Suggestions > 4th Qrt Tactics

4th Qrt Tactics

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
124105.63 in reply to 124105.62
Date: 1/12/2010 3:02:54 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
did you think the most clever is the one who fall back first, and then make the adjustment to catch the opponent, short before the finish so that he didn't get an wrong tactic indikator which gives him a sign to react. Or did you think it is smart, damn i am in front, now i had to change my d and offense, because maybe my opponent change it.

you see how much fun and variation such an option brings. you totally got it right: First of all you will have to scout opponents to see how they usually play. Then you anticipate their moves, which means: you can not be sure they will exactly play in the same way against you, because they might fear that you scouted them and have made adjustments to beat them. So you anticipate each others moves.

A team which is behind, still has to make up the difference. For example if the difference is 15 to 20 points, it will still be difficult to catch up, you might need an entire quarter or more for that even with a favourable tactic, if teams have equal strengths. And then again eventually, you have foreseen in a tactic such as "if -after 35 minutes-, team -up by 15 points-, switch to -3/2 zone- in defense and -patient- in offense". Which would eat up time. You will have to play around with that then, but it is a lot of fun to see if you were able to anticipate correctly, or if you'd been totally predictable.

In the end it will in 90 % of the cases be still the stronger team, who wins. Only if you got totally owned by all your tactical decisions your weaker opponent would have a slight chance of winning. You should again be aware, I am not talking about letting league 4 teams win against league 2 or 1 teams. tactical cleverness is interesting when equal teams meet each other. A weaker team has always a certain disadvantage because of the missing skills to win against a better team, even in a perfectly favourable tactical set up. The weaker team will still make less shots/ defend worse than a good or great team. A weak team would not be able to wipe out a much better team with just the right tactics.

This Post:
124105.64 in reply to 124105.63
Date: 1/12/2010 3:14:27 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
this anticipation is pretty different if you just vary the time or the poitn of different, and then we again could have the random tactical change, like discussed we have before in choosing if who mostly say minute X.
And that making offense too powerfull and taking tactic out of defence, which just make good teams stronger and removing tactical depth.

Last edited by CrazyEye at 1/12/2010 3:15:39 AM

This Post:
124105.65 in reply to 124105.64
Date: 1/12/2010 3:52:56 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I think you overrate the offensive ability to score. A good percentage to score in a season is what? 50-55%. Even the best players of the world don't have better stats that that.

Are there players who have played more that 10 season games and have a percentage over that? I don't think so, and if, then it's not realistic.

A wrong defensive set up against an offensive system doesn't mean naturally that you will be overrun in 5 minutes.

You also gave me another idea: What if we could control when timeouts are taken and what is going to be modified in the timeouts? For example: "If team -0-10 run- , take timeout and switch in defense to -man to man- and in offense to -look inside-"? Like that the if-modifications would be done in timeouts, like a real game. Oh wow that would be sooo awesome.

As there are 7 possible timeouts, we could say in 4 timeouts (full timeouts) modifications can be done tactically, and in 3 (30 sec timeouts) you can just change line up. and you can not change both in any timeouts, as it would take longer to explain the tactic switch and change the line p at the same time.

This Post:
124105.66 in reply to 124105.65
Date: 1/12/2010 4:57:08 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
so your try in making tactics more important, is to make them less important?

And maybe you won't catchup ten points in ten minutes, but over a game you make them easily with a tactic - and as i say you can not react to it and even not predict just ebcause yu don't want to play normal focus offense who are exactly made for your purpose.

Last edited by CrazyEye at 1/12/2010 5:00:29 AM

This Post:
124105.67 in reply to 124105.65
Date: 1/12/2010 11:25:56 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
How come you still do not understand that it is pointless to put in tactics for every "IF". If you are down by 5 point at 35 min mark, if you are down by 10 points at 26 min mark, etc. The list can be endless. With your switching tactics every 5 mins, negates having any tactic at all. With setting offencive and defencive tactics every quarter, I can assure you that I can play the entire season without anyone having a chance to get any of my games right, without being superextremelucky. Game engine is developed for those timeout changes and end of the game subs, tactics.
Humor me: what if you play run&gun against an opponent who plays 2-3 def. You are down by 15 at the 38 min mark. Let's say you're "IF" comes in now and changes your tactic to full court press and LI. You would be slaughtered.
+ your suggestion makes the game even harder for newcomers to start playing. Thus noone sticks to the game with 283718726 different tactic choises to go through before every game.
I hope this get's locked soon.

This Post:
124105.68 in reply to 124105.67
Date: 1/12/2010 12:01:32 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I hope this get's locked soon.

We don't lock Suggestions threads unless they spiral into repetitive flaming.

NO ONE at this table ordered a rum & Coke
Charles: Penn has some good people
A CT? Really?
Any two will do
Any three for me
Any four will score
Any five are live
This Post:
124105.69 in reply to 124105.66
Date: 1/12/2010 2:00:04 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I am trying to give managers and coaches more power concerning tactical choices and make them feel to have more influence on the outcome to the game. I said that tactics are important, and I think tactics should play a more important role than enthusiasm, but still the most important goal should be to create a good team. Therefore I was explaining that a weak team should not be able to win against a very strong team just by choosing the right tactics.

Teams which are skillwise not so far apart should try to anticipate each others moves and win with tactical cleverness, be it choosing the right offense or defense after a certain time, or a certain situation. The if-term suggestion is coming from a game I already played some years ago and I thought it was thrilling to see that in certain situations the tactical switch you had prepared for a certain situation before the game changed the outcome of the game.

I will ignore the post of Kukoc as I see he didn't read all posts and just tries, as usual, scare people who suggest things away. I 've read in different other forum topics that he just is there to make people feel stupid, and that is really strange and immature behaviour I think from a 30 year old man, as he claims to be.

Timeouts would be a great place to effect the tactic changes.

Last edited by Coach Ash at 1/12/2010 2:04:03 PM

This Post:
124105.70 in reply to 124105.69
Date: 1/12/2010 2:11:16 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I would also want to stress that maybe the Buzzerbeater community can discuss about useful if-situations where a tactic switch is possible. For example we can say it is possible to switch tactics after certain time ranges (all 5 minutes or all ten minutes or even just by quarters) and for certain situations such as points being behind or in front (5, 10, 15, 20 points).

The if-terms should not be personnally created but there must be a certain scheme that Buzzerbeater is ready to offer, based on what they think the game engine can handle without being too overwhelmed.

Last edited by Coach Ash at 1/12/2010 2:12:03 PM

This Post:
124105.71 in reply to 124105.69
Date: 1/12/2010 2:11:26 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Timeouts would be a great place to effect the tactic changes.

there wont ever be tactic changes during live game as game is calculate before you actually see it live...

but there could be possible to set different line ups and tactics for each quater before the game and choose who suppose to get ball if opponent goes straight to foul you or who suppose to try score from 3pt line (random would take a part too so not every time your team could give the ball for the player you set so others would shoot or get ball too but most of the times the player you have chosen to do that)

And it`s really no point to argue about tactics change opportunity during live game, cause it`s impossible.

ZyZla - ZyZlūnas ZyZlavotas ~c(=

This Post:
124105.72 in reply to 124105.71
Date: 1/12/2010 2:13:37 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
:) I'm still not talking about tactic switches in the game, but set before the game.

If you could decide before the game when you want to take the timeouts to switch tactics...that's what I meant. Sorry for the confusion.

To make it clearer: you would set before the game: take timeout in minute 15 and switch offense to run and gun and defense to 3-2 zone.

Last edited by Coach Ash at 1/12/2010 2:15:54 PM

This Post:
124105.73 in reply to 124105.72
Date: 1/12/2010 2:20:35 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
To make it clearer: you would set before the game: take timeout in minute 15 and switch offense to run and gun and defense to 3-2 zone.

and that`s what I hope will be possible to do in the future.

ZyZla - ZyZlūnas ZyZlavotas ~c(=
Advertisement