Non-BB Global (English) > NBA Free Agents

NBA Free Agents

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
144194.29 in reply to 144194.28
Date: 7/5/2010 9:00:31 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Sure they'll make the playoffs but they're not going to get anywhere.

So i guess it comes down to what is better?
Letting Joe Johnson go if he doesn't accept a "reasonable" contract to stay in Atlanta and maybe having a mediocre season or two but having the freedom to make long term improvements.

OR

Locking JJ in to a crippling max contract which means that the team won't be able to make any significant improvements and won't be more than a first or second round playoff team at best for the next 5 years or so.

This Post:
144194.30 in reply to 144194.29
Date: 7/5/2010 9:53:08 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
They where in mediocrity for 8 years without PO. They start to built some good reputation, being constant PO team. How you will be able to recruit someone if your talent is poor? its not like they are Chicago or NY (large markets). NBA is not only about to be a champion but also a business too.

This Post:
144194.31 in reply to 144194.30
Date: 7/5/2010 5:03:30 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Yes,but this is a very bad business for Atlanta.They should let someone do an offer to JJ,and then decide if draw the offert or let him go.After the bad playoffs he make,I doubt that any team would offer him more than 15 M in a year(only because this market is crazy,his value si around 10-12 M x year)...they decide to give him 20 M pfor year..

This Post:
144194.32 in reply to 144194.31
Date: 7/5/2010 5:37:41 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
If you have equal proposal, to go on contender or stay in Atlanta what would you chose? You need a motive to stay there. Whats that? $

This Post:
144194.33 in reply to 144194.32
Date: 7/5/2010 5:47:18 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
None of the contenders has the space to offer him a 15M x year contract.No one.The best offer he could receive,except for Atlanta,would be from the Knicks,that are a team in a worse situation than the Hawks last year...maybe the Bulls would give him an offer,but I don't think they would offer him more than a contract similar to Deng's contract

Last edited by Steve Karenn at 7/5/2010 5:47:32 PM

This Post:
144194.34 in reply to 144194.32
Date: 7/6/2010 1:30:46 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
oh comeon johnnyB . . . do you mean that josh smith and horford arent consider to be stars in the nba?

maybe what your trying to say is how does the hawks appeal to other players, but as i said . . . it all depends on the hawks on how they would work this out.

things like flexibility, to be more competitive after few years. the hawks arent a win now team so still i dont get why that offer be given. there are other players out there that could have more value at 15 million or less.

also the problem with what the hawks and nyk did with amare they set a standard already. imagine would bosh, wade and lebron get less money than those 2 wherein the 3 are far more superior than others. ok amare with injury issues compare to bosh who is healthy, plus any player who played with nash and flourish usually have a liability when seperated with nash . . . marion with the suns just look at the ft% and when he was with the miami and dallas should i say more.

the thing is the hawks are a pg away from it all, i dont think mike bibby can solve their concerns at the pg spot.

the fact is that we might have seen what the hwaks has at best . . . they decided to go on with it even though hurting themselves in the long run.

Message deleted

This Post:
144194.36 in reply to 144194.34
Date: 7/6/2010 2:05:24 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Josh and Al, are not stars, at least in my eyes. Great players but not stars. Great complimentary pieces. None of those 2 can be a go to scorer.

Hawks made several huge mistakes on the past, especially on the draft. Taking Marvin over Paul and Derron. Taking Shelden at 5. Signing JJ, overpaid, but i dont consider it as one of there mistakes. What i am saying is that i can understand why they did it. If you remember, when he left from the Suns, everyone was saying that they overpaid. Well he earned every cent of his contract.

Take to the account that even if they have very solid team, nobody of the high covered FA, mentioned Hawks as one of his probable destinations. So who they could sign with 15 or less?

Ive seen much much worse deals this summer than JJ's. Gooden for 32M, Maggetes trade, the Amares deal, (low BBIQ, player with injury concerns, who doesnt play lick of D), last seasons pistons signings (Gordon, Charlie V).

A good article that pretty much says what i am thinking: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/ian_thomsen...

Last edited by JohnnyB at 7/6/2010 2:10:00 AM

This Post:
144194.37 in reply to 144194.36
Date: 7/6/2010 10:34:19 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
We agree that JJ contract isn't the biggest mistake of the market,but surely is a bad move.Atlanta wasn't a destination for this year free agents,because the Hawks are over the luxury tax,so they can only re-sign their players,or use MLE or other exceptions to sign FA,not because anyonw want to play there

JJ was searching for the money,but if the Hawks draw the offers of some other team,they could however save much money

And I think Amare's deal is a good move for NYK,they yet have Lee and Gallo for their frontcourt,but lack power under the baskets,and Stat is the the only among the top free agent who can play at C.Signing Bosh or Booz with Lee,would not cover this lack,that NYK have from Ewing's years.

Now they need to find someone for the back-up,if they didn't lose so much time wooing Lebron,they could be in pole position for Wade,and a lineup with a decent play-Wade-Gallo-Lee-Stat would be fantastic,with a defensive big man to put in to cover the Lee and Stat's defensive lacks

Last edited by Steve Karenn at 7/6/2010 10:35:35 AM

This Post:
144194.38 in reply to 144194.36
Date: 7/6/2010 12:46:05 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
thats your own opinion . . . im not trying to prove you wrong or what , im not also starting any arguement.

i understand your point, but what makes the decision of signing JJ with that much money as not a mistake as well as drafting marvin and shelden ? i do believe they pick the 2 because they work on a plan or how the team will be complimented with this 2 players.

yes . . . you are right! atlanta is not being heard from FA you know why? even before the start of players can be sign the news is out that the hawks wants JJ back! and looking at it almost all GM's of other teams know the hawks will do everything they can for jj to stay.

next is did the hawks or have you read the hawks even try calling out? or set up meetings with players? if i am a FA with the caliber of amare, bosh or wade . . . when i read or hear that the hwaks want badly JJ to stay and knowing they dont have much money to pay would i even bother saying i wish i can go to the hawks? wherein its not even clear how much money i can be paid . . would it be different if a hawk representative called my agent or even knock on my door step or even gave me plane tockets to go to atlanta for a sale pitch?

FA presently never rode the idea of going to what team he likes but to what team showed interest in them and try to sell them of signing with them. thats why its called free agency!

This Post:
144194.39 in reply to 144194.37
Date: 7/6/2010 1:42:45 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
With Amare Lee is already out. They want 2 max FA, so Lee cant me resigned.

Advertisement