280507.18 in reply to 280507.16
Date: 7/5/2016 1:13:56 PM

This Post:
280507.19 in reply to 280507.18
Date: 7/5/2016 1:42:48 PM
DunkTales
II.4
Overall Posts Rated:
I´m sorry, I missunderstood your point. I thought he would have been informed before the Ibaka-trade was completet.

This Post:
280507.20 in reply to 280507.1
Date: 7/5/2016 2:49:14 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I think the more interesting story is how all these unlikely events lined just right for this free agency move to happen:

1.) The Big Three come together on the Heat in 2010.

2.) Durant signs a 5 year extension in June 2011.

3.) Resentment about the big three in the NBA, create a situation where the next NBA CBA negotiation the teams implement a punitive Luxury Tax, where the tax multiplies each year you stay over the threshold. This is done, under the guise of protecting small market teams (which will become ironic shortly).

4.) During the same CBA agreement, the Rose Provision is also instated, allowing teams to commit up to 30% of the salary cap to one player.

5.) The NBA automatically applied the Rose Provision to the Durant contract, which is unusual, because in the event you have a player that's eligible for the Rose Provision you generally negotiate for the extra percentages. This is a big deal, because it was several million dollars per year committed to Durant when they also had Westbrook, Harden and Ibaka's contracts coming up. (http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7372795/kevin-durant-fi...)

6.) Thunder make the Finals, everyone thinks the Thunder are the future dynasty of the NBA.

7.) The off-season arrives. Thunder's owner is notoriously cheap regarding the aforementioned Luxury Tax, which was now worse due to the CBA and thus the Thunder panic.

8.) James Harden is traded for a bunch of pieces that amount to roughly Steven Adams. Thunder get Jeremy Lamb, Kevin Martin, 2 1st round draft picks (Mitch McGary & Steven Adams was later selected), a 2013 2nd round draft pick (Alex Abrines was later selected).

9.) The league, realizing this was unfair, refunded the money from the Rose Provision to the Thunder. Would they still have made a trade? Maybe, Harden wanted to be a star, but it wouldn't've been so desperate. Nonetheless, it was too late... Harden is gone. (http://newsok.com/article/3863784)

10.) Westbrook then has three knee surgeries, a pair of extended absences and a strict maintenance program. Westbrook missed nine playoff games in 2013, thus ending that playoff run.

11.) In the 2014 playoffs Ibaka only missed three games, unfortunately all playoffs games. Including two games of the Western Conference Finals, in which the Thunder lost both to the Spurs. When he came back he wasn't quite the same and the Thunder lost the series.

12.) A new TV deal is struck, one that will drastically increase the NBA's revenue and raise the cap. (It's going up in 2017 too, btw)

13.) Durant's foot and to a lesser extent Ibaka's knee injury ended the 2014-15 season campaign.

14.) The Players Union rejects the proposed "cap smoothing" that would gradually increase the cap over time thus creating an enormous amount of space for the 2016 off-season. (http://www.sbnation.com/2015/3/11/8192081/nba-salary-cap-...)

15.) Despite only 55 wins, The Thunder are finally healthy and they catch a break in the playoffs, Curry isn't 100%... Thus achieving what previously seemed impossible, pushing the Warriors to 3-1. The Thunder absorb two of Draymond's flagrant fouls and tire the entire Warriors team, most notably Iguodala. Unfortunately, the Warriors still managed to win the series.

16.) The Warriors now depleted from the Thunder series, hobble into the Finals. Warriors manage to go up 3-1, but epically collapse. A painful reminder of the effect of health in the NBA playoffs. Seems silly, but if the Warriors had won, it would've been a historic win based on the number of games missed by their starters: (https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/the-warriors-have-be...)

17.) Thus with large amounts of cap room, Durant was available to be courted by a plethora of teams, including a 73 win team that couldn't win the championship. Meanwhile, because of bad luck, decisions a

Last edited by Phat Panda at 7/5/2016 5:50:22 PM

This Post:
280507.21 in reply to 280507.20
Date: 7/5/2016 3:20:10 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
just hand the trophy to the dubs theres no need to even watch the nba.

Even the most stacked teams only enter the playoffs with around a 60% chance of winning the titles. Health has been and always will be the indicator that establishes the ceiling of playoff success. That's before we count in random luck.

So...

BB status:

3-6 seassons tanking + 1 seasson spending the amounts of money acumulated + Good pick trained

NBA status:

1-2 seassons tanking + 1 season recruiting and grouping 2-3 starplayers + Good roleplayers
NBA teams take many years to form. Take the best four teams from last year:

1.) Cleveland - 4 seaons of rebuilding/tanking, then pick up LeBron.
2.) Golden State - 4 seasons of draft picks, 2 years of Mark Jackson then a coaching change to catapult into title form.
3.) OKC - 3 seasons of tanking, then multiple seasons building around top players. 5 years to get that young team to the Finals, 9 years to mature.
4.) San Antonio - Over a decade of carefully calculated decisions.

This Post:
280507.22 in reply to 280507.20
Date: 7/5/2016 5:11:56 PM
DunkTales
II.4
Overall Posts Rated:
I don´t know where you found this, but it´s absolutely well researched and interesting. Thank you :-)

This Post:
280507.26 in reply to 280507.25
Date: 7/6/2016 5:48:24 PM
Mountain Eagles
III.1
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Ric Flair Drippers
lol the NBA is gonna be a joke with KD on the Warriors

He could've won a ring anyways this year with the Thunder, one of the only teams who could've dethroned the Warriors throne. Oladipo I feel is a bigger upgrade over Ibaka as he is a nice perimeter defender and Kanter and Adams would take the paint defensively and be alright.

But nooo, KD wussied out after they blow a 3-1 series lead to go to the team that beat him. hilarious! Hope they gel well otherwise if they fail to win a championship, the hate on KD will get to levels Lebron ain't seen. It'll be 10x worst.

I will be rooting against the Warriors every game I get to see them, now surpassed the Lakers and Mavs as my most hated team.

3 Time NBBA Champion. Certified Trainer. Mentor. Have any questions? Feel free to shoot me a BB-Mail!
This Post:
280507.28 in reply to 280507.27
Date: 7/7/2016 4:30:17 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
It seems Wade is going to Chicago ...

Howl to the Moon, you won't regret it.
Advertisement