Picking players to scout

Set priority
Show messages by

To: RiP
This Post:
73282.6 in reply to 73282.5
Date: 2/15/2009 8:14:10 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
sorry sometimes it is hard to explain for me ;)

If you set your points manually, you could look forward to get all the best pick, and if you know that your mate have a 18y SG with 5 Potential, you could look for SG especially to get him too. Thats why the draft list was generated, in one step at the end off the season.

This wasn't possible when you make it manually.

The other point, was that scouting with low money haven't to be to efficient, so that it makes sense to invest more. if you scout today with 40k you know the most players, but if i share the points manually i will find the most 5 Star players too, or at least i know there age and potential, so it makes nearly no sense to invest lot money into the draft when you change it. Or you have to change the system at all, in reducing the points you get for scouting for example.

So the change you like to see, won#t come and the BB said similiar thing in the past - so your common wish are already answered with an 'no' from the BB and wasn't unanswered and i hope you see the problems who appear through those change.

To: RiP
This Post:
73282.8 in reply to 73282.7
Date: 2/16/2009 3:13:19 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
i like to scout for 5 or 10k too, but you get still an advantage if you scout for more and it could make sence in spezific situations. but i don't see the necessary to make it mor efficient, when it already very strong to scout with low cost.

This Post:
73282.9 in reply to 73282.6
Date: 2/16/2009 3:49:45 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Good point. :) I never thought of this when I made the suggestion.

Do people share information they have about the players they scouted? I thought that it will always put the person who will draft higher at a disadvantage.

This Post:
73282.10 in reply to 73282.9
Date: 2/16/2009 3:59:40 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
to be honest i know some guys pretty good, and i could imagine that i was making a share deal early in the season ;) Also there are often 2-3 very strong looking players in the draft, so even if you draft late it is an advantage to know all of them, to get at least one even if that means that my mate picks one i found.

This Post:
73282.11 in reply to 73282.9
Date: 2/16/2009 12:03:48 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Do people share information they have about the players they scouted? I thought that it will always put the person who will draft higher at a disadvantage.

The draft is set up so it is very difficult to share information accurately.

I have seen the arguement a few times about not scouting a poor player a second time and I would like to throw my 1.5 cents in. The ratings for these players are not in comparison to the average person. I look at the 1 star, D- players as still the best players on thier teams by far (high school, college, whatever)

Example: When I played High school ball, there was a kid on our team who was better than anyone in our conference by far. He got scouted often by top college scouts. A scout from Indiana came and saw him play once and he was sick, played horrible, and we got creamed (Definetly a 1-2 star scouting session). A couple months later when we were in the regionals, they scouted him again and he had an outstanding game, far surpassing his normal stats. He played for Bobby Knight and the Hoosiers the next season. For those who fact check, his name was Dean Garrett. Sure he put up a 1 star effort the first time, but really that is compared to all the 0 star F- players no one scouted (like me!)

The ratings are in comparison to the field of excellent young talent, not to all the players that play. Hope that made sense, lol.

This Post:
73282.12 in reply to 73282.11
Date: 2/16/2009 12:16:42 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Oddly enough, my one-a-day calendar has a blurb about 22 years ago today when Garrett hit a shot with 4 seconds left in triple OT to beat Wisconsin.

Guess he turned out OK.

NO ONE at this table ordered a rum & Coke
Charles: Penn has some good people
A CT? Really?
Any two will do
Any three for me
Any four will score
Any five are live
This Post:
73282.13 in reply to 73282.12
Date: 2/16/2009 5:12:48 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Yeah, he is doing good, saw him two years ago, his mom still lives here.

He won a national championship with IU (86-87?), drafted by the suns, 7 years in italy 1 in greece. Played for the T-wolves for a few years, and started for Den one year, where he was 6th in blocks, or something like that. Nice guy too. Lives in Minneapolis.

Sorry for the unrelated post, I return you to the subject at hand :)

This Post:
73282.15 in reply to 73282.14
Date: 2/18/2009 10:59:43 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I agree in regards to FT, but if your grannie is gonna guard me in the post, my IS and ID just skyrocketed, the scouts are going to adore me. If your scouts wanna come over and watch grannie shoot horse, by all means :)

To be honest I think you pointed out a flaw in the game. It seems very unrealistic to have a player come out of high school as a top prospect and not be able to hit free throws at all. I mean like 0-24 or the like. My story was only meant to offer the point that excellent prospects often dont pan out at the next level, and that gems come out of nowhere to excell at the next level in the real world, and in a roundabout way the system does here as well.

Last edited by Heathcoat at 2/18/2009 11:09:55 PM