Suggestions > Draft Lottery

Draft Lottery

Set priority
Show messages by

This Post:
31628.8 in reply to 31628.7
Date: 5/18/2008 11:55:52 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
why lotteryshould give extra information, i think the draft order is the best thing to get randomed like in the NBA with best chanche for the last.

This Post:
31628.9 in reply to 31628.7
Date: 5/18/2008 11:22:10 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Great idea.

This Post:
31628.10 in reply to 31628.1
Date: 5/19/2008 2:36:26 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Or perhaps change the format from a pure draft.

1) Everybody ranks their players like now.

2) Every team selects their top ranked player. If only one team has selected a player, he goes to that team. If multiple teams have selected a player, then his team is chosen by a lottery, which could be weighted on the basis of how a team finished.

3) Every team that did not get their 1st pick, selects their next highest ranked player that is still available. If only one team has selected a player, he goes to that team. If multiple teams have selected a player, then he goes to the team that had ranked him highest. If two teams had given him the same ranking, then a lottery is held.

4) Step 3 is repeated until all teams have selected a player.

5) Now that all teams have one pick, the process of steps 3 and 4 is repeated until all teams have a 2nd pick. The process is repeated for the 3rd pick.

Weighting for any lotteries should be based on the record, and not the finishing place. If 5 teams finish 8-14 there is no reason to make any distinction based on points scored. If some other teams are 7-15 or 9-13 the difference should be fairly minor. Possible weighting: 3 + sqrt(#losses). This should discourage throwing games to get a good draft pick.

Teams that enter during the season should have a wieghting adjustment. There is no reason to give a team that takes over a 0-22 team a much better draft than another team that takes over a 22-0 team, when they will start the season at 0-0. Perhaps new teams could be weighted solely on the basis of games played.

This Post:
31628.11 in reply to 31628.10
Date: 5/19/2008 3:05:32 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
i personally don't like it, because itwas to far away of the known draft system and don't have the opurtunity to get live draft in the future.

This Post:
31628.12 in reply to 31628.11
Date: 5/19/2008 8:04:21 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I don't think we will ever have a live draft where teams can actively change their draft order. At best we will have a live replay, like we do with games. And my system could be used with a live replay as easily as the current system.

This is how the current draft works. The teams line up in a queue, with their draft lists. The first team makes their pick, and the other teams cross it off their list. The next team goes ahead and picks the top remaining player, and so on. The team that drafts last may have there eye on their 1st choice all through the round, as their lower choices are picked by other teams. And then the 2nd to last team has their turn, and they pick their 7th choice, who just happens to be the 1st choice of the next team.

A draft lottery would scramble it a bit, but would still mean the last teams are stuck with what ever is left.

But my system is like everyone goes over to their 1st pick. If a team wants a given player more than anyone else, he will go with that team. If multiple teams want a player about the same, he will go with the weaker team where he can make more of an impact.

Imagine if you were the agent for a player, and you were talking to a scout about your client. He makes a whinnying sound, and then a sound like a buzz saw. You ask him what the sounds are, and he says something about a horsemeat factory. You suddenly realize that he is giving you his evaluation of your player. Would you want that team drafting him, or a team that had rated him higher?

So my system is a bit more like a FA system, but without cash involved. I think you may be able to give more information about players in such a system.

Another possible system would be more like the TL, except you would be spending something other than cash, so that lower ranked teams could be given more of this resource to offer to the young FA. So imagine if you went to this new TL, but instead of searching, you would be shown the players you had scouted. You could then no more about them, but might be bidding against other teams in your country who had scouted him. You could allocate your bidding resources accordingly.

This Post:
31628.13 in reply to 31628.12
Date: 5/20/2008 3:46:52 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
yeah and if you drafted unpopular first picks you get easily 3 5* draftees, and other maybe just one and a lot of crap.

And i think it to much confusing the system, because you can't see why you just get your pick number 10.

This Post:
31628.14 in reply to 31628.13
Date: 5/20/2008 4:10:24 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Sure you could see why you got your #10 pick..

Imagine this visualization. On "draft day", the names of the players that you have ranked are revealed, so that you know that you have Joe Smith as your top rated player instead of Player No. 11.

Each team would have an avatar, and these would slide over by the picture of their #1 pick. If this was a unique matchup, the player would return with a smiling avatar to join his new team. The players would also be crossed off your draft list.

If there were multiple teams that had selected a player, there would be a drawing to decide which team would get the player, and the succesful team would take their pick back to their team. The other avatars would slide back to their team, with a disappointed expression.

Those who didn't get their first pick would slide over to their next pick, and the process would repeat, and so on.

This Post:
31628.15 in reply to 31628.14
Date: 5/20/2008 6:33:47 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
but it is somekind of irritating when you have to look on 16 teams to see why who get to this team. And if geton high pick numbers you are the last for every good decision

This Post:
31628.16 in reply to 31628.11
Date: 5/21/2008 7:37:23 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I like the lottery idea...but would it be like the NBA and include only the non-playoff teams or all teams?

Steve

This Post:
31628.17 in reply to 31628.16
Date: 5/22/2008 12:28:25 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I think it should include all teams. Maybe have the lottery style for the non-playoff teams and then the playoff teams would be ranked by how they finished the season(or playoffs?).

Advertisement