom 4. A 5 game finals series is a bit excessive. I hate sudden death and I don't think it has any place in this game other than the cup (still have nightmares about going 20-2 in Div II and getting knocked out in the semi's). Having the home team just be from the conference that won the All-Star game is bad.

Of coarse it would be hard playing 3 compeditive games for up to 3 weeks, I guess the guys in the B3 already do that though, and everyone would be in the same boat.

This Post:
57312.22 in reply to 57312.4
Date: 11/13/2008 4:07:09 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Below is a suggested finals schedule
4/11 - round 1 PO
7/11 - round 2 SF game 1
8/11 - round 2 SF game 2
11/11 - round 2 SF Tie Braker
14/11 - Final game 1
15/11 - Final game 2
16/11 - Final Tie Braker

How would the minutes behave regarding to form? You would have 3 competitive games a week during all those 3 weeks. It would either mean sitting some of your players out from some games or then the team who won his semifinals straight in 2 games would have a big advantage in finals over a team who needed all 3 games to clear the semifinals.

This Post:
57312.23 in reply to 57312.21
Date: 11/13/2008 4:11:30 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Of coarse it would be hard playing 3 compeditive games for up to 3 weeks, I guess the guys in the B3 already do that though, and everyone would be in the same boat.

Having the second games only day after the first games will be a disadvantage to those who for some reason can't login between those matches nor have enough time to think about their set-up for the second game. Many managers would most likely want to change at least their attitude if unexpectedly won or lost the first game of the series.

This Post:
57312.25 in reply to 57312.22
Date: 11/13/2008 9:12:35 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
What you raise regarding minutes affecting form is true, and previously I have suggested that the BB powers can manipulate in the finals the affect of minutes on form, as they currently manipulate the affects of effort level in the finals.

Despite that you answered your own question, it would mean sitting some of your players out, or start them on the bench, in effect managing your line up as you go through the finals to make sure you get the best out of your team. Not eveyone will agree with this approach, but I would find it a greater management challenge, and therefore of greater interest, during the final series. In my league the team that knocked me out in the semi finals completely changed his back court in the first game of the finals, relying on his tactics in order to rest his regular starters, making sure they were fresh for the 2nd game. He still won the 1st game of the final series. This is an example of what I believe is the great thing about this game, managing your team.

And before I get some of the responses I have received previously wheh I dared to mention my own personal views...SO....., who cares what you think. I added the last bit :P

This Post:
57312.26 in reply to 57312.25
Date: 11/13/2008 5:48:56 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Despite that you answered your own question, it would mean sitting some of your players out, or start them on the bench, in effect managing your line up as you go through the finals to make sure you get the best out of your team.

What would be the Finals with Garnett and Pierce coming off the bench or Bryant not wearing at all.

In my league the team that knocked me out in the semi finals completely changed his back court in the first game of the finals, relying on his tactics in order to rest his regular starters, making sure they were fresh for the 2nd game.

?? They won't play any better in the 2nd game now than they would've with playing all the minutes in the 1st game.

This Post:
57312.27 in reply to 57312.26
Date: 11/13/2008 6:00:45 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I'm confident that at least at the Lakers with the record of Coby, their would be an opening for a head coach the next year.

We all know that the better players raise their game in the finals, step up get the job done. Thats why I suggest that the BB powers adjust the affects of minutes in the playoffs on form, like they currently adjust the effort effects in the playoffs.

But having this conversation about real life players I can hear managers all over the BB world saying
"This is not real life, it is a game, so real life has no real say on what happens in BB world"
I thought I would put this in and try to avert the response from someone else. I know it will come because I've had it said to me before :P

Advertisement