I like the current training system

Set priority
Show messages by
Message deleted

This Post:
278223.32 in reply to 278223.29
Date: 4/6/2016 9:41:27 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
yes its true, you don't really play out of position to train, but you learn something. Anyways, I just wanted to show that it is not per se unusual that a multiskilled player like lebron plays out of position. whereas the examples mentioned in this threat (Howard, Shaq) would never play outside of their position in this game as they do not in reallife basketball.
But I agree that the difference is the inention, which is not training most of the time. But let us get away from the "is it a good simulation?" topic.

I understand BB-Ryan and others argument, that training has a balancing effect. If you are at the top, you cant really train, and if you are at the bottom you can train and benefit from it (money, good players, etc.). I find it intuitively reasonable, but as we see, it has a severe side effect. people compete in the top leagues, just to tank and train as soon as they don't see a chance for further success. I think that is a huge disadvantage that follows from this idea i described above.

Another is, that we have a lot of top league managers, compared to lower leagues. So in some countries you can't really train at all. This is because of micronations. and maybe this might be a thing of the past someday.

And another thing one should think about when talking training and especially if we consider the idea from above: if we want players to train in order to gain from the benefits, get money and players etc. and then at some point be competitive, until the players get old and you have to train again. We demand that new managers play this game without beeing really competitive (on a low level) for a few seasons and we demand that they have to play weird lineups, where they cant even see how well their trainee would perform on his position etc.. I play in a private league and nothing is better in this game than seeing my 26 year old SF play his natural position every friday, so I can see how good he really is.
I think that this is something that is really demanding of new managers.

Thats why I think it has to be a little easier on them, and players should not play "too far out of position" and not 48minutes/game one time a week, but just like normal starters. even if I understand the initial idea of using training as balancing.

Last edited by jonte at 4/6/2016 9:42:13 PM

This Post:
278223.34 in reply to 278223.32
Date: 4/7/2016 3:39:03 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
yes its true, you don't really play out of position to train, but you learn something.

You gain experience, no skills.

In this game you could turn a Manute Bol type player into Steve Nash, after playing him as PG for like 10 seasons. I know for BB, realism is no requirement in this regard, but it should be. Fans would revolt, staff would be fired and the player would quit because of sheer frustration.

I think some individual XP gaining system would be cool, where players unlock skills after reaching certain XP milestones -

Random numbers: each minute played is 1 XP point. 18 year olds can trade 20 points for 1 skillup, the older the player the more skillpoints are necessary.

That way all players could gain some training, older players progress much slower and at a certain point they can't develop further. Every player could play the position suited best for his skillset/size.

Training in the real world possibly focuses on tactics, so maybe we could expand this area too.

Größter Knecht aller Zeiten aka His Excellency aka President for Life aka Field Marshal Al Hadji aka Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas aka aka Conqueror of the Buzzerbeater Empire in Europe in General and Austria in Particular
This Post:
278223.36 in reply to 278223.35
Date: 4/7/2016 6:13:33 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I had ideas about tying experience to skill pops/elastics/CT as well.
One thing to consider is the difficulty of coding it and if there are other simpler fixes available.

nonetheless I like some of those ideas...options are always good.

Making some milestones visible might cater the younger generation, those players are used to such short term goals - this could keep the spirits high, despite the huge gap between new and old teams.

Größter Knecht aller Zeiten aka His Excellency aka President for Life aka Field Marshal Al Hadji aka Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas aka aka Conqueror of the Buzzerbeater Empire in Europe in General and Austria in Particular
This Post:
278223.38 in reply to 278223.37
Date: 4/7/2016 10:42:57 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Well in that case, we need to get rid of the good-better-best-supergood-very superbetter-extremely supercalifragilisticexpialigetic grading system and switch to numbers. I have no problem with that, I know there are users who would quit instanteniosly if any change would happen.

On the other hand, the decay of old washed up bums would be much more visible too...

Advertisement