BuzzerBeater Forums

Non-BB Global (English) > John Wall; Future NBA Superstar?

John Wall; Future NBA Superstar?

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
130049.18 in reply to 130049.14
Date: 2/5/2010 3:25:37 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I seriously doubt that the european top leagues are that much weaker than the NBA - I think the gap between teams like Minnesota and Barcelona is pretty slim and one day an european league mmight overtake the NBA...

This Post:
130049.20 in reply to 130049.19
Date: 2/5/2010 4:05:27 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
one day an european league might overtake the NBA

that's flat out impossible, due to the different budget of the teams — I have no doubt lebron, kobe or wade would come to play in europe if they were offered $20 mil/year, but that's just not gonna happen

I am sure an european league would have no problem at all to compete at the same level, the russian hockey league is already attacking the NHL, the same could happen with basketball. With the weak dollar and lower taxes europe could have an edge.

A possible european league with teams in the major european cities (London, Berlin, Madrid, Barcelona, Rome, Milan, Moscow, Paris...) would - imo - have the same audiences as teams in the USA - media coverage might be too weak, but who knows...

This Post:
130049.21 in reply to 130049.20
Date: 2/5/2010 4:07:56 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
It's different in the NBA than the NHL in that a grand majority of the NBA players come from the USA, while the NHL has a much more diverse player population.

NO ONE at this table ordered a rum & Coke
Charles: Penn has some good people
A CT? Really?
Any two will do
Any three for me
Any four will score
Any five are live
This Post:
130049.24 in reply to 130049.21
Date: 2/5/2010 8:49:02 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
It's different in the NBA than the NHL in that a grand majority of the NBA players come from the USA, while the NHL has a much more diverse player population.

Don't get your point.

This Post:
130049.25 in reply to 130049.24
Date: 2/6/2010 7:26:36 PM
Overall Posts Rated:

Don't get your point.

Hockey is different where you don't have one country that has the grand majority of the best players, and Russia has enough players to sustain a quality league.

The NBA has pretty much the best players in the world, and most of them are from the USA. A Euro basketball league will probably never have the quality of the NBA since most players will "stay home" in the USA.

NO ONE at this table ordered a rum & Coke
Charles: Penn has some good people
A CT? Really?
Any two will do
Any three for me
Any four will score
Any five are live
This Post:
130049.26 in reply to 130049.25
Date: 2/6/2010 7:54:38 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
If the money paid was be the same I am quite sure nobody would come to europe, culture and language(s) are a big barrier in this case I think. At least the Americans I met all over the world had some problems adapting to the foreign environment, and those were mostly students...

But as basketball gains popularity in Europe I think the leagues over here will improve over the next few years, so that the overlay of american talent might not be as big in the coming years.

This Post:
130049.27 in reply to 130049.26
Date: 2/8/2010 7:32:24 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I used to live in the US and now in France, I have noticed something very important ! University sports or globally "scholarship sports" are much more famous in the US than in Europe.

For example in France, we don't have any NCAA or something that can come close to this kind of championship. In fact, students are not pushed by their school to perform in any kind of sports. That is the reason why there is no John Wall growing in Europe ...

Ôh vous, petits et grands managers ! Vous avez des soucis de communication ? BB-Mailer Mykah, expert en BB-Com" !
This Post:
130049.28 in reply to 130049.27
Date: 2/8/2010 12:38:31 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I used to live in the US and now in France, I have noticed something very important ! University sports or globally "scholarship sports" are much more famous in the US than in Europe.

For example in France, we don't have any NCAA or something that can come close to this kind of championship. In fact, students are not pushed by their school to perform in any kind of sports. That is the reason why there is no John Wall growing in Europe ...

Honestly, if it wasn't for that silly one-and-done rule, John Wall would be in the NBA this season. I don't think it has much to do with college athletics...I think the states just has a lot of kids that play a lot of hoops. Just like Brazil has lots of kids playing soccer, Canada has a lot of hockey players etc.

Advertisement