BuzzerBeater Forums

Suggestions > Too many quality big men....possible solution!

Too many quality big men....possible solution!

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
11925.30 in reply to 11925.26
Date: 1/18/2008 2:55:38 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I think it is very complex.

wether or not a shot goes in or not is a calculation that takes (as far as I read and experienced) into accoutn the following factors:

do you play CT or TIE
Does your opponent play CT or TIE
your shot taking players shotskill
his direct defender's defense skill
the total team offense rating of the shottaker
total defense rating of defending team
Stamina of shottaker
(possibly stamina of defending player)
probably a (small) random factor (otherwise the result would always be the same)
your offensive tactics (but it probably is already into the team ratings)
his defensive tactics (probably already into his teamratings)
quality of shot taken (also depending on experience, chosen tactics and shotklock time, previously taken shots, maybe even standings at the time...)

Now look at all these factors and imagine the possibilities of diffrent combinations...
Add some other factors I might have forgotten to mention, or which we do not know about...

Now try to define what % a given player should score in any average game...

Impossible, I'd think, because even though his factors might stay the same, many other factors can vary much. If you play a same team twice is it possible to score 3pointers at 50% while the next game, with the same players and the same stamina, the same tactics, everyting is the same, as far as you can see, you will not be able to score 10% ? ...
I believe this is possible.
why? Simply because he decided to CT against you...

They are not your friends; they dispise you. I am the only one you can count on. Trust me.
This Post:
11925.31 in reply to 11925.29
Date: 1/18/2008 6:20:19 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I already expressed my opinion.

virtually all the players in the game are weak defenders. when a decent post man shoots over a poor post defender, he scores (think howard dunking on boykins for added comic effect). when a decent perimeter guy shoots over a poor perimeter defender, there's still a good chance of error. this may explain discrepancies in fg% between big men and guards. moreover, perimeter defenders have it even easier, since many (if not all) the jumpshooters in the game couldn't drive the lane to save their life. even if you suck at D, if you're free to concentrate on a single aspect of your opponent's offense (since the other one does no harm) you'll still manage to hinder him quite a bit, hence the gap.

I agree with the level assessment someone did a few posts ago — the current level on BB is that of low-tier college ball, or top-level highschool ball. the best players in the game are still 19yo, after all, so they have at least five-six full seasons of productive training before reaching "maturity". hell, they'd be barely eligible for early entry in the draft.

now, having said that, Forrest and Charles continuously do extensive testing of the game engine, running custom-tailored games (or even re-running controversial games). I can't exclude that actually one day they find out that yeah, percentages are slightly off (even if I don't think so). should that happen, we will of course announce the relevant changes well in advance, as we always do.

Edited by BB-Domenico (18/01/2008 3.16.34 CET)

Okay...that's a legit answer. However, it that case, its not strictly relative.

We will see how the game develops -- I've been impressed so far. I'm sure the BB's will make necessary adjustments when necessary.

Steve