BuzzerBeater Forums

BB Global (English) > Let's Get BB Publicized!

Let's Get BB Publicized!

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
96748.41 in reply to 96748.40
Date: 9/19/2009 10:40:50 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
So I'm slightly biased here, because my actual job is to sell advertising for one of the major online networks, but that also gives me a unique perspective on the subject of growing this game. I spend a great deal of time focused on two things in my life, how to make my online clients profitable and how to win at Buzzerbeater.

I came in off of a banner advertisement on RealGM.com. Before BB I would spend time as a "GM" of one of the NBA squads and run their Trade Checker, non stop.

I would increase the online presence to all basketball related sites that allow advertisements in their forum area. This gives the game the best chance of being introduce to a loyal audience. The forums typically have the highest face time per session. We can help to do this "virally" by chatting up Buzzerbeater in our local forums. This creates a buzz about the game and the brand itself. I realize there is a cost to buying ad space, but this is where most of us spend our time (outside of BB of course).

I don't use Twitter very often but this is a great way to broadcast information. A successful post can get "re-tweeted" outside of our limited network and picked up by basketball fans around the globe. Its a growing form of communication, and it extends to the mobile world. Many of us are plugged into social networks like Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, and countless others. Talk it up in those networks. Consolidate existing groups and get those groups tighter.

So advertising has a cost right? The other thing that I think should be done to help BB to grow is to require a Supporter purchase at some point during the game. Maybe the lowest two divisions per country could be free, but to advance beyond you must purchase the supporter feature? At a minimum it takes two seasons to advance out.

If you're still playing at that level for free, I would encourage all of you to consider investing in a Supporter package.

This Post:
96748.42 in reply to 96748.20
Date: 10/23/2009 8:26:14 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
They had an add with RealGM.com, that's what brought me to BB.com about a year ago.

This Post:
96748.43 in reply to 96748.42
Date: 10/24/2009 8:15:44 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Make an app on facebook!

This Post:
96748.44 in reply to 96748.43
Date: 10/24/2009 9:11:36 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Make an app on facebook!
That will surely bring a lot of people. The question is how to do that and what should it cover. Would it be a new game? It most definately should not be a step for the BB to become a facebook app altogether, although I guess it would be a lot of money in it...

Warning, revolutionary idea:
I've got it! A facebook application with "collector cards" of a selective few teams, rotating/changing from time to time. (Or: one player from each team by wish from each manager(to make the existing users aware) or players above a certain level, or some other criteria). This would need some resources, but could bring BB manager closer on facebook (possibly making BB more visible on profiles), and most likely bring more people to BB. Many would probably only use the facebook app (this could also be a source of income for the BB to pay their own salaries so they could work full time and hire the ones they need). It could be several sections, for instance sorted into different series by divisions, country, or regions. Every one should be able to collect each category, and get some kind of reward when they complete a set (trophy or something (like in PS3 games or like the tournament trophy)).

What about contacting Zynga, Playfish or some existing facebook app company if you need skilled people? Perhaps they are also the ones to produce more player photo addons? (more heads, eyes, beards, headbands, goggles, etc.). Sorry for the mess with all the (parantheses?), but that's how it is with "middle-of-the-night" ideas. I wonder if this idea is as good when I wake up in the morning...

Edit: Here is some examples of what I am thinking:
(http://kampanjeweb.apt.no/norsktipping/fotballkort/) (in norwegian)
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trading_card#Sports_cards)

Last edited by Svett Sleik (U21-Scout Norge) at 10/25/2009 8:35:18 AM

This Post:
96748.45 in reply to 96748.44
Date: 10/25/2009 12:17:59 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
To catch the attention of the princeton elite (BB's), here is another example of how it could be done:
(http://www.princetonbasketball.com/?cat=38)
What I like about this card is the little summary of his career on the backside.

This Post:
96748.46 in reply to 96748.45
Date: 10/25/2009 6:04:38 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
this is a good idea, indeed....

but still i had to post this idea in which I think is good idea also...

Incorporate the BB account into your facebook account.. But not all should be incorporated... just the arena, rosters, and schedule, standings maybe.. and then when there is a game live, users could publish it in their profile that their team is having a game and inviting users if they want to watch. (Game viewer could be a simplified version of the actual viewer here, maybe removing the x and o's.. less is more and it is enticing to viewers, enticing enough to try the game themselves.)

The app is strictly for players with BB teams only (i dunno how would people wanna join BB if they'll have it in facebook, anyways) and main purpose is to invite others to what the hype is about.

It's good timing too because the game happens at 6:00-8:00 pm (Manila time) and it's the same time (I think) that people might wanna go facebook-ing... perfect opportunity to be noticed.

To incorporate the BB team in facebook, they have to use the access key for the app to recognize which team should be in the right user.

Whaddya think? And now that we have two suggestions for a FB app, maybe there are others who might want t pitch in other ideas. (We could make it in another thread if the majority thinks that having Facebook app is the good choice for BB expansion.)

Last edited by Katchafire Collie at 10/25/2009 6:08:37 PM

This Post:
96748.47 in reply to 96748.46
Date: 10/25/2009 6:16:01 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
(We could make it in another thread if the majority thinks that having Facebook app is the good choice for BB expansion.)

Way ahead of you: (116740.1) ...and the majority. I got so hyped up on my own idea I've been refreshing every 5 minutes to see if anyone commented ;)

This Post:
96748.48 in reply to 96748.47
Date: 10/25/2009 6:33:09 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I was talking about making a thread about ideas on a facebook app, such like people post ideas just like ours... More like, the "Suggest your facebook app" thread :)

Last edited by Katchafire Collie at 10/25/2009 6:34:28 PM

This Post:
96748.49 in reply to 96748.48
Date: 10/25/2009 6:37:47 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Yeah, I understand that, but seeing I had already made that thread I couldn't change it into a general FB suggestion thread. It could be a separate one though, since the Trading Card thingy is something that does not exist at the present.

This Post:
96748.50 in reply to 96748.49
Date: 10/25/2009 6:42:05 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Well, in the first place you put it that you want the thread to be named that way... I could change it into a more generalized thread title if that's what you want. :)

This Post:
96748.51 in reply to 96748.50
Date: 10/25/2009 6:49:32 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Sure. That would be swell Can't wait to see if this catches on

Advertisement