BuzzerBeater Forums

BB Global (English) > Who's the greatest Manager of all-time??

Who's the greatest Manager of all-time??

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
264689.40 in reply to 264689.35
Date: 11/3/2014 11:13:08 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I'd like someone to explain why managing the NT and winning D1 titles is not easier than just manage a top division team. I've already argued that people should be removed (not added) points in the discussion for best manager if they were managing the NT when they won D1 or B3 titles, as managing the NT does give a substantial advantages compared to the rest of the field.
Wait, what? I don't see the correlation. What are you suggesting, that NT managers just put their own guys on the team? And they purposely screw other D1 members out of merchandise money? Cause I can see how that would give a small benefit, but I also don't see how that manager lasts for more than 2 seasons. And I can't see how that argument affects any NT manager that won world's gold. Rwystyrk should be penalized for winning a D1 title because he also won a worlds gold as a NT manager?

This Post:
264689.41 in reply to 264689.39
Date: 11/3/2014 11:27:02 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
If you don't understand the advantages a NT manager has compared to the other 15 D1 managers in his nation and even B3 competitors who are not NT managers then I won't go any further.
Yeah, if you could just outline some of these, that'd be great. I'm having trouble gaining an advantage on my D1 opponents, so I'd appreciate any help I can get.

This Post:
264689.42 in reply to 264689.41
Date: 11/3/2014 11:41:14 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
If you don't understand the advantages a NT manager has compared to the other 15 D1 managers in his nation and even B3 competitors who are not NT managers then I won't go any further.
Yeah, if you could just outline some of these, that'd be great. I'm having trouble gaining an advantage on my D1 opponents, so I'd appreciate any help I can get.

A) All things being equal (i.e. if the skills are similar or not substantially different) the manager can field a player rather than another (even among the ones selected for the roster). I'm really intrigued of the chaos which will follow the removal of blanks/LCD at the NT level to see the full extent of this problem. At any rate the merch income from NT players is vital everywhere in order to compete for titles, as you can afford more expensive rosters.
B) The NT manager (and some of the assistants) has access to the skills of all the major players in his Nation (which means he knows the skills of some of the key players his direct opponents own)
C) The NT manager is able to know in advance if players are going to be put on the TL (at worst they will know as soon as they are on the TL, in case they are doing a very poor job and they have no idea of what is going on with their players). This allows them to 'prepare' for the upcoming auctions

Now if you please, if you have any rational reason why a NT manager does not have an advantage vs other top managers in their countries (if they are all competing for the title), please do fire away.

Last edited by Lemonshine at 11/3/2014 12:36:20 PM

This Post:
264689.43 in reply to 264689.40
Date: 11/3/2014 11:51:48 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Rwystyrk should be penalized for winning a D1 title because he also won a worlds gold as a NT manager?
No, the gold is obviously a great achievement, but for the D1 titles it should be considered that he managed the NT for over 10 seasons and that gave him a significant advantage. Unless someone can confirm he didn't have nor bought any NT prospect/player during his tenure.

This Post:
264689.44 in reply to 264689.42
Date: 11/3/2014 12:48:13 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
NT managers have direct access to all types of elite builds and get a better understanding of how the ME works with each of those builds applied to different tactics.
It's definitely an advantage at club level.
Long term NT managers have the above, plus builds built to their requirements and experiments. Rwstwyk is actually the best example of this. I don't think he is one of the greatest club managers, but he's one of BBs great experimenters.

Last edited by Elmacca at 11/3/2014 12:51:39 PM

This Post:
264689.45 in reply to 264689.39
Date: 11/3/2014 1:23:25 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
That's actually a great idea with the points system.

This Post:
264689.46 in reply to 264689.39
Date: 11/3/2014 1:29:49 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Let's get a top ten using your points system then we argue to move someone up one the list, down on the list, or moved on to the list.

This Post:
264689.47 in reply to 264689.39
Date: 11/3/2014 1:35:20 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I'll do some research and post another thread

This Post:
264689.48 in reply to 264689.42
Date: 11/3/2014 2:26:10 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Damn. I was hoping I could get some useful tips. You seem to be operating under the assumption that an NT manager makes all the decisions by himself, and has zero accountability or transparency. I know this isn't the case at all for the US, and I'm fairly sure it's not the case for most of the top teams in the world.

A: There's almost never two players that are so equal that this happens. Even if skills are equal, some players are training, some managers are better at game shape management, etc. Your top reason assumes that some players are equally good for the final selection spots, they both will receive equal training, and their managers are equally reliable for game management. And then you assume that the NT manager happens to have 1 of these guys. Or you assume that he chooses his own player despite the guy being a worse choice, and no one holds him accountable.

Most importantly, if the NT manager ends up winning gold, it's a pretty difficult argument that he took a suboptimal selection to benefit himself.

B: Correct! I know the skills of the major US players in the NBBA. Except, uh, so does everyone else. If the NT manager went around adding all the players of his opponents just to check their skills, don't you think they'd be annoyed? Don't you think they would vote for someone else the next election? If a player is close to selection, everyone knows his skills anyway. I don't have any more info than anyone else in the NBBA can get.

C: I'm doing a terrible job. I somehow haven't been able to force managers to tell me when they're selling players. Winning worlds gold was good, but I could do better by reading the minds of other managers to I know when players are going to be listed. I also don't see how I get an advantage here, how does this help me win a D1 title? You're assuming here that a D1 competitor wants to purchase a certain type of player, but they, for some reason, aren't prepared for it. They'll never be prepared to purchase anyone if that's the case.

Look - if you abuse the privilege of being NT manager, you can certainly get a small benefit. But you won't get elected again. This isn't a systemic problem, and definitely not a problem with managers like rwystyrk, or any others that you're considering knocking accomplishments from because they were NT managers. I know it's not easier to win D1 titles as NT manager because if it was, NT elections would be flooded with D1 candidates. And they're not.

This Post:
264689.49 in reply to 264689.44
Date: 11/3/2014 2:34:15 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
This doesn't make any sense to me. NT managers get to know how different builds work with different tactics? Should we also start docking people who play in private leagues? You get to experiment with your own team! We should also start docking people with utopia teams, because they get to test more builds with more tactics too.

And just so you're aware, you just called a B3 winner and 12 time Czech D1 winner "not one of the greatest club managers."

This Post:
264689.50 in reply to 264689.49
Date: 11/3/2014 2:37:54 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
And just so you're aware, you just called a B3 winner and 12 time Czech D1 winner "not one of the greatest club managers."

To be fair, he's never won the NBBA title so clearly he's not as good a manager as, say, Hassan Donnelly.

Advertisement