BB USA > NFL Talk

NFL Talk

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
220571.76 in reply to 220571.75
Date: 8/25/2012 3:10:31 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Wow, I can't believe Chiefs are the discussion. You really can't say much about the AFC West because I feel like every team in the division will just have a mediocre season. I mean last season everyone had an 8-8 record except for the Chiefs... The Broncos were able to squeeze into the playoffs. 2010, the Chiefs were able to edge out the Chargers to go to the playoffs.

Of all the QBs in the AFC West - I feel like all these QBs are in the decline, they probably wont produce better numbers this season.

I don't think Cassel will have a great season, but even then all the other QBs are questionable. Rivers probably wont have a great star but he is by far the less risky choice. Manning has so many risks... he's also playing in an outdoor stadium, this guy doesn't play well outdoors. Palmer has no weapons, I like Palmer but... yea.

Anyways, Its really bold to predict who will come out on top. I've been predicting the Chiefs to come out nearly every year... and I've been wrong for the past 7 years. In 2010, I thought the Chargers were unstoppable and the chiefs ended up going to the playoffs. That being said, I'm going to say the Chiefs wont win the division... they also wont win the Superbowl. Your welcome chiefs fans.

This Post:
220571.77 in reply to 220571.76
Date: 8/26/2012 4:04:33 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I find it hilarious that so many posters claimed the Broncos made the playoffs based on defense and write about them as if they have a top defense. To put it simply, their defense is not very good at all.

They were 20th in total yards allowed
They were 24th in points given up

This puts them in the lower half of defenses, are arguably in the lower 3rd when considering points. When you also factor in they ran the ball more than any other team keeping the clock running and reducing the number of plays per game on both sides of the ball it just doesnt add up that everyone keeps posting how the defense carried them into the playoffs. They played tough in a couple of games, but overall, the Broncos defense sucked last year. The only thing I can think of why so many believe falsely about the Broncos defense is the whole Tebow thing. Fans and ESPN were so reluctant to give Tebow any credit that we just kept hearing the spin that they were winning with defense. With how much the Broncos are going to shift to a passing game (extending the game and causing more plays on both sides) and how little they did to bolster their below average defense (the offseason in Denver has had little to do with the defense) I would expect the Denver defense number to drop them even further towards the bottom, but not too far, there are close to the bottom allready.

This Post:
220571.78 in reply to 220571.76
Date: 8/26/2012 5:40:50 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Chiefs.

I think the Chiefs had a terrible string of injuries last year to start the season. With Cassel and Charles out, plus several other key players hurt before the season even started, no one expected them to do as well as they actually did last season, which wasnt great, and certainly didnt match the 10-6(?) record they scored in 2010, but was better than I and others expected. Do I think they are AFC contenders? Nah. AFC west contenders? Sure. With weapons like Charles and Hillis, Bowe and Baldwin to support Cassel (not a great qb, but much better than anything they had last season) they have a shot at the division.

Chargers.

GReat Talent on both sides of the ball still, though not on par with previous recent years. With Gates and Mathews healthy, and a bit of a resurgence from Rivers, who knows? (admittedly a bunch of iffy ifs) However, They are still handicapped by having Norv still at the helm.

Raiders

A much improved defense in Oakland, and some badly needed secondary help to me elevates them to actually being the favorite, in my humble and not widely shared opinion. Great D line, decent O line, improved secondary. They also have some solid and emerging weapons on offense with guys like Streeter and Taiwan Jones whom I consider impact unknowns (and fantasy sleepers) mixed with McFadden, Jacoby Ford and a fleet WR corp to stretch things out. If Palmer limits his INTs the Raiders look to be eliminated on Wildcard weekend instead of the final reg season game like last year.

Broncos

Man, there is alot of hype on these guys for this year and it all revolves around Peyton. Let us assume he stays healthy, I just dont think his recievers are as good as many on here do. If Thomas hadnt caught that ball that ended the Steelers' playoffs, most of us outside of Denver still wouldnt know who he is, and his route precision is subpar atm, which plays away from Manning's strengths. I like Decker, but he is a possession receiver mediocre as opposed to extraordinaire (some will vehemently deny this, time will tell). Tamme is a decnt TE, and McGahee is sorta kinda meh, alot rides on Peyton to carry this team. Se my previous post concerning their lower tier defense. If the QB is healthy and on par with his career averages, they have a shot. I see this as a 3rd or last place team. Fire away

This Post:
220571.79 in reply to 220571.78
Date: 8/26/2012 6:00:19 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Chiefs.

I think the Chiefs had a terrible string of injuries last year to start the season. With Cassel and Charles out, plus several other key players hurt before the season even started, no one expected them to do as well as they actually did last season, which wasnt great, and certainly didnt match the 10-6(?) record they scored in 2010, but was better than I and others expected. Do I think they are AFC contenders? Nah. AFC west contenders? Sure. With weapons like Charles and Hillis, Bowe and Baldwin to support Cassel (not a great qb, but much better than anything they had last season) they have a shot at the division.

Chargers.

GReat Talent on both sides of the ball still, though not on par with previous recent years. With Gates and Mathews healthy, and a bit of a resurgence from Rivers, who knows? (admittedly a bunch of iffy ifs) However, They are still handicapped by having Norv still at the helm.

Raiders

A much improved defense in Oakland, and some badly needed secondary help to me elevates them to actually being the favorite, in my humble and not widely shared opinion. Great D line, decent O line, improved secondary. They also have some solid and emerging weapons on offense with guys like Streeter and Taiwan Jones whom I consider impact unknowns (and fantasy sleepers) mixed with McFadden, Jacoby Ford and a fleet WR corp to stretch things out. If Palmer limits his INTs the Raiders look to be eliminated on Wildcard weekend instead of the final reg season game like last year.

Broncos

Man, there is alot of hype on these guys for this year and it all revolves around Peyton. Let us assume he stays healthy, I just dont think his recievers are as good as many on here do. If Thomas hadnt caught that ball that ended the Steelers' playoffs, most of us outside of Denver still wouldnt know who he is, and his route precision is subpar atm, which plays away from Manning's strengths. I like Decker, but he is a possession receiver mediocre as opposed to extraordinaire (some will vehemently deny this, time will tell). Tamme is a decnt TE, and McGahee is sorta kinda meh, alot rides on Peyton to carry this team. Se my previous post concerning their lower tier defense. If the QB is healthy and on par with his career averages, they have a shot. I see this as a 3rd or last place team. Fire away

Broncos added a lot of people to their defense, and you forgot they added Joel Dressen in addition to Tamme

Raiders may have improved their secondary, but they lost Kameron Wimbley from their linebacking.

Chiefs, Cassel played a bit last year, not a whole lot, but a bit. No mention by you of Eric Berry's injury as being a reason for their failure.

So... watching the pre-season exhibition sv the 49ers.... still not feeling great about them? that they're over hyped?

I agree with your previous posts about the anti-Tebowness, and so blah bloah for their defense. But, Tebow put them in a position where even though the broncos ran the ball a lot, and that burns time, they went 3 and out QUITE a bit, the defense was on the field for more time of the game than most team's defenses. 2ndly, the field position, so yeah that def helps put them in that lower 1/3 defense area of the NFL.

But, your method of assessing the defense isn't the best either. for example you said they were 20th in yards per game. Detroit whom people would say had a better defense, 23rd. Superbowl winners New York, people would say was a better defense as well, 27th. Oakland, whom you're praising for their defense, 29th.

Denver added Mike Adams whom had a great year in Cleveland and helped them be a top 10 defense last season. as well as a few veteran linebacks, brooking jumps to mind. Also, don't know how much of Derek Wolfe you've seen, but he seems legit. (their safeties are garbage though)

I wish there was more foucs on the NFC West. I don't think SF wins that division on a silver platter like everyone says.
Seattle made m

This Post:
220571.80 in reply to 220571.79
Date: 8/26/2012 6:07:45 PM
Mountain Eagles
III.1
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Ric Flair Drippers
Chiefs.
I think the Chiefs had a terrible string of injuries last year to start the season. With Cassel and Charles out, plus several other key players hurt before the season even started, no one expected them to do as well as they actually did last season, which wasnt great, and certainly didnt match the 10-6(?) record they scored in 2010, but was better than I and others expected. Do I think they are AFC contenders? Nah. AFC west contenders? Sure. With weapons like Charles and Hillis, Bowe and Baldwin to support Cassel (not a great qb, but much better than anything they had last season) they have a shot at the division.Chargers.
GReat Talent on both sides of the ball still, though not on par with previous recent years. With Gates and Mathews healthy, and a bit of a resurgence from Rivers, who knows? (admittedly a bunch of iffy ifs) However, They are still handicapped by having Norv still at the helm.Raiders
A much improved defense in Oakland, and some badly needed secondary help to me elevates them to actually being the favorite, in my humble and not widely shared opinion. Great D line, decent O line, improved secondary. They also have some solid and emerging weapons on offense with guys like Streeter and Taiwan Jones whom I consider impact unknowns (and fantasy sleepers) mixed with McFadden, Jacoby Ford and a fleet WR corp to stretch things out. If Palmer limits his INTs the Raiders look to be eliminated on Wildcard weekend instead of the final reg season game like last year.Broncos

Broncos added a lot of people to their defense, and you forgot they added Joel Dressen in addition to Tamme
Raiders may have improved their secondary, but they lost Kameron Wimbley from their linebacking.
Chiefs, Cassel played a bit last year, not a whole lot, but a bit. No mention by you of Eric Berry's injury as being a reason for their failure.
So... watching the pre-season exhibition sv the 49ers.... still not feeling great about them? that they're over hyped?
I agree with your previous posts about the anti-Tebowness, and so blah bloah for their defense. But, Tebow put them in a position where even though the broncos ran the ball a lot, and that burns time, they went 3 and out QUITE a bit, the defense was on the field for more time of the game than most team's defenses. 2ndly, the field position, so yeah that def helps put them in that lower 1/3 defense area of the NFL.
But, your method of assessing the defense isn't the best either. for example you said they were 20th in yards per game. Detroit whom people would say had a better defense, 23rd. Superbowl winners New York, people would say was a better defense as well, 27th. Oakland, whom you're praising for their defense, 29th.
Denver added Mike Adams whom had a great year in Cleveland and helped them be a top 10 defense last season. as well as a few veteran linebacks, brooking jumps to mind. Also, don't know how much of Derek Wolfe you've seen, but he seems legit. (their safeties are garbage though)
I wish there was morfoucs on the NFCWest. I don't think SF wins that division on a silver platter like everyone says.
Seattle made m

made what?

3 Time NBBA Champion. Certified Trainer. Mentor. Have any questions? Feel free to shoot me a BB-Mail!
This Post:
220571.81 in reply to 220571.80
Date: 8/26/2012 6:08:32 PM
Mountain Eagles
III.1
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Ric Flair Drippers
and yeah I had to revise that cause there was barely room

3 Time NBBA Champion. Certified Trainer. Mentor. Have any questions? Feel free to shoot me a BB-Mail!
This Post:
220571.82 in reply to 220571.79
Date: 8/26/2012 6:16:59 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
(stupid cutting off, it showed fine on mine.... sigh)

Seattle made me think, SF isn't the clear favorite in that division anymore. I know ESPN and everyone thinks SF just has a playoff spot on a silver platter basically....

but with them having already a ...alright-good defense...

then adding in offseason, Kellen Winslow Jr. (600-800 yards receiving), Braylon Edwards (800-1000), Terrell Owens (prob around 600), thats a ton of offense. Also, Owens, Edwards, Winslow are all good blockers (excellent in winslow's case), for the run game as well. Marshawn Lynch had a great year last year, with this added bonus, maybe even better.

These guys join an offense that already had good production out of Golden tate, Sidney Rice, and Zach Miller.
2 TE sets... Miller and Winslow, receivers out there... Lynch running....

Wilson or Flynn, whomever. I think just about any quarterback (Alex Smith included) could take that team to the playoffs. I definitely think they win a wildcard... possibly the division.

This Post:
220571.83 in reply to 220571.82
Date: 8/26/2012 6:22:30 PM
Mountain Eagles
III.1
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Ric Flair Drippers
well at Least the Texans already got the division won on a silver platter

This Post:
220571.84 in reply to 220571.79
Date: 8/26/2012 6:33:31 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Obviously I am not going to mention every single addition to the broncos. OK, they also added Dressen, takes away nor adds anything to my point.

Wimbley is gone, have you seen Burris?

I didnt mention Berry specifically, and the post was long enough without going into detail on each and every injury. You cannot find an analyst who will say the Chiefs werent devastated by injury on both sides of the ball last year. That was my point. I mentioned Cassel, Charles and added "and several other players". Did my not mentioning Berry's name actually change the message, or was it just a ticky tack counter statement?

You are really putting faith in preseason games as if they represent how the reg season will go? Rams went 4-0 last preseason, Miami, Philly and Washington went 3-1, 49ers came in last in their division in preseason record last season. It is preseason and todays exhibition means nothing, not one thing.

I said Oaklands defense is much improved and particulalrly their secondary. They came one win from the playoffs with arguably the worst CBs in the game, now they are better. Who told you Detroit had a good defense? They were among the very worst in passing yard given up last season. Giants had an extremely pourous pass defense as well. Brooking? the guy is what, 36? He will be 37 in Oct. If your defensive improvement is pinned on him, I feel good about my assesment

While Denver did face the 6th most plays from scrimmage on the defense, they werent steller on total yards per play against either, coming in 16th in that category, pretty mediocre in my book. Denver is by no means the worst defense around, but I also dont think thery are anything special, and we wont know until the games are played. I could very easily be completely wrong about them this year, but I stand by my assessment of them last year. Heck, they were mediocre in the stats and they played anemic offenses in Oak and KC twice. Just not as impressive as the 'Denver won on defense" pundits claim. Ho hum at best

This Post:
220571.85 in reply to 220571.82
Date: 8/26/2012 6:40:59 PM
Overall Posts Rated:

Seattle made me think, SF isn't the clear favorite in that division anymore. I know ESPN and everyone thinks SF just has a playoff spot on a silver platter basically....

but with them having already a ...alright-good defense...

then adding in offseason, Kellen Winslow Jr. (600-800 yards receiving), Braylon Edwards (800-1000), Terrell Owens (prob around 600), thats a ton of offense. Also, Owens, Edwards, Winslow are all good blockers (excellent in winslow's case), for the run game as well. Marshawn Lynch had a great year last year, with this added bonus, maybe even better.

These guys join an offense that already had good production out of Golden tate, Sidney Rice, and Zach Miller.
2 TE sets... Miller and Winslow, receivers out there... Lynch running....

Wilson or Flynn, whomever. I think just about any quarterback (Alex Smith included) could take that team to the playoffs. I definitely think they win a wildcard... possibly the division.

Funny thing is that last season people werent riding the 49er wagon until they started rolling. Few picked them as division winners to start the season. Chemistry goes a long way, I suppose.

Owens got cut today. I was very disappointed that the Seahawks didnt take advantage of Miller last year, he is much better receiver than his 2011 stats show. If Skittles stays healthy and their QB is better than last year (would really have to be by default) I too consider them contenders for the division. Good call.

This Post:
220571.86 in reply to 220571.83
Date: 8/26/2012 6:53:40 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
well at Least the Texans already got the division won on a silver platter :)

Yeah. all they have to do is outplay the Titans (Oilers). Should be a gimme

Advertisement