BuzzerBeater Forums

Suggestions > Time to increase tournament winnngs?

Time to increase tournament winnngs?

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
115562.4 in reply to 115562.1
Date: 10/15/2009 2:34:37 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Don't forget that you only get extra merch. revenue for league leaders. Cup games don't matter. So that's again another incentive to play your best players in league games.

Run of the Mill Canadian Manager
This Post:
115562.7 in reply to 115562.5
Date: 10/15/2009 7:29:56 PM
Overall Posts Rated:

Except that merchandising revenue also depends upon happy fans, and tournament success is one of the factors in making your fans happy.

Not sure what your point is since league success is also a factor in the fan survey?

Message deleted
This Post:
115562.9 in reply to 115562.7
Date: 10/16/2009 3:11:10 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
if you loose a cup game you can not correct this fault ;)

And you get pretty decent survey for the cup, for league you could even with one hard lose get a "normal" rating.

This Post:
115562.10 in reply to 115562.9
Date: 10/16/2009 8:48:07 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
if you loose a cup game you can not correct this fault ;)

You have to also wait a long time to correct a loss in a TV game or a game against a rival... And a full season to correct how you did last season. In my experience, you have to go pretty deep in the cup to get a good cup rating. By then, the season is half over anyways. And it gets reset again by the end of the season.

In short, the cup game is only 1 element in a pretty long fan survey. Also, the new merch changes did not change the fan survey. All they did was make league games more important.

This Post:
115562.11 in reply to 115562.10
Date: 10/16/2009 9:12:04 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
here you are right, that it is tuff at least for us to get a good cup rating, but till now i have an 3-3.5 ball rating there if i flew out i would have 1 Ball - and normally your rooster should be enough for two games if you had a rival, a tv and a hard cup game the decision is really hard but with view on merchandise in the other weeks i would go for the cup.

And maybe the cup is a bit more in favour for the small teams, because for them the 50k are a big extra income, you get up the survey faster etc.

For the premier league of a country where you earn over 200k a week, the benefit are small but in my eyes this is failure and not the cup income.

This Post:
115562.12 in reply to 115562.11
Date: 10/16/2009 10:39:37 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I am with you to some extent. Often I can win the cup game without having to make too many sacrifices. However, if you are in a tough league you eventually have to make some choices. And in that case, if you want to do what is optimal for your team then bowing out of the cup is the correct option. The gate income and the fan survey benefits are much greater for winning league games than for winning cup games.

I'm still missing how winning cup games gets your survey up faster? The fastest way to get your survey up is to beat your rival in a TV game - like I did earlier this season. Winning league games is also a good one, as it improves your season performance and also how you did in your last game. Winning a cup game gives you maybe 1 extra ball in one category, if you are lucky.

Even for a low division team the result is not worth it. Take Canada for example. A division III team might want to crunch a division II team in the 1st or 2nd round to advance further. But they are pretty much screwed the next week, unless they draw a bot.

Of course, as the original poster said, there is some prestige for going far in the cup which is maybe one reason not to play optimally. I would even buy the enthusiasm angle. But I just don't see a monetary argument here.

This Post:
115562.13 in reply to 115562.12
Date: 10/16/2009 10:59:11 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I am with you to some extent. Often I can win the cup game without having to make too many sacrifices. However, if you are in a tough league you eventually have to make some choices. And in that case, if you want to do what is optimal for your team then bowing out of the cup is the correct option. The gate income and the fan survey benefits are much greater for winning league games than for winning cup games.

mmh for single games i go for cup, sometimes a loss inmake a big difference(top 2 places, or 6 and worser) Sometimes you are happy to fall from three, four or fith place to the sixth ... But in most cases you land on the ame place, and additional cup game also could give you an advantage for the next league game because you maybe can tie in the next round again.

And overall, a third or fourth division team double their income with one of this game, and maybe had to give up a small chanche to win away ... It gives many sitution where it makes sense to go for cup, instead of league.

For us in the first division where the cup bonus, is the difference betwenn visior income with a succesfull or unsuccesful game befor it is small ... But this is also in reality, the cup isn't that attractive for the big team, then for the small. In germany the first league, isn't participating in the cup since this season and the top 6 teams and the team who organize the new cup is now playing a league Cup instead. In many other european countrys there are similiar cup systems, because the cup was unactractive for the top teams.

I'm still missing how winning cup games gets your survey up faster?

i said, that the point go up faster in low divisions because they don't struggle half of the tournament with three balls ;)

he fastest way to get your survey up is to beat your rival in a TV game

which are only 5 games in the season, if i counted right ... In some cases even less - and sometimes also those games are easy or nearly impossible.

Even for a low division team the result is not worth it. Take Canada for example. A division III team might want to crunch a division II team in the 1st or 2nd round to advance further. But they are pretty much screwed the next week, unless they draw a bot.

i saw this costolation often, and often they get the turn ... Even after my crunch this season, i manage to win some games after it - i had to give up one single match because of it.

To: RiP
This Post:
115562.14 in reply to 115562.1
Date: 10/16/2009 11:43:24 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
i now ask for the weekly income of some mates of me(the same order like in your country but i won't translate them):

Spielergehälter: $ 200 085 Zuschauer: $ 198 845
Personalgehälter: $ 71 659 Werbung: $ 27 159
Scout - Ausgaben: $ 5 000 TV-Vertrag: $ 74 223
Total: $ 276 744 Total: $ 300 227
durchschnittliches wöchentliches Einkommen: $ 23 483

a strong third division Team(not superior), if you think that he can get 50k extra each week without putting lot more money into the rooster i think it is attractive.

A weak IIIrd division team:

Spielergehälter: $ 113 739 Zuschauer: $ 145 916
Personalgehälter: $ 53 349 Werbung: $ 31 156
Scout - Ausgaben: $ 10 000 TV-Vertrag: $ 74 706
Total: $ 177 088 Total: $ 251 778
durchschnittliches wöchentliches Einkommen: $ 74 690

50k are still a lot for him

One german 2 division team i know makes +50k a weak, so he could double up his income with cup.

But i think your income it more like mine:

Spielergehälter: $ 470 236 Zuschauer: $ 503 577
Personalgehälter: $ 74 971 Werbung: $ 110 003
Scout - Ausgaben: $ 5 000 TV-Vertrag: $ 141 255
Total: $ 550 207 Total: $ 754 835
durchschnittliches wöchentliches Einkommen: $ 204 628

and here the cup income is really less challenging, especially because i get the income of the home game around 570k if i win the league match before ... But in my league there are still 11 teams in cup, and three of them are eleminated in direct duells(playing with top lineups) and a fourth against a top team of the second league in a away match also playing with their first team - so i don't see that we don't take the cup seriously.

Advertisement