BB Global (English) > Inflation

Inflation

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
268316.32 in reply to 268316.15
Date: 3/22/2015 12:42:04 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
There is currently 470 players with a current bid (or starting bid) at 5000$ or less. People are still selling low end players.

Lots of good comments since I read this thread yesterday. Forgive me for going back to page 2 to respond to the comment above. I think this is important for illustration.

Perpete is correct. When I did this same search, I found 475 players with a bid of $5000 or less. But let's consider the following scenario:

I just got my new team today. I see a roster of "scrubs." My best players earn $3000 to $4000 a week. The new owner checklist wants me to go buy a player on the TL. OK. If I'm going to buy a player, I'm going to buy a better player than the scrubs I already have. So, I search for players who have a maximum bid of $5000 and a minimum salary of $5000. What do I find? Of the 475 players who have a maximum bid of $5000, only 73 have a salary of at least $5000. That means of Perpete's 470 players, more than 80 percent are players that aren't going to make any team better ... at least not right now. Also, I've read the game manual and I've learned that at age 34 players begin to lose their abilities. Crap, I don't want no old guy who's not going be as good at the end of the season as he is now, so I add a maximum age of 33 to my search. What do I get then? 22 players with a minimum salary of $5000, under the age of 34 and with a low bid.

And you are signing up some 200 new owners every week and this is what they have to choose from?

Now granted, you don't have to be so cheap when shopping for players. So, let's change our maximum bid to $100,000. New owners certainly can buy at least one player for that amount of money and still have enough left to start building the arena, pay for scouting, buy other players, etc. I still want a $5000-a-week player and I still want a player who won't start dropping in skill after I sign him so still a maximum of 33 years old. And the total is ... 107.

Again, you're signing up some 200 new owners every week and there aren't enough players on the market for all of them to be able to complete the dang checklist ... unless you expect them to sign some old fogey or some crappy player that is no better than the scrubs you handed them on their original roster. Any wonder why new owners don't stick around for long?

All of the other debate aside, the only reason this situation exists is the rule that excludes low-salaried free agents from entering the market.

Now, I'm going to propose a solution. I understand that BB wants to protect trainers, wants to ensure that they get a decent return on investment for training young players. However, eliminating all free agents whose salary falls below some arbitrary number has had an adverse effect on mid- and low-level teams. It has created a shortage of players on the TL and consequently has caused prices to skyrocket for players who are on the market in those salary ranges.

Rather than using a salary model for exclusion, I propose BB should consider an age model for exclusion. Exclude any player from a Bot team between the ages of 18 and 21 from entering the TL. That gives trainers up to four seasons to train and sell for a profit. Any player from a Bot team that is age 22 and up should be placed on the TL under the normal rules (minimum bid 10x weekly salary). What this will do will ease the player shortage at the low end of the salary scale and still provide some protection for trainers. Further, the influx of players will ease the inflation at those lower salary ranges. And finally, I believe this approach will lead to a greater retention of new owners as they find it easier to complete the checklist :)

This Post:
268316.33 in reply to 268316.30
Date: 3/22/2015 12:50:06 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Wait... are you suggesting that CONSUMERS may have an inkling of responsibility for the market? GASP

This Post:
268316.35 in reply to 268316.34
Date: 3/22/2015 2:48:59 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
If this was a basketball simulation then what happens in games would be what was the thing that only matters. However we're playing a basketball management simulation where we take the role of managers of a basketball club. Hence training becomes important as it made so that it is an important part of the game.
Luckily we are not forced to do anything as building our arena or training players. But it sure helps to do both.
Actually, training isn't an option, it is the only option. No one said anything is "bad about training lower potential players." Except, of course, for observations about how illogical training is currently set up (left over from the similarly illogical training in Hattrick). Maybe fixing that would make forced training a little more palatable.

Here are more important points:
So let's not kid ourselves here, the amount of FA and the price of the FA is not up to the market, but to the individual choice and preference of the BBs.
You just refuse to acknowledge that those players already exist. Assuming the number of managers is constant, any time an old manager is replaced by a new one, you delete the players of the old manager (no FA) and you replace trained guys with untrained old players (who are worthless because they are usually bad and untrainable). So the new manager looks at the TL to find decent players he could use at his level, but guess what? There isn't any because the old team's players have all been deleted. Every time you replace an old team with a new one and eliminate players you are depleting the overall talent pool in the whole game.
You not only resist correcting the player market by adjusting the FA basement, you drain the game of players w/o replacing them. Steps in the right direction are resisted while steps in the wrong direction persist.

It's always raining somewhere…
… and no matter how much I like this game, I am smart enough to come in out of the rain. I’m smart enough not to waste my time butting heads against a stacked deck.

Here’s another guy who gets it:
However, eliminating all free agents whose salary falls below some arbitrary number has had an adverse effect on mid- and low-level teams. It has created a shortage of players on the TL and consequently has caused prices to skyrocket for players who are on the market in those salary ranges.

This Post:
268316.36 in reply to 268316.35
Date: 3/22/2015 5:56:57 PM
Mountain Eagles
III.1
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Ric Flair Drippers
I 've been reading this thread the last few days. Since its talking about training, I might as well jump in the conversation.

When I started in season 19, I gone on a spending spree in order to make my team better. Yea, ultimately it was a bad idea but I can tell you prices were lower back then. Now to the run stuff.

I think training is vital to a team's success. Sure, some managers don't think training is great and all, but it does help your team to some extent. Last season I kept my 3rd round allstar drafted. I have trained him only for a little bit. but he already has 11 ID. I think training is beyond just looking at potential and saying "allstar, he sucks!" for the new crew of managers. I teach about a dozen guys who I got from another online site to play BB. Of those teams, only 3 has a MVP+ player that they are training. 2 other teams have USA U21 prospects on their team, and one has a Romanian U21 Star that he has trained on his team (20 yrs old at that too)

I taught them about training and such, and now they are all excelling, 2 of them are against ea h other fighting for promotion. Others are in the playoffs in their respective division. Now, if they didn't have a trainee, I can say that their teams would not be where th ey are now. Of course, a mentor helps, but even I got the hung of training for a short bit by just reading the manual.

The thing is most newbies don't want to read the manual because it is "boring" or "too log to read" and I can agree to that. It took my half a season to finally take my time to read it myself. We have one on one mentoring help on the help forum, and in the USA off-site. But.still there are teams leaving. Wonder why? Because in their starting teams they got a complete trash roster. Now, it helps GREATLY if you sign up right before the draft. But to the select people who didn't catch the draft time? They are stuck.

Now, I like what another person has said about implementing 22-25 year olds into FA. I have a suggestion myself...how about an expansion draft? It could only hold maximum salary of 8,000 and then it holds players ages 21-26. This gives new guys the chance to get at least someone to help their team win.

I personally think training provides a team at least 2 players in their starting 5 while they are saving cash for their stud free agent. There is a team in USA owned by fruity cakes. He has never made it out of d4. Wondeer why? He never takes the effort to train a player. If he had trained just one decent guy he would be in the right direction. Training may not be fun in some cases, but it's a highway to the right road. But what can I say? I'm tanking and I bought a trainee for 2.1 million bucks and he has only had 2 pops all year....

3 Time NBBA Champion. Certified Trainer. Mentor. Have any questions? Feel free to shoot me a BB-Mail!
This Post:
268316.37 in reply to 268316.36
Date: 3/22/2015 6:45:36 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I bought a trainee for 2.1 million bucks and he has only had 2 pops all year....

Good endorsement of training .... but this thread is about "inflation." (with that term being misapplied)

This Post:
268316.38 in reply to 268316.37
Date: 3/22/2015 8:32:17 PM
Mountain Eagles
III.1
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Ric Flair Drippers
Training effects inflation in a big way though. More players being trained, would equal more player s to choose from in the TL. Some guys still "daytrade" trainees with as potential. Some make a good profit, others don't. Some go on to keep getting trained, while others stay at their skillsets.

If people took more hand to training that would cool down these absurd prices. Back in the day a 50k guard cost only 500k. Now they cost 800k-a mil. Makes me just want to train one myself (already am training one.) And I know that you can make agood 40k.to 50k guard with AS potential. Could even make some noise in some d3 USA leagues.

If you train at the start, you can make some nice bench players as well for your team. 15k all you need for a good d3 bench.

Last edited by tough at 3/22/2015 8:34:38 PM

3 Time NBBA Champion. Certified Trainer. Mentor. Have any questions? Feel free to shoot me a BB-Mail!

This Post:
268316.41 in reply to 268316.40
Date: 3/22/2015 9:47:52 PM
Mountain Eagles
III.1
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Ric Flair Drippers
Now, wasn't talking training being negative or anything. I'm just saying training all types of players. Some guys are screwed in training a MVP early in their bb life. Now that is all fine and well, but I personally wouldn't have paid 500k+ for a Mvp while I could easily get a PAS for 100k or a AS for 75k.

The way people train guys is different because of the new era. Back in the day, it was run and gun. Then around season 12 (right?) LI was born. High IS-ID-RB guys were the trend. Now as we are moving towards seasons 32 and beyond, the new trend is guys wih great secondaries. The fact is not the amount of monoskilled guys being built, but the amount of secondary and salary efficient guys being built. Since there are very few of these guys being built, they go for a ton of cash. Like you said, 600 are fully trained well. But how many would people actually want to sell? The select few that are put on the TL are high priced and expensive, thus making inflation.

Yea, the amount of users is making inflation worse but. hopefully utopia can get us out of the problem that they started with their managers finishing out the product that is their trainees.

This Post:
268316.42 in reply to 268316.31
Date: 3/23/2015 5:40:18 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
So, just to be clear, when people say "are you going to do anything about inflation" and the BBs say no and do nothing insted, that's "fixing by overdoing"? I hadn't realized (or is it realised?) that. Funny how different the language became on this side of the pond.
I'm not referring to 'do nothing and leave things as they are' when I say overdoing. This is what will happen: BBs say they like inflation and that the market is not out of control. People will keep complaining on forums with very logical arguments. BBs will change something else, because they love high prices, but will need to do something, and that will create additional problems (like when they changed the way the haircut on a transfer price is calculated or like it may well happen if they get the JR change wrong like they did OD). Another example or a change which yielded unexpected negative effects is the tax against daytrading. We are already seeing that this tax has a negative impact on the whole market as people refrain from listing players or fire them.

Last edited by Lemonshine at 3/23/2015 6:21:09 AM

Advertisement