Match Viewer (thread closed)

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
677.49 in reply to 677.8
Date: 10/1/2007 11:16:50 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
This match viewer bores me to tears.

Something happens.... wait.... wait..... wait... shot clock gets to 3... something happens.... rebound..... wait.... wait... wait.....Change screens, come back... what I can't even scroll up to see what has happened this quarter? Can I increase the speed? Can I review the game and see just the important bits? No, no, you just have to wait...

Its a better viewer than Hattrick, but its a long way short of "best online match viewer".

Your post is a little older now, but I'll have a go at answering some of these.

The lack of scrolling to see what has happened is a concious design decision to reduce memory usage within the browser. Especially with firefox, flash tends to go ballistic with its memory requirements when handling a lot of text. It's a flaw of the flash player with firefox and not something I can do much about.

I found also during my initial testing versions that a scroll box offers very little added value as most of the reports are same old, same old. The box score and the shot diagram tend to give you the information you need when reviewing anyway, the text just clogs up memory and slows things down. If you have a different opinion on this, then feel free to express it.

Final thing:
I'd rather watch my game with one of the pbp-viewers for SimulatedSports basketball any day of the week.

could you point me towards one of these, so I can take a look, so that we're on the same page as to what you consider "great". Much appreciated ...

This Post:
677.50 in reply to 677.49
Date: 10/10/2007 10:14:43 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Sorry for the late reply.

http://sscomp.simbball.com/
http://www.drivethelane.com/bask/dlviewer.asp

There's a number of different user generated tools for reading the SS pbp (play-by-play) file. I think the "Super Viewer" one has probably had the most work put into it.

Message deleted
This Post:
677.52 in reply to 677.51
Date: 10/10/2007 1:13:36 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
No worries about the late reply. Thanks very much for the links. I'll have a look.

This Post:
677.53 in reply to 677.52
Date: 10/18/2007 6:16:55 AM
Balls of Steel
IV.10
Overall Posts Rated:
one suggestion for match viewer-

It would be nice if the text describing action from my players in one color and text for my opponent in another color. I cant seem to memorize all 18 names on my roster! :( With one team's text being a different color from the other team's, it will be much easier to follow the action

This Post:
677.54 in reply to 677.53
Date: 10/18/2007 9:36:33 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
hahaha

good sugestion. I think very soon you will have memorized all the skills and even height of your players, but I still like your suggestion a lot.

This Post:
677.55 in reply to 677.54
Date: 10/24/2007 7:04:45 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
This is a slightly different tilt than much of what's being discussed here, but something I think could be very valuable, especially when scouting a future opponent.

It would be nice if we could filter the shots displayed in the viewer by a certain player, rather than having to see the entire team's shots (which should still be the default). Would make a huge difference when trying to figure out, for example, how to defend the opposing team's best player--is their top PG/SG a shooter or driver? Is their SF a perimeter or inside guy? How often is the PF/C stepping out to shoot and leaving rebounds open?

Perhaps the improved match ratings will get at this point, and some of it can be deduced by seeing % of shots that are for 3, but that's rather inexact. The data's all there, and the shots are even already coded with the shooter's name--though it's painful to hover over every shot to determine where a specific guy is playing--so perhaps this wouldn't be a huge change? Nothing currently happens when you click on a player's name, so that could be the trigger for it. Thanks for listening!

This Post:
677.56 in reply to 677.55
Date: 10/26/2007 6:03:17 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
wozzvt that sounds like an awesome idea.

This Post:
677.57 in reply to 677.56
Date: 10/26/2007 7:13:11 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I love the sound of the buzzer. if it would be possible to add it and have that sound to buzz at the end of the 24 seconds and in the end of the hole time, it will feel much more entertaining.
the suggestion above, doesn't mean that i don't like it as it is now. i love it a lot, you have done a great job

This Post:
677.58 in reply to 677.57
Date: 10/27/2007 12:20:14 AM
1986 Celtics
IV.21
Overall Posts Rated:
the name is buzzerbeater isn't it....

This Post:
677.59 in reply to 677.11
Date: 10/27/2007 4:23:43 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I really love this match viewer. Ok so sometimes when games are boring they are boring but tight games on this match viewer are great to watch the wait between a rebound and a score just makes you shout " SCORE SCORE SCORE! " more.

I watch and shout for teams even though they are not mine. Raonne can be a witness to that. lol

Creator of (http://www.buzzerbeaterstats.com) and (http://www.buzzerbeaternews.com/) -- Ex GM of Australia -- Division 1 winner of Italy Season 1 then moved team to Australia after the country was created by the BBs. Australian team manager for 2 seasons. Won various tournaments and division 1 titles in the following seasons.
Advertisement