Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
203921.256 in reply to 203921.255
Date: 6/13/2012 7:05:37 PM
Kitakyushu
ASL
Overall Posts Rated:
I know, I read that. but that was posted on the 8th and now it is the 14th. It seems like the site is down down...

This Post:
203921.262 in reply to 203921.261
Date: 6/14/2012 8:50:02 PM
Kitakyushu
ASL
Overall Posts Rated:
isn't this how the demise of BB Stats started?

This Post:
203921.263 in reply to 203921.261
Date: 6/14/2012 9:04:22 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
You all have such little faith! We're back!

Our host kicked us because the analysis scripts take up too much CPU space (we exceeded 20% CPU usage over 1000 times! would have been nice if they had warned me, though). But, I've gotten all the data out, and have us set up with a new host: (http://training.bb-usa.net). (Yes, it's linked from a sub-domain of the version of this that I run for the bb usa community, but rest assured it points to a completely separate host). All of your previous updates should be copied from the old site.

I *think* that I've got everything rolled over and updated to work on the new site, but I'm sure that I'm missing some things, so please let me know. For now, I have temporarily taken down access to the old analysis pages. This is temporary until I can find a way to get them to run without using so much CPU usage, so we don't get kick off again. Likely this will involve doing some caching so that it doesn't have to get all the data on the fly every time someone loads the page.

In order to send data to the new site, you need to update your greasemonkey script!. You can get the new version here: (http://training.bb-usa.net/add_bb-training.user.js) (it's also linked from the main page).

To make up for it, I've added a new analysis page. It's the result of some off-line analysis I've done of the data, so doesn't tax the CPU by fetching all the data every time you load the page. The analysis tries to estimate for every training type how fast it trains each skill as a function of the player height (for the age specified). Ideally, this is the ultimate analysis: everything you need to know about each training type. Of course, as with everything, it's limited by the quality of the data, so if you see things (and there are a bunch) that don't make sense, remember that they might be wrong! Especially for the less common training types, some of the effects (especially the estimates of how height affects training speed) could be quite far off, but for many of them, I think we're pretty close.

The new analysis is linked from the "analysis" page, so take a look. I'll work on getting the other analysis pages up as soon as possible, but I wanted to at least get the rest of the site up so people can continue sending data. And if you find anything else broken after the move, please let me know here.

This Post:
203921.265 in reply to 203921.263
Date: 6/15/2012 2:48:23 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
That's great news, man! I really like your page. About the errors:

Of course, as with everything, it's limited by the quality of the data, so if you see things (and there are a bunch) that don't make sense, remember that they might be wrong! Especially for the less common training types, some of the effects (especially the estimates of how height affects training speed) could be quite far off, but for many of them, I think we're pretty close.

This will probably recalibrate itself with more data, right? Because right now, if you choose "Passing" for PG and 22 years, PA actually increases with height.

EDIT: Or maybe...hm. Small 22y oldl PGs probably train slower because their PA is already high. Meanwhile, tall 22y olds might train faster in PA because their PA is lower, and elastic effect from HA and DR kicks in. I mean, if a 216cm player is training PA, he probably has DR and HA higher than PA, right?

Last edited by Koperboy at 6/15/2012 2:53:05 AM

Advertisement