278223.20 in reply to 278223.14
Date: 4/6/2016 6:55:34 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
As I see it:

As a professional athlete you get better trough:
1. practice
2. experience
3. doping
Doping would be a brilliant addition to the game tbh!

This Post:
278223.21 in reply to 278223.20
Date: 4/6/2016 7:34:48 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
As I see it:

As a professional athlete you get better trough:
1. practice
2. experience
3. doping
Doping would be a brilliant addition to the game tbh!

I think so. We could spend some money to send player to Miami, Doha or Germany during the offseason, or let the do some "ketogenic paleo" diet. That would be really awesome.

Größter Knecht aller Zeiten aka His Excellency aka President for Life aka Field Marshal Al Hadji aka Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas aka aka Conqueror of the Buzzerbeater Empire in Europe in General and Austria in Particular
This Post:
278223.22 in reply to 278223.1
Date: 4/6/2016 9:00:40 AM
Delaware 87ers
II.3
Overall Posts Rated:
I like the current system. Always have.

You are ok with a system that only permits you to train 3 players in a single skill at maximum training points each week? That is only 60% of a starting lineup. For a 15 man roster that leaves 80% of a roster sitting around doing nothing each week.

Can you really not see why there are just as many people who are frustrated with a system like that?

This is the only online sim game I've come across that is so restrictive on its training system. I know there are some BB's around here. Can one of them explain why such a restrictive system was devised in the first place?

This Post:
278223.23 in reply to 278223.22
Date: 4/6/2016 9:28:07 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Can one of them explain why such a restrictive system was devised in the first place?

I am no BB, but I would guess basketball reasons. xD

Größter Knecht aller Zeiten aka His Excellency aka President for Life aka Field Marshal Al Hadji aka Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas aka aka Conqueror of the Buzzerbeater Empire in Europe in General and Austria in Particular
This Post:
278223.24 in reply to 278223.23
Date: 4/6/2016 3:11:50 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I did not have the time to read everything. just browsed through, so I hope I don't repeat anything.

1. to give an answer to trainermans question from a perspective of someone who cares about reallife basketball and is an active (but not very good) player:

I don't think it is so unrealistic that a young multiskilled starplayer plays out of position for the beginning of his career. I am focussing on star players because if you think of it, it is only them who have to play out of position for a long time. The average starter in my league didn't spent much team out of position. I guess even in the first division many players didnt play out of position very much. And I say multiskilled player, because again only if you want a multiskilled player, he has to play out of position. So your examples dont work, in order to train a player like Shaq and Howard, he would not have to play any other position than PF and C in this Game. (heck you wouldnt even have to train FT)

So the players you have to train out of position are players like this:

- a big who can defend outside, score from outside or run the offense
- a guard with good postgame or a (tall) guard who can play good defense inside
- a small forward

If you look at college basketball, highschool basketball or even young rookies in the NBA you see those players playing out of position. The top guards who are good inside the paint, have played inside the paint when they were young. great forwards have played other positions and multiskilled bigmen like kevin garnett or anthony davis have played guard or SF in their youth.

when i started to play in the mens team in austria (which is really not that competitive i admit), I had to play sf or even guard because i wasn't strong enough to work in the paint. I learned a lot in these days. I always had a good shot, but I learned a lot about passing, defense and how all the different offense are run and how the bigs have to position themselves for me to have an easy pass inside. still I am 6'7'' and are considered a "bigman" now.

So it is not so unrealistic. especially because only multiskilled starplayers have to be trained out of position as i mentioned above. PF with 12+ OD and Passing are not that common in the top leagues. Players like Garnett, Lebron or dwayne wade, who i consider multiskilled are not common in the NBA and I can imagine that they played different positions when they were young (i know it from garnett and lebron, not wade though)

2. I made suggestions in order to improve training in the past. I am not a big fan of it.
- I would like to have some option to train the rest of the team. maybe like a training camp for all players one time a season where everyone can get a pop in a skill of my choice or sth..
- even if I dont think it is as unrealistic as trainerman thinks, I am frustrated sometimes because my best player has to play out of position for more than half of his career. I want to see him score, rebound and light the opponent on fire, but the only thing i see is how bad he performs at PG or C, where he doesnt belong. Even if i like the trainingsystem in general I would like to limit that time somehow.. but i don't have a specific suggestion.

3. I have a suggestion, but I will post it in another thread, out of respect for the threadstarter.

4. I would not be mad if training just stays like it is. it is weird but funny in some aspects

Last edited by jonte at 4/6/2016 3:27:32 PM

This Post:
278223.25 in reply to 278223.24
Date: 4/6/2016 3:27:06 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Most of those multiskilled Bigs have started their careers as kids and had to switch to a frontcourt position because of instand growth spurts.

Anthony Davis went from 6'2" to 6'10" in less than 2 years... Maybe that explains a little bit

This Post:
278223.26 in reply to 278223.25
Date: 4/6/2016 3:28:40 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
yeah but BB-players don't start as kids. they start as 18yo. so we have to work with that..

This Post:
278223.27 in reply to 278223.26
Date: 4/6/2016 3:36:42 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
My point was to refute your position that playing out of position for training reasons is perfectly normal in pro sports.

This Post:
278223.28 in reply to 278223.27
Date: 4/6/2016 5:23:39 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
It is not perfectly normal, but it happens. It isn't perfectly normal for the majority of BB-Players either. I admit that playing "too far out of position" is weird. I made a suggestion which could be a good compromise between the two camps in this treat. also it has some other advantages over the current training system, f.e. that you can train 3 trainees, but play them as normal starters two times a week.

here --> (278239.1)

Advertisement