BuzzerBeater Forums

BB Global (English) > Lebron Effect (35 years)

Lebron Effect (35 years)

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
324190.34 in reply to 324190.33
Date: 6/16/2024 1:18:09 PM
Mill City Thunder
II.2
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
The Jarvihans
I think that the real motive for this change is getting lost in all of the uproar about the lack of notice.

Increasing the skill drop age to 35 makes every player more valuable. It is a little unintuitive, but I think this will actually cause transfer list prices to go down (or at least cause them to increase at a slower rate). My reasoning is that the supply of good, non-deteriorating players in the entire game will increase with this change, most prominently for D1-caliber players. Long-term, increased supply with constant demand should apply pressure on prices to decrease.

Anecdotally, it feels like the TL has had a lot of price inflation over the last 5+ seasons. Certain player archetypes are going for exorbitant amounts that are hard for most managers to afford. I actually think this change is an easy and elegant way to combat TL price inflation. Just because a change is simple and didn't require much engineering effort does not mean the ramifications weren't thought through and that it won't have a beneficial impact

[Side note: I'm curious if others agree with my perspective that TL price inflation has been rampant the last few seasons. I'd be VERY interested in getting my hands on a dataset that we could use to actually analyze this theory...]

This Post:
324190.35 in reply to 324190.34
Date: 6/16/2024 8:24:07 PM
Delaware 87ers
II.3
Overall Posts Rated:
The TL price issue is a result of the poorly thought out autobid feature more than the age issue, IMO. Autobid, predictably, has caused prices on certain kinds of build to skyrocket. Another unmentioned cause was the bump that 19yo draftees got. That, combined with autobid, has had the side effect of also sending prices high level trainers through the roof more so than they already were.

Personally, I prefer to train my own players so anything that lengthens their peak is a win in my book. However, that doesn't mean it is necessarily a good idea.

Also, there is far too much in the way of official sounding discussions that occur on discord, which not every manager has or is on. For the good of the game that needs to stop. Immediately.

This Post:
324190.36 in reply to 324190.35
Date: 6/17/2024 11:41:36 AM
Corntucky Mildcats
III.3
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Winchester Crows
Take it from an old Marine Corps vet who worked in media. Communication is critical.

And in 2024, expectations for how developers communicate with their player base has changed dramatically from 2008.

Personally, I don't enjoy roadmaps or a player base dictating the meta. Mostly because players are selfish. It's human nature to think about yourself first, so I get it, but most players don't think past that stage. They don't stop and use the full power of their brain to think big picture. Also, the players will never see the code nor any backend stats, so what they want will never truly be "well-informed".

With thousands of players, ANY change is going to have a negative impact on at least a portion of the base. That's the reality of playing games. You, the gamer, agree to those unspoken terms the second you begin playing. This is true for any game. Sometimes a nerf helps you, other times, it doesn't. Oh well. Move on.

It's also why I never chase any meta, ever.

It feels like the BB team (who I think we all appreciate) has taken a position of being mysterious. Letting us ruminate for months/years about what "might be happening" with the game code. I actually like this approach, because if we knew everything, I promise you, the game would become boring and far too homogenous. And a game this slowly paced really needs mystery.

But, there has to be a middle ground in 2024. Especially if the goal is to grow the user base and keep the old guard content (which I bet it is).

If they explained why they did it last minute, AND how they expect it to impact Micro Nations or the Transfer Market, I bet people would be less upset. If this truly was last minute, I am worried. You cannot, I repeat, cannot make impulsive decisions with a game as long-term as this one. It creates unease in the userbase that permeates.

The BB team should really consider having a sit down about their philosophical approach to communication. If you aren't getting new users, and your old users are frustrated, then whatever it is you are doing is NOT working. That is just the cold, hard reality of the matter.

Here's an example:

"more modern" "more passing"

"We believe the GE is the most balanced it's ever been."

2 seasons later...

"We have a plan where we're going but we can't make big jumps with GE, lessons were learned about that years ago."

If it's balanced, then where ARE we going?

Can we have a vague idea about the plan? We are all making plans too.

---In regards to the forums vs Discord, Discord is so damn awesome and ez. I just can't blame anyone for using it over our ancient BB forums. Nearly every game out there has a more active discord than active official-forum.

Also, final zinger...

Why not just make "The Lebron Effect" a lvl 3 H&C bonus??? And announce it'll start next season.

Then, with no major season announcement, they could have provided some statistical insight into how their changes have affected things. Giving the entire user base a smidge more insight, thereby making them a smidge happier.

BOOM.

This Post:
324190.38 in reply to 324190.37
Date: 6/17/2024 3:07:26 PM
Carpathian Bears
Magyar Kosárlabda Liga
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Carpathian Cubs
More info will be shared soon.

Now I think you've got many manager's attention

This Post:
324190.39 in reply to 324190.37
Date: 6/17/2024 9:39:21 PM
Corntucky Mildcats
III.3
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Winchester Crows
Thanks!

I do appreciate you guys. I have been in situations where you will have naysayers no matter what you do. I know it's hard, nuanced work sometimes.

Message deleted