BB USA > Is it even relevant?

Is it even relevant? (thread closed)

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
241167.73 in reply to 241167.72
Date: 5/1/2013 12:47:52 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Since we are looking to millennial old religious texts for guidance on this topic let me quote one:

“Even a wise person acts according to his own nature; all living entities are controlled by their own natures. What will repression accomplish?”

Bhagavad Gita Chapter 3, Verse 33

This Post:
241167.74 in reply to 241167.73
Date: 5/1/2013 5:11:39 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
You couldn't find a good Kama Sutra quote? I bet Jason Collins has read it.

I wish there were pigmen. You get a few of these pigmen walking around I'm looking a whole lot better. Then if somebody wants to fix me up at least they could say, Hey he's no pig-man!
This Post:
241167.75 in reply to 241167.74
Date: 5/1/2013 6:05:12 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Teehee, I get it cuz Bhagavad Gita and Kama Sutra are similar cuz they are from Indian culture right? Joke that Collins read it was a good one too

This Post:
241167.76 in reply to 241167.75
Date: 5/1/2013 6:09:30 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Yeah, I just can't tell if you're being sarcastic!

I wish there were pigmen. You get a few of these pigmen walking around I'm looking a whole lot better. Then if somebody wants to fix me up at least they could say, Hey he's no pig-man!

This Post:
241167.77 in reply to 241167.9
Date: 5/1/2013 6:58:17 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
You are correct, your relationship with your wife is more than just about the act of sex...and a gay person should feel free to love who they want....and I don't look at your relationship with your wife as courageous, or anything that should be put on a pedestal, just like gay people in love shouldn't be either. Who people love shouldn't matter to the next person....but with this issue, and the sympathetic nature that has come from it, like Fewmit said, a changing view on homosexuality, the media and others are now esteeming them for declaring this aspect of their lives.

Heaven help me for jumping into this thread when there are still pages of unread posts, but I think the point here needs to be raised. For all the angst over gay people coming out, let's not forget that while as a straight man of little import to the world at large, I'll never have a press conference announcing my sexuality, every time I go out somewhere with my wife, that's pretty much announcing my sexuality to the world. The mere act of bringing a significant other to a party or a church or for dinner or anything else is a very small deal indeed for heterosexuals, but the fact that it is such a huge deal for someone to even let it be known that they are homosexual shows there's still a long way to go. I imagine that homosexuals and heterosexuals alike would love a world where the concept of coming out wasn't relevant - you love who you love, and nobody looks the other way. And if we were in that world, it would be a wonderful thing. But you know and I know that if an athlete were to bring his boyfriend out to dinner on Valentines' Day or get tickets for his partner to sit with the WAGs or even attempt to marry someone for love rather than to be on a reality show, it would be just as big a circus as "coming out" but would replace the dignity of controlling the admission with the notoriety of being "outed".

Unfortunately, we're still a country of prefixes. We're not Americans, not men or women - if you're black, you're an "African American", if you're homosexual, you're a "gay man" or a "lesbian woman", and if you believe in Allah you're a "Muslim American" (or "Islamist"). Hopefully when my son grows up and have kids, he'll be able to talk about how stupid his father's generation was in putting so much emphasis on the words that categorize a man or woman and so little on the man or woman themselves.

This Post:
241167.78 in reply to 241167.77
Date: 5/1/2013 7:21:04 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Wow, and then after reading there was a major religious tangent.

My God is a God of love. He loves sinners, because honestly without us, who's left? I'm just not sure that I ever remember Jesus shunning men frolicking in a bathhouse, or telling others to not love their neighbors even as He loves them. I do remember Him overturning the tables of the money changers, and strongly disapproving of usury.

This Post:
241167.79 in reply to 241167.69
Date: 5/2/2013 10:01:13 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Hey guys! Just wanted to jump in too! Anyway, concerning the people talking about following the commandments of the Old Testament, when Jesus died on the cross the Mosaic law was broken. The Mosaic law (OT law) was for people to understand their sin and recognize it, but now we have been given the Holy Spirit to live in us and convict us.

Also, I agree wholeheartedly with Nateillo and hrudley. God is a God of love, he loves all people but hates sin. It's not the people that we disagree with in themselves, it is the sin. I sin. Every single day of my life I fall short of the glory of God but the GRACE in that is He still loves me and wants a relationship with me.

I don't think it is wrong for a man to love another man. Paul and Timothy, for example, loved each other deeply and it was brotherly and real. What I think is sin is the homosexual acts when lustful impulses take over in a person. Some people struggle with those impulses, and some people openly relish in them. It's just like any other struggle one may have with alcohol, lust with a woman, etc. Each sin is sin and none is greater than the other.

This Post:
241167.80 in reply to 241167.79
Date: 5/2/2013 11:28:44 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
So, a man and a woman can have a non-lustful, physical relationship that is ok by your standards, but there's no way that a same sex couple can have the same? Meaning ALL physical relationships between same sex couples are sins.

That seems a bizarre, non-sensical, and just messed up conclusion to me.

This Post:
241167.81 in reply to 241167.79
Date: 5/2/2013 11:37:36 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I appreciate your feedback.

But one thing confuses me here. If the Mosaic law was broken, why do people still use Leviticus as the justification for saying this particular behavior is sinful? Why are all the other laws broken, but not that one?

This Post:
241167.82 in reply to 241167.81
Date: 5/2/2013 12:09:01 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I appreciate your feedback.

But one thing confuses me here. If the Mosaic law was broken, why do people still use Leviticus as the justification for saying this particular behavior is sinful? Why are all the other laws broken, but not that one?

That comment cannot go unchecked.....
Leviticus is used. ..... was that part of the Mosaic law or a direct command from our heavy father?
Don't forget the three scriptures provided that are in the new testament.
And true of the point of when Christ died for our sins n that made the Mosaic law null and void.
But to the (Orthodox) of Jewish heritage.... that point is not recognized.. the impact of Christ death I mean. . So they still observe the Mosaic law and all the oral traditions that they view is law.

This Post:
241167.83 in reply to 241167.80
Date: 5/2/2013 12:23:07 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
No I never said I think it's okay for a man and woman to have a non-lustful, physical relationship. Only a physical relationship if they are married.

Advertisement