Suggestions > Minor Suggestions

Minor Suggestions (thread closed)

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
3910.351 in reply to 3910.350
Date: 8/29/2008 4:01:09 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Maybe would be better that we have salary caps for each league level.
And second thing,for example if someone has earnings more than 5 millions at season then buzzerbeater federation can take as tax all money over this sum.
Or maybe to put in transfers max price for player, so all money offered over it will be taken by buzzerbeater federation. But seems it is not so good idea.

And money what we are getting from cup matches are too small, we have no interest to play that competition, specially if we know that can't win.
It's better to play friendlies and train young players.

This Post:
3910.352 in reply to 3910.350
Date: 8/29/2008 5:54:21 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I have read in the discussion between you and Zazen is that he is asking for a bit more tactical diversity and you are all saying it has enough.

He is asking, in particular, for being able to set lineup for each individual quarter. I don't see much tactical depth in that, I see a lot of unnecessary micromanagement.

This game is not just about setting the lineup for games. As a matter of fact, one can argue that it's not even mostly about setting the lineup. Owning a better players is a critical component of the game, since it is a manager game and not arcade basketball.

You can also argue that we're get even better tactical side by allowing people to manage their in-game decision live while the game is in progress, but there is a reason why this isn't implemented and likely won't ever be.

Not just the lineup, tactics as well. Coaching is a crucial factor in successfully managing a basketball team. You can have the best players in the world, but without proper coaching, you're not going to get very far. There should be equally as much of a coaching element in BuzzerBeater as there is the trading aspect.

We should be able to set each player's tendencies in games as well, such as defensive pressure (Normal, Tight, Loose), crashing boards (Low, Medium, High), etc.

There should be more offensive and defensive options, like Box and 1, Full-court/Half-court Trap, Triangle, etc.

Setting the percentage of each player's touches and isolation plays. Which players should pick and roll. I would even add more skills for each player, like Athleticism, Footwork, Steals.

This Post:
3910.353 in reply to 3910.352
Date: 8/29/2008 6:15:14 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Coaching is a crucial factor in successfully managing a basketball team. You can have the best players in the world, but without proper coaching, you're not going to get very far.

You are not the team's coach. You're the team's manager, which means someone else is down there by the bench who might be taking some instruction from you but ultimately makes his own decisions. I must say I am pleasantly surprised by how well the AI coaching works in this game.

We should be able to set each player's tendencies in games as well, such as defensive pressure (Normal, Tight, Loose), crashing boards (Low, Medium, High), etc.

Actually that's exactly what you shouldn't do. I've played a game like that before, and I cannot stress enough how annoying setting the line-ups is. As a matter of fact, I quit when I figured out I can't be bothered to spend time setting 5 different parameters for each of my 12 players before every game.

Plus, there are other things to consider here: first, players already adjust their behavior according to game situations: foul trouble, for example. I don't think it would be too realistic or indeed useful for gameplay to treat your players as pawns who do your bidding each and every time.

There should be more offensive and defensive options, like Box and 1, Full-court/Half-court Trap, Triangle, etc.

Sure, go ahead and code them My understanding is that offensive and defensive tactics right now mostly affect team ratings and shot selection (except for FCP, which gives you an extra chance for an easy basket). The tactics you suggest are expected to influence the individual behavior of players, which likely requires a new game engine. I don't think this is happening any time soon.

Setting the percentage of each player's touches and isolation plays. Which players should pick and roll. I would even add more skills for each player, like Athleticism, Footwork, Steals.

Most of these terms have no meaning in the current game engine. As for new skills, since there is a finite number of skills per player in the game, you can't describe everything, so something is bound to be left out. The current skill system already does a good job of describing a player's abilities, I don't think expansion is necessary. Especially having in mind that it's already somewhat difficult to compare the strength of the different skill sets (read: a bit too many skills per player).

In conclusion, one of the major assets of online games is having a wide user base; moreover, most of the said user base should have a good grasp of the game, otherwise we might as well play with bots. My experience tells me there are 2 major factors helping to achieve this: the game shouldn't be too simple, because game play is dull; and it shouldn't be too complex, because game play is annoying.

I am not sure where BB fits in my little scale, and while changes and improvements will always be possible, what you suggest is not necessarily a step in the right direction.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
Message deleted
This Post:
3910.355 in reply to 3910.353
Date: 8/29/2008 7:19:52 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
You are not the team's coach. You're the team's manager, which means someone else is down there by the bench who might be taking some instruction from you but ultimately makes his own decisions. I must say I am pleasantly surprised by how well the AI coaching works in this game.

Then why are we setting lineups and tactics? Those are coach duties. As far as I'm concerned, we're the general manager and coach. If not, then remove the ability to set tactics and lineups and introduce the hiring of coaches with various skillsets, much like players. I doubt many people would want that.

Actually that's exactly what you shouldn't do. I've played a game like that before, and I cannot stress enough how annoying setting the line-ups is. As a matter of fact, I quit when I figured out I can't be bothered to spend time setting 5 different parameters for each of my 12 players before every game.

So you like spending time buying and selling players, but don't enjoy learning how to properly utilize them? Why don't we just make this a daytrading game then? Even in Pokemon, if you catch a powerful Pokemon, you still have direct them in combat.

Plus, there are other things to consider here: first, players already adjust their behavior according to game situations: foul trouble, for example. I don't think it would be too realistic or indeed useful for gameplay to treat your players as pawns who do your bidding each and every time.

No, you would give them basic guidelines on how to perform during games, just like coaches assign specific roles to each of their players on the team IRL. Players would still think on their own, but more tendency variables could be tweaked.

Most of these terms have no meaning in the current game engine. As for new skills, since there is a finite number of skills per player in the game, you can't describe everything, so something is bound to be left out. The current skill system already does a good job of describing a player's abilities, I don't think expansion is necessary. Especially having in mind that it's already somewhat difficult to compare the strength of the different skill sets (read: a bit too many skills per player).

Difficult? I don't find it difficult at all. In fact, I find it quite effortless to assess a player's strength and/or compare them with others.

My experience tells me there are 2 major factors helping to achieve this: the game shouldn't be too simple, because game play is dull; and it shouldn't be too complex, because game play is annoying.

I think temporary "annoyance" is a small price to pay for depth in the long run. I think everyone gets a little annoyed when they're forced to use their brains, but that's ultimately what keeps players interested - the challenge.

This Post:
3910.356 in reply to 3910.354
Date: 8/29/2008 7:25:11 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Then why are we setting lineups and tactics? Those are coach duties. As far as I'm concerned, we're the general manager and coach. If not, then remove the ability to set tactics and lineups and introduce the hiring of coaches with various skillsets, much like players. I doubt many people would want that.

You're giving instructions to the coach because, quite obviously, you're his boss. If you give him particularly poor instructions, the coach actually adjusts the tactics somewhat during the game according to the opposition's strength.

So you like spending time buying and selling players, but enjoy learning how to properly utilize them? Why don't we just make this a daytrading game then?

I like spending time on building up my roster, which includes setting a training regime, deciding when to sell and what to buy, and choosing the lineup for each game.

I don't like spending time on micro-managing every single game or each individual player because, quite frankly, this shouldn't be necessary. I understand you'd like to twist this argument towards me being an evil (day)trader, but that's not going to fly.

Difficult? I don't find it difficult at all. In fact, I find it quite effortless to assess a player's strength and/or compare them with others.

So can you absolutely effortlessly say which one is better (all other skills being equal), a SF with DR 9, HN 9, js 10 and is 10, or a SF with DR 10, HN 10, JS 9 and IS 9? How about one with DR 10, HN 9, JS 9, and IS 10? I am sure you can quite 'effortlessly' say they're about the same, except that's not really useful.

I think temporary "annoyance" is a small price to pay for depth in the long run. I think everyone gets a little annoyed when they're forced to use their brains, but that's ultimately what keeps players interested - the challenge.

Except the annoyance is not temporary, and there is necessarily challenging in a game with generally unnecessary depth.

Since I've gone through all of my arguments at least twice and with relative lucidity, I plan to stop spamming this thread.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

This Post:
3910.357 in reply to 3910.351
Date: 8/29/2008 8:00:12 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Maybe would be better that we have salary caps for each league level.

i think this would be ugly with training, because they could raise salaries pretty fast above the cap.

And second thing,for example if someone has earnings more than 5 millions at season then buzzerbeater federation can take as tax all money over this sum.

if they earn it, then they earn it ;)

Why ppunishmendt some one for beeing good.

Or maybe to put in transfers max price for player, so all money offered over it will be taken by buzzerbeater federation. But seems it is not so good idea.

i agrree to you ;)

And money what we are getting from cup matches are too small, we have no interest to play that competition, specially if we know that can't win.

agree, 25k Bucks ain't worth to talk about, today cup is good to play tie and maybe to give extra training in the ASD-Week

This Post:
3910.358 in reply to 3910.356
Date: 8/31/2008 10:24:33 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I like spending time on building up my roster, which includes setting a training regime, deciding when to sell and what to buy, and choosing the lineup for each game.

I don't like spending time on micro-managing every single game or each individual player because, quite frankly, this shouldn't be necessary. I understand you'd like to twist this argument towards me being an evil (day)trader, but that's not going to fly.

You don't speak for everyone. You might not think it's not necessary to make tactical adjustments, study your opponents and critically evaluate how your team should be constructed, rotated and approach each game, but I think it's one of the more engaging aspects of BuzzerBeater. Perhaps you simply enjoy the business side of managing a basketball team more than the simulation of being an actual General Manager/Coaching staff.

To: Vos
This Post:
3910.359 in reply to 3910.358
Date: 9/1/2008 1:06:31 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
chill mate!

everyone has their own approach to this game, either which reflects what is more important to that person who manages that team.

truth is there is no such as thing as the right way, they are a lot of approaches we can do, the matter is what is the goal or perspective of one person in handling his team.

its just a matter of getting there fast or slow.

one who enjoys the business side enables one to well manage their team money, which reflects he might not be the dominant team now, before or later. either he win or lose games because of this still might be in the future could lead to good purchase of players or bigger arena or so forth. also it gves him more room to move.

remember no money playing this game also is hard you just cant do anything.

now doing tactical adjustment, etc and etc is another way of managing a team with this you are more hands on on the things you can control its not a formula to success but it gives you more options to make your team ready for its coming games. with this approach you are more aware of things on your team, your strenghts and weaknesses such that you know where to patch the holes and so on! also let you reflect on your economy too.

im just sharing my thoughts :D

This Post:
3910.360 in reply to 3910.359
Date: 9/5/2008 1:07:08 AM
Hellions Dog
IV.18
Overall Posts Rated:
Is it possible to maybe get a scouting report on a team before you play them? Also I wouldn't mind being able to change tactics at halftime.

This Post:
3910.361 in reply to 3910.360
Date: 9/6/2008 9:21:30 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Um, a quick suggestion, and I am sorry if it has already been suggested, but could you move the "more" information screen lower or pop up under the gameplay screen so that we can watch both of those. I was unable to see the game and look at how they were playing at the same time, and I thought it would be more interesting to see it with the numbers.

Advertisement