Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
197980.33 in reply to 197980.32
Date: 10/10/2011 4:15:37 PM
New York Chunks
II.2
Overall Posts Rated:
Let's have a spontaneous protest that turns into a weeks-long movement!

Occupy Buzzer Beater!

Which reminds me of the time, back when I was living in the warehouse district, if you could call that living, which is what you're barely doing when all you have to eat is raw dried beans because the water would turn your skin orange, not that I have anything against orange-skinned people, and anyway, I sort of remember between all of the monotony and days that seemed like dreams or maybe it was dreams that seemed like days that these kids came by and just sort sort of crashed out, not exactly kids, but you know what I mean, and nobody asked them to come by and they wouldn't go away, and so I showed one of them, the one whose skin was already turning orange, how to leave because I thought he forgot how to leave, and when I was showing him, I left, just like that, and I haven't been back there since. I sort of miss those beans, you know?

Don't ask what sort of Chunks they are, you probably don't want to know. Blowing Chunks since Season 4!
This Post:
197980.34 in reply to 197980.30
Date: 10/16/2011 7:41:37 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Very interesting article from NY-Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/12/sports/basketball/owner...

So, salary cap or luxury tax? As far as I know, none of these are used in BB. This has to change!

Last edited by ezlife at 10/16/2011 7:57:43 AM

This Post:
197980.35 in reply to 197980.34
Date: 10/16/2011 7:56:26 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I plused 1 that.

That was a darn good read!

This Post:
197980.37 in reply to 197980.34
Date: 10/16/2011 8:09:35 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
As far as I know, none of these are used in BB.

In BB we have luxury tax. It's hidden but it exists. Formula of salary isn't linear and it works practically in the same way as luxury tax. If player has 3 primary skills higher by one level then his salary increases to 150% and it's huge difference.

This Post:
197980.38 in reply to 197980.37
Date: 10/26/2011 8:51:13 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
To me, i think its simple.

Every league has TV money. You hire a player make more that 25% of the TV money, you should be force to sign that player to a contract of X weeks.

Every player you hire making more than that should require a contract of X+1 week.

you buy 5 players making more than the decided amount, you are force to keep them at least 4 weeks.

The game has got to limit roster moves and/or punish selling starters.

its downright too easy to sell integral players in this game.

Somebody let me a hold a no. 2 pencil cause they testin' me.
This Post:
197980.39 in reply to 197980.38
Date: 10/27/2011 8:57:58 AM
Kitakyushu
ASL
Overall Posts Rated:
We already have a salary floor why not add a ceiling.?..make it 900K. If you go over it, for example..a team has a 950K roster..the 50K that he is over should be distributed to the other teams in the league.
I also think all the home grown talent's salary should be only counted as half. For example..you have a 120K PG from your country, only 60K would count against the ceiling. Very easy stuff...

This Post:
197980.40 in reply to 197980.39
Date: 10/27/2011 2:20:52 PM
New York Chunks
II.2
Overall Posts Rated:
I used to have issues with the money discrepancies between the older and newer teams, but I don’t think it’s as big a deal as it used to be. Once upon a time it was real easy to make money in this game for those who liked to day trade and before salaries got as high as they are now. What would happen is that those managers would be sitting on a pile of cash and promote to the top leagues with higher revenues from selling out their arenas at top league ticket prices, and newer teams who didn’t have a big pile of cash or large arena or value from big-time players on their roster really struggled to crack to the top leagues and stay there. I think things are a bit different now, at least from what I’ve experienced in the USA, with the lower leagues fielding more competitive teams who actually can stick in a higher league after promoting, since day trading is much more difficult now, the best players who are more necessary than ever for fielding a competitive team in top leagues come with high salaries, and arenas cap off at a certain size that limits revenue. The reason why I don’t think a salary cap or luxury tax is necessary is because the factors that affect revenue are the same for all teams, and even wealthy teams can no longer maintain huge payrolls for more than a season or two before having to break their rosters apart since a team can only run a deficit for so long. If there are teams that are running away with huge profits every season while maintaining a huge payroll, then the problem is more about things like TV revenue (equal for all teams in a league) and ticket revenue, which are controllable from a game development standpoint. Some managers are just more successful than others at things like finding great value players and stacking a roster, day trading under current TL rules, timing player purchases and sales, strategizing to keep a team winning, etc. I think implementing a salary cap would drastically alter the game to the point where the goals are less about timing how you spend your money and more about which top teams can field the most efficient roster at the salary cap, which is what all the top teams would end up trying to do. I’d rather let the market decide what is the right amount to cap a team’s spending before income losses become intolerable. Believe, I spent the last two seasons (unsuccessfully) running a deficit trying to power my team to wins, but the spending was too much and I’m scaling back. That’s the market we have set up, and it results in a wide variety of strategies. My experience over the years has shown me that wise spending wins out over overwhelming spending most of the time over the long haul. Sure, the system can always use some monitoring, analysis and the occasional smart tinkering, but I think in the big picture letting the market determine a “wise cap” makes the game more of a strategic challenge.

Don't ask what sort of Chunks they are, you probably don't want to know. Blowing Chunks since Season 4!
This Post:
197980.41 in reply to 197980.1
Date: 10/29/2011 8:18:23 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
too complicated. think of the newer users. and it's not at all necessary since an owner's available finances are determined solely by gate receipts, merch, and TV contract. this suggestion treats the symptom and not the cause