Suggestions > Higher ages in the draft

Higher ages in the draft

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
156825.8 in reply to 156825.7
Date: 9/15/2010 12:54:59 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
NBA rookies know how to play and develop their skills through experience. I dont think Deron Williams is running faster, jumping higher or passing more precisely than he did as a rookie (not to mention the FT-issue). A NBA player is more or less fully developed when he enters the league and might develop in some areas of his game - a Ben Wallace type of career is really rare in pro sports.

BB rookies dont have experience and dont know how to play. They will run faster, jump higher and pass more precisely if they are trained.

This Post:
156825.9 in reply to 156825.8
Date: 9/15/2010 1:45:12 PM
New York Chunks
II.2
Overall Posts Rated:
NBA rookies know how to play and develop their skills through experience. I dont think Deron Williams is running faster, jumping higher or passing more precisely than he did as a rookie (not to mention the FT-issue). A NBA player is more or less fully developed when he enters the league and might develop in some areas of his game - a Ben Wallace type of career is really rare in pro sports.

BB rookies dont have experience and dont know how to play. They will run faster, jump higher and pass more precisely if they are trained.

What, we assume BB rookies never played high school ball? Joakim Noah was fully developed coming out of Florida? Scottie Pippen was a Hall-of-Famer before playing with Michael Jordan?

What you're referring to is another discussion on a critique of the BB training system, you realize. This is recognized and I think most folks here would probably agree with you. Shaq could never shoot free throws. Bad free throw shooters almost never become decent ones, yet somehow we can train that up. What I think you're trying to get at is that players are physically formed when they get to eh NBA (which is often not true, many players bulk up or slim down, strengthen, etc. after they get to NBA, Chauncey Billups is a good example of this), they're just getting better from playing more and more. What BB doesn't take into account is that teams have practices in real life. When MJ could break Scottie down in practice, Scottie got tougher regardless of what happened in games or what the coaching staff was focusing on in practice or game situations.

But I'm not sure what point you were making regarding older draftees.

Don't ask what sort of Chunks they are, you probably don't want to know. Blowing Chunks since Season 4!
This Post:
156825.10 in reply to 156825.9
Date: 9/15/2010 4:22:51 PM
Overall Posts Rated:

What, we assume BB rookies never played high school ball? Joakim Noah was fully developed coming out of Florida? Scottie Pippen was a Hall-of-Famer before playing with Michael Jordan?

Scottie Pippen was a fat boy with acne who play basketball with a basket fixed on his father's garage door?
because also the strongest newly drafted player,against the best players in the Bb world,are at this level

The "Scottie Pippen" level before playing with Jordan in the BB game will be however a 30-40k player
Do you see the difference in the draft between a 4k player and a 35k player?

This Post:
156825.11 in reply to 156825.10
Date: 9/15/2010 5:05:05 PM
New York Chunks
II.2
Overall Posts Rated:
You could make that point about a player that 18/19 years old, too. What would LeBron James' rookie salary have been? How much would John Wall be worth?

For the purpose of BB, we don't have to be talking about rookie salaries. We don't have to make it so any rookies are coming in at 30k salaries. But I still don't see the big argument against rookies as old as 22 years old.

Don't ask what sort of Chunks they are, you probably don't want to know. Blowing Chunks since Season 4!
This Post:
156825.12 in reply to 156825.11
Date: 9/15/2010 5:10:32 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
But I still don't see the big argument against rookies as old as 22 years old.

Put in the draft 22yold rookies with the same skills of the actual 18yold doesn't have any sense

Put 22 years old with high skill will creat greate unbalance in the draft

I don't see reason why 22 years old should be inserted in the draft,imho,we have yet to improve the 19yold level...

This Post:
156825.13 in reply to 156825.11
Date: 9/15/2010 6:22:53 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
But I still don't see the big argument against rookies as old as 22 years old.

18/19 year old players can be developed, a 22 year old 10k player with serious deficits (missing crucial skill) can be dumped right away as training such a player would be a waste of time.

22 year old rookies would only make a sense if they would be strong enough to compete on a mediocre-high level (depening on position that would be 25-50k salaries). How can you put those players in the mix?

I imagine a possible draft could look like this:

Pick 1: 18 year old HOF SG 4k salary
Pick 2: 22 year old All-Star PG 50k salary
Pick 3: 19 year old superstar PF 5k salary
Pick 4: 21 year old star 20k SF salary

That would create huge imbalance, imo. Instead of putting in older rookies in the game I would remove the 19 year olds and make all players start at the age of 18 (or vice versa, remove the 18yo and make all start at 19).

This Post:
156825.14 in reply to 156825.13
Date: 9/15/2010 6:39:58 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
or raise the level of the 19 yold(strong as max skill instead of respectable)

This Post:
156825.15 in reply to 156825.14
Date: 9/15/2010 10:00:00 PM
Overall Posts Rated:

or reduce the one of the 18 year old ;) Training is already worth to less, and the drat shouldn't be stronger then the initial roster.

This Post:
156825.16 in reply to 156825.15
Date: 9/16/2010 2:18:33 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Well if there would be more age variants (18-22) there would be logically lesser of these 18y old drafts and as a ideal situation I would see that there would be like only one or two 18y old MVP or something like that. Well, if anybody want to create an ideal player, they have to do something for it.

I think that the point about that you can get 22y old player with some sufficient skills or have in draft better skills overall is logical, but is true that it makes a training even more worthless. And is good that if you have few skillups on a player, it in fact creates a difference.

If there have to be any differences, is the best way to have them downstairs (therefore basic is awful, best is respectable). So you can see more often that 5balls will get mostly players older than 18y and these above 20 would be like that almost everytime. Otherwise logically why they would apply for a place in the team so late, while they didnt get any improvement?

This is connected to theirs nature, maybe they should have different training speed, so if normal player is in his 22y at 70percent of his training speed, drafted player would be on 60percent, but would sustain like that until he will have 28 or like that. So make sense to train them, but maybe with a cheaper trainer and not very intensive.

This Post:
156825.17 in reply to 156825.15
Date: 9/16/2010 7:43:15 AM
Overall Posts Rated:

or reduce the one of the 18 year old ;).

That's the most unfair thing I've ever seen,about BB.It will be impossible for everyone who is in a low category to reach who is at the top if you reduce the level of the 18yold,that is yet very low for the level of many divisions

Advertisement