Suggestions > Training Freethrow in different ways

Training Freethrow in different ways

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
10407.21 in reply to 10407.20
Date: 12/21/2007 7:06:36 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Although increasing the number of parameters makes the game more flexible it doesn't necessarily make it more enjoyable for the user, especially the new user.

As a new user, you're given a team full of players that are crap, with a smattering of talent thrown in. When you look at training options, you see that you cannot train only your forwards in inside skills without also training your center, you can't train your center in passing without training the remainder of the team, and you can only train SF/PF in jump shot and one-on-one for outside skills (just examples). A number of new teams notice where their strengths lie, and attempt to either improve those strengths or improve the team's weaknesses.

What happens to teams that start with a great PF and SG and want to train them into 2 great SFs? They must either move the PF to SF, or move the SG to C (for optimal training); OR they could play them both at SF and train them both really slowly in inside skills, while training them alongside a couple SGs in outside skills. I'd submit that this system doesn't necessarily make it enjoyable for the new user, particularly for users who don't much understand basketball (suggested reasoning behind "best position").

I love this game, and have nothing but the utmost respect for the amazing things you (and the rest for the development team) have done and are doing. But I'm having a really hard time formulating a long-term training strategy given the current system.

(http://www.buzzerbeater.com/community/fedoverview.aspx?fe...)
Keep your friend`s toast, and your enemy`s toaster.

This Post:
10407.22 in reply to 10407.11
Date: 12/26/2007 4:50:28 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Not really. On a jump shot, you jump, whereas on free throw, you stand flat footed.

normally, but you could jump because the rules didn't forbid it ;)

I have seen some professionell Players who maked jumps when they throw an freethrow.

But on the other way, free throws are different from shoots from the field because you could think about the shot, your pulse doesn't beat so fast etc.

BTW i got some worst FT shooter, who even hit around 50% of their free throws and i got some players with respectable-strong jumpshot + jump range who hit below 30% of their 3P shoots so i think the relation is still fine.

Edited by CrazyEye (12/26/2007 4:55:55 PM CET)

Last edited by CrazyEye at 12/26/2007 4:55:55 PM

This Post:
10407.23 in reply to 10407.22
Date: 12/27/2007 2:23:28 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
if you draw the line further...

any training should train almost every skill, since most training types will use a basketball, so balhandling for one should always be improved with any kind of training. Passing as well, since in practive players trow the ball to each other, no matter what the skill is that is being trained...
The skills often have are so related that you can't separate them in reality.
Therefor this is a game, and some un-realisticness should be implemented in order to keep it playable, and more important: fun!

I repeat myself: things running smoothly should not be touched. ;)

If I would get a team with stars, and only needed 1 season of training to make them legendary, I would quit instantly.

exhagerated example: when start playing age of empires you need to collect wood and food, and later on gold and stone.... I could imagine people saying, why don't we get more fund te start out with, preferably 1000 of each, it would be good to have more... but it would take away the fun, and the challenge to build up enough stock would it? (actually they have an option there that let's you start out with 1000 of each, just for those who aren't patient enough to gather their needs before getting into battle, but I hope everyone realises that you cannot have that option here, since if some choose the challenge, and others choose to have it all at once, there would be imbalance all over the place)

Slow and steady wins the race...

They are not your friends; they dispise you. I am the only one you can count on. Trust me.
This Post:
10407.24 in reply to 10407.23
Date: 12/27/2007 10:10:08 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I also wish there wasn't only team training for free throws. There are only certain players who I care about training.

Run of the Mill Canadian Manager
This Post:
10407.25 in reply to 10407.24
Date: 12/27/2007 10:18:34 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Training speed wouldn't be affected, so why wouldn't you want more players getting the training?

NO ONE at this table ordered a rum & Coke
Charles: Penn has some good people
A CT? Really?
Any two will do
Any three for me
Any four will score
Any five are live
This Post:
10407.26 in reply to 10407.25
Date: 12/28/2007 2:30:52 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Training speed wouldn't be affected, so why wouldn't you want more players getting the training?

That's what I'm saying. I would like a slightly faster free throw training for training a smaller number of players.

Run of the Mill Canadian Manager
This Post:
10407.27 in reply to 10407.26
Date: 12/28/2007 4:25:39 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
well, maybe BB could decide to add an 'individual training' to the existing training scedule, which lets you train 1 player separatly from the rest in a team training skill (free trow, stamina or form).

This fixes the problem of injured players having trouble finding their way back, and it gives you a change to let players catch up with the rest of the team 1 by 1.

Still I like the system we have now, and wouldn't mind if they left it untouched. ;)
(yes I'm hard to convice ;þ )

In any case, anything they add to what we have already would increase trainingspeed in some way (we would not ask for anything that does the opposite would we ;) ). They probably want to wait a while and see how the training they just tweaked goes before taking other steps...

So all, hold on to your suggestions, and once the time comes BB decides something needs to be done, fire away all suggestions at once. This way BB can nicely see all suggestions at once and pick the ones they like best.

They are not your friends; they dispise you. I am the only one you can count on. Trust me.
This Post:
10407.28 in reply to 10407.20
Date: 12/29/2007 9:11:19 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
well one principle is that things should only be as complicated as they need to be to make the game enjoyable. Although increasing the number of parameters makes the game more flexible it doesn't necessarily make it more enjoyable for the user, especially the new user. It certainly would have been more straight forward to program the other way. Personally I'm kind of on the fence about the issue, there is definitely a debate to be had about it from a game design perspective.

i think by allowing the new user to train any position any skill you will encourage more people to keep their starting players... as the starting rosters arent great you can at least try to round the skills of 3-4 of your starters to form the base of your starting team in your first season..(this also ties in nicely with not overusing the TL)

for more established players the benefits to me are obvious... you can create the players you want to suit your tactic selection without having to continuously play people out of position.....

the trade off between having to play players out of position in order for them to get training is ridiculous - also is it planned to give PF more options with SF ?? ive hardly ever played my best player in his default positon and the skill i want to train in Shot blocking and it is never effective to do this with the current options...

Edited by Superfly Guy (12/29/2007 9:12:06 PM CET)

Last edited by Superfly Guy at 12/29/2007 9:12:07 PM

This Post:
10407.29 in reply to 10407.28
Date: 7/21/2008 9:22:25 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I am accept with the idea and i also thought about that ..
so instead of debate , give me to summarize this thread ,

there no shooting in the world that have good jump shot and 40-50% 3PT but 0% from the free throw..
so ok have guards with 60-50% from the FT and also not a lot ..(interest of experience too)

but here in buzzer have guards with 11-15 JS and 1-2 from the line ..
that's not reasonable and not realistic ..and also not worthwhile to invest FT trains on big potentials like these ...

players with jump at this levels must be with minimum awful(3) in FT ..minimum.. but not 1-2 ..
it's good idea to put FT as secondary quality for JS/JR ...

thanks,
ofer .

This Post:
10407.30 in reply to 10407.29
Date: 7/22/2008 9:57:50 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
then let us suggest that JS can affect FT wahooooo

no more headache into thinking you need to train ft :D

This Post:
10407.31 in reply to 10407.30
Date: 7/24/2008 11:46:03 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I actually trained Ft for weeks, sacrificing other 'better' training, but I am pleased with the way it is now.
They should not give it away for free with a trainingtype that is prety popular because many like to train it that way.
If they would, I'd ask that when I train shot blocking, my playrs also must get jumpshot, since there obviously will be players who take them in order for the blockers to try to block them... no? And so we can all find a way of asking our favorite skills being implemented in our favorite training.

FT trains fast, and the whole teams trains. The sacrifice of the other training those weeks is well worth it. I say...keep it this way.

Advertisement