BB Global (English) > About the Draft

About the Draft

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
39242.21 in reply to 39242.20
Date: 7/17/2008 3:16:57 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Is anybody would prefer to see a lottery to determine draft order, you should go find the post that already was created about a Draft lottery and post in it in Suggestions.

Fixed.

;)

NO ONE at this table ordered a rum & Coke
Charles: Penn has some good people
A CT? Really?
Any two will do
Any three for me
Any four will score
Any five are live
This Post:
39242.22 in reply to 39242.19
Date: 7/17/2008 5:39:02 PM
Overall Posts Rated:

Plus, the you don't draft to strengthen your team, not in the short run at least. As a matter of fact, if you keep the pick you will likely weaken your team by having to play him.

Not necessarily true. I had the #1 pick, sold last year's backup SG for decent money, and even though my rookie hasn't caught up in shooting, he's alot more balanced than the pure shooter I had last season. The frustrating part is that the #2 pick ended up being better, averaging 20+ ppg as a starter and having the exact same potential with twice the dmi(they're both proficient gameshape).

If your draft pick is an upgrade over one of your players and your team is more than 2 seasons old, you have a problem.

True I guess, I'm in my second season and I think the #2 picking team is the same.

This Post:
39242.23 in reply to 39242.20
Date: 7/17/2008 9:54:11 PM
Olympus Team
IV.4
Overall Posts Rated:
The difference is that in NBA, all the teams know all the players that are in the Draft and the first spots are therefore very important to take the jewels.

Here, it depends also of how much money you have spent in your scouts. And you'll never have data on all the players, so there is always chances that you miss the best player even if you are the first to pick and spent a lot of money in scouting.

This Post:
39242.24 in reply to 39242.23
Date: 7/17/2008 11:20:09 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
true ture even if you went all the way there are players you wont be able to scout!

This Post:
39242.25 in reply to 39242.24
Date: 7/18/2008 2:53:27 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Yeah...
I'm not so sure I like this system. My feeling is, if you get first pick, and you spent everything you can spend on scouting, you should be able to make a pretty safe 1st pick. I'm not saying you should be able to see every skill on the kid, I'm only saying it's pretty much like guessing the way it is right now.
I feel people should be able to spend more and more on scouting and get more and more information. It could be tough on lower leagues than II, but if you're getting a good pick at III or IV that's probably the smallest of your problems.
Plus, higher leagues would possibly make more money and spend more money on scouting, which could reduce the gap between older and newer teams (I'm pretty sure there's a number of people here that thinks this gap shouldn't be reduced, rather than increased, still, I can't think different than it's easier to expand a game if new users have actually a chance to compete at the top level)
Don't know... would like to know what community thinks about it...

Oh, and this wasn't supposed to be directed specifically at you, CoolCat ;)

Last edited by LA-André at 7/18/2008 3:01:17 AM

This Post:
39242.26 in reply to 39242.23
Date: 7/18/2008 7:28:58 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
The difference is that in NBA, all the teams know all the players that are in the Draft and the first spots are therefore very important to take the jewels.

Not really. Everyone knows the top 5 or 10 players in the draft, but after that the picture is much less clear.

Do you think that NBA teams spend no money on scouting, and the information on scouting and the info on draft prospects is just manna from heaven?

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
This Post:
39242.27 in reply to 39242.26
Date: 7/18/2008 9:15:40 AM
Olympus Team
IV.4
Overall Posts Rated:
Well, in our case, even if you spend a lot of money, you are not sure to know the top 5 of the draft. It's a question of luck then. So I don't think we should add a lottery.

This Post:
39242.28 in reply to 39242.27
Date: 7/18/2008 9:21:20 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Well, in our case, even if you spend a lot of money, you are not sure to know the top 5 of the draft. It's a question of luck then. So I don't think we should add a lottery.

Well, theoretically speaking having a lottery should decrease the incentive to throw games, since having the poorest record doesn't guarantee you the top spot.

On the other hand, the gap in talent between the top players in BB drafts is less than in an actual NBA draft, so it's not really fair to compare the two.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."