Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
677.25 in reply to 677.24
Date: 9/20/2007 2:33:49 AM
1986 Celtics
IV.21
Overall Posts Rated:
to add another voice... i really don't mind if you tell us that the matchviewer bores you to tears... I think we do need to have options for people who want to see play by play faster than realtime... it is in the long list of things to fix.

as for not fixing that bug... i think we actually have been trying to fix that bug.. and have gone through 3 interations of doing so. We haven't done a great job publicizing our attempts because we try soemthing, it doesn't work, try something else, doesn't work.. etc ...etc. We have now come up with I think our 3rd solution to this problem, are pretty sure it has resolved it... but only time will tell. We can test things, but we have come to the point in the game that the bugs we are having aren't things that happen across games, and often don't happen predictably. There are really were an incredibly small fraction of games that bug affected we believe... and we appreciate all the noise you make about them because it helps us track the problem down.

We are all hoping with the recent additions in staff that we will really start being able to improve things on a faster time scale than we have the last couple months.

This Post:
677.26 in reply to 677.25
Date: 9/20/2007 2:43:25 AM
1986 Celtics
IV.21
Overall Posts Rated:
and for is the boxscore enough to know "why" you won or lost...as the architect of the game engine I'd say that there are different levels of understanding... on some level "why" is cause you didn't score as many points as the other team.

On a second level you can break down why you didn't score points into two elements. One, how many looks did i get? Two, how much did i score per look? Basically all the info to answer those basic questions are in the box score.

Finally, there is a question of whether the answers to both those questions were really uniform over time.. and obviously they aren't and you need to see the information broken down in time to tease that apart. Particularly if you are trying to see how large an impact individual players.. say player X's poorer defense, affected those variables you want to know how you did when he was in the game.. and particularly how well the guy did against him vs against the other people who were guarding him. Its this kind of detailed analysis that I imagine some smart user who is given access to a play by play type data structure to be able to do....but all users can sort of do it just by seeing where in the game there were big swings and what was going on there.

This Post:
677.27 in reply to 677.26
Date: 9/20/2007 2:46:44 AM
1986 Celtics
IV.21
Overall Posts Rated:
one more thought.. the data to make a text based form is not that bad.. but to store it all in text format would be. The matchviewer takes all the essential data and parses it and adds some contextual flavor text. You can imagine writing a decoder like the matchviewer that does the same job.

This wouldn't be a trivial project for our staffing right now.. but i think should be a long term goal.

This Post:
677.28 in reply to 677.25
Date: 9/20/2007 8:03:22 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
While we are brainstorming match viewer ideas it'd be sweet if there was a chatroom style message window beneath the gameviewer for everyone watching a particular live game. Being able to talk to your opposing coach as the game unfolds would be awesome. (I appreciate this would be non-trivial to implement and may well not be practical server-load wise, just throwing it out there in case its easier than I think it is.

This Post:
677.29 in reply to 677.28
Date: 9/20/2007 2:20:08 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Along those lines, are there any plans to let us watch more than one game at a time? I guess the page would have to render differently (maybe 3 games max, just box scores show and update for each team), but I think it would be a cool addition down the road.

This Post:
677.30 in reply to 677.29
Date: 9/20/2007 3:57:16 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
The match viewer is resource intensive as it is, so it will probably be a bit difficult.

This Post:
677.31 in reply to 677.30
Date: 9/20/2007 7:08:35 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Being able to see the match without knowing the score before hand is all I would like to see.

This Post:
677.33 in reply to 677.27
Date: 9/20/2007 8:47:39 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
one more thought.. the data to make a text based form is not that bad.. but to store it all in text format would be. The matchviewer takes all the essential data and parses it and adds some contextual flavor text. You can imagine writing a decoder like the matchviewer that does the same job.

This wouldn't be a trivial project for our staffing right now.. but i think should be a long term goal.

I just want to say that I think this would be cool.

This Post:
677.34 in reply to 677.27
Date: 9/21/2007 9:54:31 PM
Myopic Marauders
III.8
Overall Posts Rated:
Would a possible compromise on the play by play issue be to textually output the time and event that caused a change of possesion? e.g.

12:00 Teams A inbounds ball
11:50 Player X steals ball
11:39 Player Q travels
11:20 Player A hits of a jump shot assisted by Player C.

Getting rid of the passing and dribbling and just cut to the important parts

Advertisement