This Post:
325139.3 in reply to 325139.2
Date: 9/17/2024 11:30:03 PM
Las Vegas Red Pandas
III.13
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Washington River Otters
It’s funny, because the Great 8 was 8-56 against the Big 8 last season. The Big 8 lost its powerhouse, but overall looks a little deeper than last season. The Great 8 probably added $300k in salary just by replacing the relegated teams with you guys though. Going to be competitive for sure!

This Post:
325139.4 in reply to 325139.3
Date: 9/18/2024 11:38:19 AM
Linndale
III.13
Overall Posts Rated:
It’s funny, because the Great 8 was 8-56 against the Big 8 last season.

That's gonna have to change. Gonna have to try and 4 wins against the Big 8 myself. And since I'm putting a target on my back...

*looks at new rival, and rest of Great 8*

Going to be competitive for sure!

Agreed. Season goals (for now): beat Nanooks of the North and make playoffs. Early prediction: a playoff worthy team in the Great 8 will not make the playoffs.

This Post:
325139.5 in reply to 325139.4
Date: 9/18/2024 11:55:12 AM
Linndale
III.13
Overall Posts Rated:
Is anyone planning to do any league write-ups or anything like that? I try to be active, and I try to chronicle what I imagine is going on with my team.

My (current) cast of characters include:

Coaching staff: Pio Reina - head coach
Byron Helm – assistant head coach/defense/big men
Marshall Richards – assistant coach wings/offense/defense
Air Allnite – assistant coach guards/shooting/ball security
Roberto Gurgone – General Manager

Announce team: Happy Ourer – tv play by play guy,
Joshua Doe - tv color guy/analyst
Sam Dunkley - tv analyst/contributor to The Basketball Times
Jimmy Buckitts – beat reporter/sideline reporterfor tv/radio broadcasts

and of course, the players on my roster.

This Post:
325139.6 in reply to 325139.5
Date: 9/18/2024 2:59:28 PM
The Dachshunds
III.13
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
The Dachshunds II
I was just posing the simple buzzer-manager recaps for a time but got tired. Feel free to write what you like, the more active the league the better!

To: Zoey
This Post:
325139.7 in reply to 325139.6
Date: 9/18/2024 5:28:29 PM
Linndale
III.13
Overall Posts Rated:
I'll have those posted no later than 24 hours after the games are done. Usually the same night; we'll see how the real life job cooperates. It shouldn't be a problem most of the time.

This Post:
325139.8 in reply to 325139.7
Date: 9/18/2024 5:51:03 PM
Linndale
III.13
Overall Posts Rated:
Linndale GM Roberto Gurgone looks at the trophy case in the team complex.

“I know what you’re thinking,” head coach Pio Reina said to his longtime friend and teammate. “Enjoy it, but don’t dwell on it. We still have work to do.”

“Yeah,” Roberto replied. “We still haven’t won a thing in Division III. I suppose we ought to get down to business. Let me guess, Byron has the bigs, Marshall has the wings, Air has the guards, and we’re getting the entire squad. No rookie meeting?”

“Not this year. Time for men to be men and leaders to lead. We’re going to find out which of our veterans can lead. It’s time for some guys to show up or grow up…”

At a local restaurant in a private dining room…

Happy Ourer sat at a table with his colleagues Joshua Doe, Jimmy Buckitts, and Sam Dunkley. “Alright,” Happy said, “Jimmy, what do you see from the bigs?”

“Happy, the team upgraded the center position, but we don’t know what it actually looks like yet. Renato Corro was ineligible for the playoffs. The team grabbed him with an eye towards this season. This move puts a target on the back of Ondrej Lecian. He needs to starting showing up and showing out. Rookie Duane Carlson is a non factor. Pere Vendrell should continue the strong development path he was on once he was acquired. I think he forces his way into a prominent role. Gian-Luca Twaruschek is the guy to watch. He or Vendrell should anchor the second unit, likely with Rafet Ozver, who should not be slept on. Linndale is deeper up front than they ever have been. We all know what Joy Beko brings to the table. This is as deep a group as we’ve seen in Linndale top to bottom.”

On the practice courts…
Byron Helms looked at the group. “Team assignments on the board. Rookies sub in for whichever team calls you, so pay attention. If you guys aren’t in shape we’ll find that out fast. Full court, first team to 100 wins, myself, coach Allnite, and coach Richards will call the fouls. Point guards, run your squads...

At the restaurant…

“Joshua,” asked Happy, “you can’t be serious about that, can you?”

Joshua calmly spoke. “Happy, I said what I said. This is the best and deepest roster I’ve ever seen here, but there are some serious concerns here. Inside offense is a concern. Who is that guy that has to be stopped? Who’s starting with Beko? Corro makes the most sense, but I suspect it’s a contest between Ozver, Twaruschek, and Vendrell. This season has to be about Linndale fundamentals; defense, rebounding, and ball security. We’re going to have to outwork everyone, and don’t get me started on the shooting!”

On the practice courts…

“Well Marshall, Pio is in midseason form.” Byron was amused.

“Think we ought to step in and be the voice of reason,” asked Marshall.

“Nope. We’re gonna have to ride this group hard, Marshall. I got 7 bigs. I‘m gonna have to lean on 2 and make the others force their way into our plans. They have to.”

“Well, I got 4 wings. I might need to borrow a couple of your guys on occasion. Looking in the backcourt, I don’t know that Frias will be made available to me this season, and Air is gonna have to use Kops and Bodura a lot. Gonna need to get Uzek more court time somehow. Ultimately, everyone is going to have to step it up. Even us coaches.”

Air Allnite walked over to Marshall and Byron. “Marshall, we’ll talk who’s available and where with Pio. Byron, expect the same deal as last season. Staff meeting after practice, boys.”

Last edited by Speedtraps at 9/19/2024 12:41:28 AM

This Post:
325139.9 in reply to 325139.8
Date: 9/21/2024 7:27:10 AM
Linndale
III.13
Overall Posts Rated:
Happy Ourer: Welcome one and all to Linndale’s return to D3 basketball! We’re gonna jump right in and go straight to Joshua Doe! Joshua, we’re coming in hot! What does Pio Reina’s squad have to do get the win tonight?

Joshua Doe: Make it ugly and lean on depth. Get Eternityz Rostah into foul trouble early and make them play short handed. They don’t have numbers, but they are supremely talented. Hope that the age on the roster shows, and not the experience. You’re not going to run them out of the gym and you’re not going to bully them. Keep it close and let the chips fall where they may. The bigs are going to have to show up, and not just one of them. It’s going to take all of them, but Linndale has some talent and depth up front. Sam?

Sam Dunkley: I don’t disagree, but you have to slow down Toru Mizoguchi as well. Asking that Linndale defense to slow the Rostah attack down is going to tell us a lot about how far the defense has improved. Offensively, Linndale has been consistenly inconsistent, never able to put it all together for a full game or multiple games.

HO: Sam, Joshua, let’s go down courtside to see what Jimmy Buckitts has to say. Jimmy, where do you weigh in on this?

Jimmy Buckitts: Linndale shed their most explosive scoring threat because he didn’t play defense well enough. Pio Reina demands that from his teams. This is a proven, championship caliber defense. To have a shot at an upset, he’s going to have to throw caution to the wind and see what happens. He might have to sacrifice defense in some spots to get some offense on the floor. Linndale always defends the floor at the expense of offense. What does it look like for them to make the opposition defend the floor? What’s the best offensive unit the can put on the floor? We need to see that.

JD: I played with Pio Reina. So did two of his assistants, Marshall Richards and Byron Helms. Sacrifice defense?!? I know those men. I battled with those men. Sacrificing defense is not in him. But Jimmy is wrong on one point. This is a D4 championship defense. That defense isn’t going to be good enough to win a D3 championship. Pio knows that, too.

HO: Joshua has a point there. We’re going to see how this defense holds up.

SD: Jimmy, are you hearing anything about who’s playing tonight?

JB: Sam, I spoke with associate head coach Byron Helms, and he states the obvious. The rookies, second year man Luis Isarre, and Ercan Uzek are inactive for tonight’s game.

SD: That sounds like they’re going to try and pound it inside.

JB: Pio is on record as stating they want three ball handlers on the floor at the same time at all times. He’s never clarified what that means or who those ball handlers are.

JD: Come on, Jimmy! We know who the ball handlers are!

SD: And we know who the scorers are. We’re going to get a decent read on how far the offense has come. If Pio Reina and his staff hasn’t fixed the offense, he’d better make sure it’s on its way or this will be a long season.

JB: The shooters are going to have to make shots. I’m not sure they will be able to.

HO: Score predictions?

JD: I have faith in Pio to keep it close. Rostah 102 Linndale 97

SD: I don’t. Rostah 120 Linndale 89.

JB: Linndale 111 Rostah 108.

HO: And I’m picking Rostah 115 Linndale 104. Jimmy's the only one picking a Linndale win, and Joshua isn't picking a win but is picking a close game. We'll be back after the break with a look around the league.